Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston62 View Post
I second the motion regarding moving to Montana to get the h*ll out of East Texas. I'm a Houston native and have lived here for 35 of my 47 years. Houston used to be a pretty decent place until the early 1970's, then a massive influx of Yankees followed by a massive invasion of illegal aliens followed by another inundation of people from Asia and the Near East has completely ruined this town. I scarcely recognize the place anymore and feel like a foreigner in the place I grew up in.

A few years ago my wife and I were *privileged* (and I mean that sincerely), to visit Montana while vacationing and we fell in love with the state. Naturally, we were enthralled by the beauty of southwestern MT, (the part we drove through), but we were also impressed by how much the people reminded us of the Texans we grew up around in the 1960's - honest, decent, hard-working folks who lived by the Golden Rule and expected others to do the same.

When we got back to Houston and it's urban blight, crime, traffic, heat, pollution, and multicultural "diverse" chaos it was, to say the least, a depressing experience. It is only a matter of time before this town and the rest of the State goes back to Mexico. (Will the last real Texan to leave Texas please bring the Lone Star flag and Sam Houston's statue with you when you cross the state line?)

Anyway, it goes without saying that this place is no longer recognizable to us and we have sadly concluded that Texas is as doomed as California due to uncontrolled immigration. There is no way I see us retiring here 20 years from now. We want to get the heck out of here and move to someplace in the Rockies to get back to a lifestyle and a culture we can recognize as being old-style American.

Currently, Montana is our first choice - mainly because we like the lay of the land and the low population density there. Now that the real estate bubble has popped, we are hoping that land and house prices will recede to more reasonable and affordable levels in your state. I think the banking crisis (i.e. credit crunch) and the end of the real estate boom may bring a swift end to the phenomenon of Montana and other western states being invaded by leftist whackos from the West and East coasts. Anyone see any signs of this yet?

Anyway, I'm convinced that Montanans aren't all that different from old fashioned Texans. We have a common Western culture and neither of us cotton to outsiders coming to our states and changing everything. Trust me - if we move to Montana, we'll be grateful to be there and the last thing we'll want to do is tell Montanan's how to run their state. I reckon a person had to prove himself and become a productive member of the local community before he/she *earns* the right to start griping about *anything.*

You see, we've had a similar problem in Texas, (and the rest of the South), for over a century with Yankees coming down here from up North for our warm climate and laid-back culture who then waste no time at all trying to turn Dixie into NYC. This has always riled us and I absolutely "get it" as to why Montanans are royally ticked off over the California invasion and condescension. Ugly Californians are your version of our "Yankee" problem.

In Texas we have a saying that there are 3 kinds of Yankees: (1) A "Yankee" is a person from up North, (2) A damnyankee is someone from up North who visits the South and proceeds to tell us how they do things up North, and (3) a G*damnyankee is one who moves to the South and tries to "reform" Dixie so that it'll be more like the hellish Yankeeland he/she just fled.

I reckon there is a similar breakdown regarding folks from California, depending on how they act when they get to Montana.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from some longtime Montanan's regarding what sort of jobs are most plentiful and pay best in your state. Also, where is housing still reasonably affordable for regular, middle-class, working people? Is Montana really as economically depressed as some folks on these boards are saying, or are y'all just trying to spook all the rich California weirdos so they'll stay home?
Thanks for assuming all yankees are alike and want to do nothing but ruin your town... not all of US are like that. I am PROUD to be a Yankee (from Connecticut).. I have lived in the Northern Plains, Midwestern Plains and Southeast US.. and I HAVE NOT, DO NOT.. and WILL NEVER fit into the 3 catergories of yankees you describe.

I embrace whatever town I am in, learn their ways, embrace their culture or whatever.. and respect the difference, never forcing my way on ANYONE.

Last edited by ComputerUser000; 08-04-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston62 View Post
but we were also impressed by how much the people reminded us of the Texans we grew up around in the 1960's - honest, decent, hard-working folks who lived by the Golden Rule and expected others to do the same.
As I said somewhere else... the small towns north of Amarillo were about as much like north-central and eastern Montana, culturally, as anywhere I've ever been. And now we've got a Texan agreeing with me, fancy that!

As to the rest of your post..... HEAR HEAR!!

And I can't help but think of this oldie but goodie:

There was this airplane over the Atlantic on its way to New York. It was full of men from the United Nations. Halfway over the ocean the engines run low on petrol so they have to lighten the plane. They heave out all the baggage, but it's still too heavy. They toss out the seats, but it's still too heavy!

Finally a Frenchman steps up, shouts "Viva la France" and leaps out.

Not to be outdone, an Englishman steps up and shouts `God save the Queen!' and leaps
out.

But the plane is still too heavy. So the Yank delegate from Texas steps up, shouts `Remember the Alamo!' and chucks out the Mexican!!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 AM

148 posts, read 561,260 times
Default Nothing at you Rickers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hey Mattman3seven, no answer ? Believe me I know what CBP policy is and your wife got a deal that is not often offered to most male applicants. She must have some special skill that the other applicants can't provide ! That is my slap back at you for saying to you what I know is true, and that was called by you "Blasphemy" ! That in essence is calling me a liar. They may very well be allowing waivers to their policies just like the military does. Not to take my post the wrong way mind you, but the official policy as per their website does state what I said, That's where I get my information from thank you , --- it's called in my neck of the woods "The horses mouth" !

I was just saying that in general, not to you Rickers. Fortunately, yes we know some people. But at the same time, exceptions ARE being made for people willing to work as border patrol agents on the northern border. And, females are more likely to be an exception as there are certain positions that only females can man.

I understand and have read all the stuff on the website. But anything is possible. What is written and stated is not always written in stone, obviously!

As far as moving back to Texas....HA! Good riddance. We're here to stay. I know it will be a different wintertime experience, but in all honesty......Bring it on. My wife is from here originally, and I have been here many times the last decade, so I know what I'm(we're) in for! IMO, it's not that bad, especially in the Shelby area. But whatever happens , happens.

I didn't think about moving here for the last eight years just to pack up and move back in a year. Our life is here now, and will be to stay.

Oh, BTW Rickers, don't I owe you a dinner or night out or something?!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Well, I've been a Houstonian for 20 some odd years, also living in other states in between.

Blame us "minorities." Well, you can actually blame dwindling economic opportunities, low-paying jobs and higher other factors of living.

These old crust white folks...like they're the only ones with troubles.

So I'm kinda glad these racists or such "real Texans" are getting the heck out so they can enjoy all the wonders Montana offers.

I am glad for many of the opportunities here in Houston, knowing FULL WELL that it's not perfect, that the REAL test of humanity is dealing with others who are DIFFERENT.

I was born in the USA but those whitebreads that don't like us because we are of a different shade...well, sorry. I do my best to get along with other folks, regardless of color or religion or culture.

Simply put, these people of different color helped to revitalize Houston, maybe not in the old way that these prejudiced whitebreads would want...but still...it's a city of excellent opportunity.

Certainly nothing in Montana can offer it.

Sure I see Houston as city of potential danger, like any other metro, but also as a city where I've met many good people...white, Asian, African-American, Arab, Desi or whatever.

Cool white folks stay...but all the whitebreads who can't stand "diversity"...GTFO. Your attitudes won't be missed.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Now you say you live in East Texas, so Jasper? Vidor? Sounds like you may have a racist streak in ya, so let me introduce myself. I am DOOR and don't let me hit you on your way out.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Cool white folks stay ? Whitebreads ? Worldlyman You appear to be not quite worldly or manly, you complain about racists and all I hear out of you is racist words and statements. I really hope you stay put and don't come anywhere near Montana ! We don't like racists here. If you move here please leave all that crap in Texas.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM

266 posts, read 706,260 times
i get called a yankee all the time here in san antonio. i always have to give them a history lesson on how i cant be a yankee becasue i am from montana. guess to texans anyone from out side of texas is a yankee. i get a laugh out of it every time.

now there are lots of differances between texas and montana. dont go up to montana and think you can get away with the thinks you do in texas. from driving laws to shooting someone in you back yard. its far more liberal up there.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM

266 posts, read 706,260 times
rickers, the first thing i learned when i moved to texas from Missoula, is the minorities are the true raciest, its all they see, all they look for, its their excuse for everything; and there is no way to make them see that fact. its sad really.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
rickers, the first thing i learned when i moved to texas from Missoula, is the minorities are the true raciest, its all they see, all they look for, its their excuse for everything; and there is no way to make them see that fact. its sad really.
I noticed the same thing... having moved from MT to SoCal. A great deal of the "racism" blamed on whites is actually white folks going "Now see here, that's not fair!" after being treated poorly BY a minority -- yet somehow the white folks are to blame for this. Frex, hispanic cops (and other hispanic officials) will speak Spanish to each other to prevent a white from knowing what they're doing, but if the white demands that they speak English when discussing his case, then suddenly the white is "anti-hispanic". (Yes, I have personally witnessed this, and I understand enough Spanish to figure out what was going on. It's one reason why a lot of us here are vehemently in favour of English as the official language, so no one in power can hide their intentions by speaking in a foreign language.)

Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
i get called a yankee all the time here in san antonio. i always have to give them a history lesson on how i cant be a yankee becasue i am from montana. guess to texans anyone from out side of texas is a yankee. i get a laugh out of it every time.
I remember when we in MT would call easterners "Yanks"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana