Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:15 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,699,488 times

Advertisements

I heard your Gov. Brian Schweitzer on the radio today and saying that Montana is booming and that the state has a one billion dollar surplus in state coffers and also the unemployment rate is down to 2.8 (u.s.a. dept of labor stats). Any thoughts from those in montana...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM

529 posts, read 1,897,299 times
"....If you mind your pennies and dimes.... your dollars will take care of themselves.."

Not real sure about the billion, but the booming part of it is right.

Actually, Montana does have a rather large surplus...

Not bad fer-o-bunch-o-klod-kickers huh??...

Montana has been in the black for a long time, along with many of it's major cities. We don't waste a bunch of time on any so-called bleeding heart special interests programs like many other states do..... Our state government is here for us and not the other way around. And they prove it every day.
We take quite a bit of pride in taking care of our own, and don't go running for a state hand out every time the wind blows up someones skirt, like they do in so many other states.

If something doesn't go our particular way... we don't whine about it.... we deal with it. We are not a welfare state by any stretch, and we are very proud of that too.
Everybody just sort of hangs around and pulls their own weight.

Our Governors aren't the slicked up wanna-be corporate types that you see on TV every day begging for bucks, dashing for dollars, with their arm out and their leg up all of the time...
Nope..... Our Governors and state officials are the farm bred, jeans and tee shirt types....... they've worked right beside us in our communities and farms..... they've suffered the hard times and have celebrated the good, right beside us.

Some might call us hokey-doke... but by our good God given common sense values, we're apt to be darn rich hokey-dokes. Not only is Montana unique as far as topography, it is also very unique in that our state officials aren't a bunch of crooks.

They are honest hard working folk... just like the rest of us.

There are a few states that come to mind that could take a good lesson from what we do here in Montana.....

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-29-2006 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: edited for content

Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,810,811 times
This seems like my kind of place! Probably helps that you don't have a lot of newcommers demanding services, or "new urbanists" who just can't wait to take your rights away. I wish this Montana way of thinking would spread through the rest of the country.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,897,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This seems like my kind of place! Probably helps that you don't have a lot of newcommers demanding services, or "new urbanists" who just can't wait to take your rights away. I wish this Montana way of thinking would spread through the rest of the country.
Chances are TallRick, this could easily be your kind of place...
We do get our share of those that attempt to press their own agenda on us though, but our state leaders are quick to recognize the crap and after a bit, our constitution is ammended to disallow it.

It's just not in our nature to negate our moral responbsibility to our community and neighbors. We practice our care and concern for others every time we visit the polls. We meet our challenges head on and refuse to hide under the obscure blanket of things like political correctness.

Politically Correct is an *oxymoron...... there just anything about it that makes any kind of sense that I can see..... If you are sick.. then by golly that's what you are..... there just isn't any getting around it.

The folks that may be disabled in this state do more in three hours than their counterparts in other states do in a week....
We encourage growth on many levels and won't let types like the "new urbanists" bring us down.

I certainly don't mind encouraging folks to live the real life in Montana. That is, if they are up to it. Many who come here don't make it, because they just can't bring themselves to care for others in their community.... they are much too self obsorbed to lend caring to anything else but themselves....
These are those types that my fellow natives complain about in these forums all the time..
We aren't at all interested in "agenda's"...... or those who would care to call a horse by any other name.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,571,016 times
Bozeman and Missoula are probably the hottest spots, as far as economic expansion is concerned. But most of the large-ish towns are doing quite well, except perhaps Butte. My mother lives in Helena and there's all sorts of new businesses and new homes going up there.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,699,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Bozeman and Missoula are probably the hottest spots, as far as economic expansion is concerned. But most of the large-ish towns are doing quite well, except perhaps Butte. My mother lives in Helena and there's all sorts of new businesses and new homes going up there.
Well i'm glad for Montana...It reminds me somewhat of my own state here in New Mexico as we are both large states in land and yet sparsly populated and lots of ranching, farming and hard work on the land. Now both states are booming economically and we both have large surpluses. Although rock music is my favorate i just love the Marie Osmond song ''Meet me in Montana?? "'. I hope to visit it soon...later !!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,810,811 times
As long as it does not become the next Florida it should remain a great place. Does the cold weather scare away the refugees?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:43 PM

369 posts, read 1,459,067 times
Quote:
As long as it does not become the next Florida it should remain a great place. Does the cold weather scare away the refugees?
The short answer to your question is, for now, yes, pretty much!

I think you need to do a little survey of one's self on why you want to come to Montana. I was born and educated here and was away elsewhere for 31 years while in the military before we came b-a-a-a-a-k (sheep sounds!). Didn't really want to as we had a newly built home and boat in the Puget Sound 15 minutes away. But did get an opportunity to return to Montana for a heck of a job, a rarity for many who try.

Winters are pretty tough and somewhat gloomy in many parts of the state West of the Continental Divide. But the scenery is much better in the West and the Winters are about one month shorter and Fall one month longer in Missoula vs Bozeman, for instance. If you like to fish and hunt, watch pretty exciting college football (even by Florida standards) and ski in the Winter, then Montana is a superb recreation place.

Politics are very interesting. Typically, Montana has been a "red" state, but has been showing some bit of change of late. I'm very conservative politically and the town in which I live is so far left of center that it's been called "Berkeley North" for decades. That can be very frustrating when a) trying to have a decent conversation with some folks, b)reading the local newspapers, or c)trying to support local like-minded candidates for public office. My bias is that many if not most of the "lefties" are transplants, at least from my close observation of those I know. Depending on your leanings, however, it could be like heaven!!!

Things are expensive here. When we moved back 13 years ago, my property tax was $2,400 per year. Now it is $4,500. Fuel costs are above national average as well as heating and electricity. The median price of a home in Missoula is over $200,000 and Bozeman is probably 40% higher. We pay moderately for state income tax but vehicle registration is near userous.

All and all we are very happy to have moved back to our home state. I dislike huge crowds of people and, as a university professor transplant told me one time, "there aren't enough cars in all of Montana to have a decent traffic jam." That is an appeal for me!

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 22,937 times
I just moved to Bozeman from South Louisiana in September for my job. The unemployment is very low. It does appear to be booming in my opinion.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:15 PM

777 posts, read 3,204,589 times
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it is still booming in a few more years, when I am ready for the move. I am really favoring the Bitteroot Valley, or possible even GF. Going to have to take a road trip very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana