Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Housing and land prices seem to be a universal problem in the mountain west now.

I don't know, but I tend to think they're a problem in other regions of the USA as well. I suspect they are in the fast-growing states in the southeast.

I'm sure I won't live long enough to ever see the old prices housing used to be for most of my life return. The United States has more living souls now than then, and though our population isn't growing as fast as some other nations, it's still growing. We all need a domicile of some kind.

Whenever housing is mentioned, the cost of living and wages are mentioned in the same breath. This makes me think the current high housing prices won't be falling anytime soon, but it's quite possible our wages will rise to meet them.

One thing I do know about my home territory: In the west, whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting over.

As it was in the past, so will it be in the future. He who owns the water has the power. That's the way it has always been out here. Newcomers need to keep that fact in mind as soon as they contemplate a move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 04:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
My family homesteaded in southern Wyoming. Most of them moved on after 30 or so years and a few children like myself moved back. We lived in NW Wyo 28 yrs, BUT we were still considered outsiders. Crime has incrementally increased over the last 15 yrs or so. I was shocked by what has happened in Park and Bighorn counties
That is some tough country to homestead. Do Park and Bighorn Counties have a meth problem?

Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
That is some tough country to homestead. Do Park and Bighorn Counties have a meth problem?

Easier to live on the high plateau prairie than in the mountains of NW Wyo.

Meth - not so much that, tho breakins are common when you have tourists and forest cabins. Most caught are the transporters. Both counties are well below the national average. You gotta be there to see it for yourself.

Now up in Montana - or anywhere near a rez or the oil patch - it's almost always meth related.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:09 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
I figure the meth thing to explode all over the State, and the country, as we descend into recession/depression. It's bad enough here in the Flathead as it is ... can't imagine it'll improve when times get tough again. I like Bozeman, but it reminds me too much of Boulder ... nice scenery, tainted with urban sprawl, bad traffic, high costs, and too damn many people. Those issues are creeping into the Flathead as well - it's the way things go.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:19 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
It would be interesting to see where people are coming from in this graph today.....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n.html#Montana
At the time (2012) it added up to 27% born in Blue areas. Figure most of 'em brought their politics with 'em. How long does it take to go solid blue? Let's watch Texas, and find out...

...and that's when our way of life ends, as it has in CA, which used to be not terribly different from MT.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
My understanding is that Social Security income is exempt from Montana state tax for lower income people. If income is below $25k for individuals and $32k for couples. Attempts have been made to raise these thresholds. Check closer for your own situation.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:52 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
My neighbors in California bought their house for $256k in 1995. They sold it last year for $1.2 million. There are tens of thousands of people like them.

The fact is, middle class equity wealth has transformed the country in many bad ways for those who didn't buy at the right time.
Maybe that's due to their bringing their Nimbyism with them. Protest any new development because it will increase traffic in their neighborhood, makes housing more scarce, and up go the house prices.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
At the time (2012) it added up to 27% born in Blue areas. Figure most of 'em brought their politics with 'em. How long does it take to go solid blue? Let's watch Texas, and find out...

...and that's when our way of life ends, as it has in CA, which used to be not terribly different from MT.
People have been saying that Montana will go blue for almost 30 years at least. Hasn't happened yet.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
People have been saying that Montana will go blue for almost 30 years at least. Hasn't happened yet.
Many that leave CA are tired of the high taxation and when they move to another state, just like the many Chicagoans who have moved to Phoenix, they tend to be very, very conservative.

I lived in Conservative Las Vegas for 22 years, and these CA conservatives will vote No every single time to a tax increase, unless it's for more police protection. And they vote Republican and that brings me a good laugh, as the biggest tax increases in NV history were led by 2 Republican Governors, Gibbons and Sandoval over the last 17 years.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:02 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
My understanding is that Social Security income is exempt from Montana state tax for lower income people. If income is below $25k for individuals and $32k for couples. Attempts have been made to raise these thresholds. Check closer for your own situation.

"For example, if an individual is filing alone and has an income below $25,000, their Social Security benefits will not be taxed. If their income level is between $25,000 and $34,000, half of Social Security benefits remain deductible. Once an individual's income exceeds $34,000, only 15 percent of their total benefits are deductible" - source https://finance.zacks.com/montana-re...fits-7461.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana