Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM

37 posts, read 145,889 times

Advertisements

Actually, from my experience at MSU and BHS, those who have lived there the longest DO welcome people. I agree, those who move there are more likely to hold prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I'm a Redneck myself. I pray to God this part of Montana does not turn out like Missoula. I could not live that way. I don't even like to go to that town anymore. But... I just don't think us being a$$holes to California folks, or anybody else, is going to change things. They are like ants on an ant bed, you can stomp them out until you are blue in the face, they will just keep coming.

All we can do is accept it and welcome the new ideas. Otherwise we become hatful and sour.
What is it that has gone so wrong with Missoula? I notice there is a Korean Baptist church in Missoula. Is that an example of what has gone wrong? Or maybe the Missoula International School?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 AM

94 posts, read 202,569 times
Exclamation In response to one comment here~~~

Some people CAN speak and understand English but they PRETEND that they can't. I have seen that in many nationalities and languages and not only here in Montana.

Of course, there are many that don't want to learn, speak or have anything to do with English and 'they' get catered to in many places. Not just a certain group but sometimes, yes, a certain group.

English FIRST. Our forefathers had to jump through hoops into the great melting pot of America to become American citizens as LEGAL immigrants not counting the ones who already knew English and came over a few ships past the Mayflower.

I have even heard people joke, laugh and make fun that they fooled someone by faking it - that they could not understand or speak ENGLISH. I know that because bi lingual people overhead them and saw the entire scene. I was present but did not understand the language. So it was a joke and LIE to the Americans and English speaking people. Right here in town, Missoula, and more than one time. In Idaho too - seen that all over the place. OTHER states too but I am using the most recent incidents.

If someone wants to speak another language when they want to - fine. More power to them. If they want to live, work, go to school here, VOTE, drive, talk on the telephone, etc. - you are in America so it is ENGLISH FIRST - speak IT!

Do you see other countries worldwide asking such dumb @@@ questions on what the heck THEIR language should be for THEIR country?! NO! Well, some parts of Canada maybe with French. NO offense.

America - English FIRST!

Catherine

Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgothere View Post
i've heard lots of concerns where californians are 'moving-in' to Montana and most of the reasons for those who moved are because their CA is 'invaded' by immigrants? in lieu of this, are there any other 'immigrants' in MT aside from Californians????
No offense but I think that this is a silly question.

Of course, people come here from ALL states and not only from CA.

Catherine

Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 AM

Duplicate post. Apologies to the board.

I have been having problems with this forum loading on and off.

Catherine

Last edited by CatherineFrances; 03-16-2009 at 03:11 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineFrances View Post
Some people CAN speak and understand English but they PRETEND that they can't. I have seen that in many nationalities and languages and not only here in Montana.
A common trick here in CA, now that so many hispanics are in government positions, is when you dispute something, they discuss it with their supervisor in Spanish, essentially negotiating behind your back, right in front of you!

Why this isn't illegal escapes me. Gov't business should be conducted in the language of the country.

And I have nothing against immigrants who come here and become Americans. But if the Old Country ways and language are that much better -- stay in the Old Country. Don't come here and expect ME to adjust to YOU. I don't care what you do in your house, on your own time, but don't make ME an unwilling participant.

As to Quebec, per a Canadian friend from the Maritimes, the "French ONLY" thing is so radical in some areas, that children are being taken away from parents who refuse to speak French at home. Goes to show how ridiculous it can become if language is a religion.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineFrances View Post

Of course, there are many that don't want to learn, speak or have anything to do with English and 'they' get catered to in many places. Not just a certain group but sometimes, yes, a certain group.

English FIRST. Our forefathers had to jump through hoops into the great melting pot of America to become American citizens as LEGAL immigrants not counting the ones who already knew English and came over a few ships past the Mayflower.

I have even heard people joke, laugh and make fun that they fooled someone by faking it - that they could not understand or speak ENGLISH. I know that because bi lingual people overhead them and saw the entire scene. I was present but did not understand the language. So it was a joke and LIE to the Americans and English speaking people. Right here in town, Missoula, and more than one time. In Idaho too - seen that all over the place. OTHER states too but I am using the most recent incidents.

If someone wants to speak another language when they want to - fine. More power to them. If they want to live, work, go to school here, VOTE, drive, talk on the telephone, etc. - you are in America so it is ENGLISH FIRST - speak IT!

Do you see other countries worldwide asking such dumb @@@ questions on what the heck THEIR language should be for THEIR country?! NO! Well, some parts of Canada maybe with French. NO offense.

America - English FIRST!

Catherine
Is that supposed to be an answer to my question about what has gone wrong with Missoula?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM

110 posts, read 322,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY View Post
I don't know if you would consider Californians immigrants....maybe more like "migrants?" The Californians want out because of a lot of illegal immigration. The folks coming across the border illegally from Mexico, bringing with them diseases, poor ethics, and lots of other problems. They are not the only reason I want, out, but they are a big part of it. I figure if they are willing to break the law to get here, they most certainly will break the law once they are here.

My grandparents on my dads side came here from Europe. Not sure about my mom's parents. My mom told me her mother came across Oklahoma in a wagon train in the 1890's

I would love to be able to go to work and hear conversations in english.

I love your logic- since they came here illegally, they will most certainly break the law once they are here? I don't know about you, but if it comes down to me making money anyway I can, so that I can send to my family wherever they may be, I'll do whatever it takes- I'll lie cheat and steal to feed my baby. Can you really blame these people? Do you think of them as less of a human being than you? Do you really think that they want life to be this way, while you sit in your la z boy, listening to Rush Limbaugh? This world is becoming more globalized every day- if you don't like it, then you might as well end your misery now, because it's not going away, no matter how much you complain

Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 AM

305 posts, read 870,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyr View Post
I love your logic- since they came here illegally, they will most certainly break the law once they are here? I don't know about you, but if it comes down to me making money anyway I can, so that I can send to my family wherever they may be, I'll do whatever it takes- I'll lie cheat and steal to feed my baby. Can you really blame these people? Do you think of them as less of a human being than you? Do you really think that they want life to be this way, while you sit in your la z boy, listening to Rush Limbaugh? This world is becoming more globalized every day- if you don't like it, then you might as well end your misery now, because it's not going away, no matter how much you complain
I love your logic - because you want to send money to your family somewhere, you will lie, cheat, and steal from ME and my baby to feed your baby! And, statistically yes, those who are coming her illegally are more prone to commit felonies once here! If you already disregard the law enough to come illegally into the country you've already in your mind justified that breaking the law is okay. Take a look at the statistics for just the sex crimes committed by illegal immigrants:

Study: 1 million sex crimes by illegals

Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJaguar View Post
Is that supposed to be an answer to my question about what has gone wrong with Missoula?
No, but it was in response to someone here who mentioned THIS issue. One of many posts here.

Catherine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana