Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 PM

152 posts, read 627,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Sampson View Post
.....oh and if you really want to stir up trouble, ask about Wal-Mart. haha have a great day.
Yea, what's up with that????? On my recent trip to Hamilton in March, I heard it passed to build a Wal-Mart nearby? I really had planned to make a day-trip of it in Missoula after I move this fall and hit all the great stores in one day every month or so and come home. You know, like Lowes, Costco, Wal-Mart, Home Depot......Maybe take in dinner and a movie, spend the night....and now it's gonna be in my backyard!!! OMG, what's next ??? Starbucks !?!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM

37 posts, read 145,718 times
Default Says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc man View Post
are you kidding hamilton has many public schools we have 2 elimentart schools 1 high school and a bunch more and there is a lot more then 600 studenst at our high school i am one of them my self
Your spelling definitely indicates a HHS student. And no, the Hamilton High population is not far above 600.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 AM

297 posts, read 794,892 times
I lived in Hamilton for three years and found the attitude about education to be "it's great as long as I don't have to pay for it." In fact, that seemed to be the attitude about everything -- the people there want things but don't want to cough up the money for them. School levies almost inevitably fail. The population is somewhat skewed toward the elderly/retired, who seem to have the feeling that once their own kids are through school, the heck with the school system. Just MHO.

Missoula, 55 miles north of Hamilton, has the University of Montana and a lot more things in general to do.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,779 times
Default Why?

The idea of a community college in the Bitterroot would be okay if it were feasible. Unfortunately, there is no affordable housing here for instructors, the University of Montana can hardly afford to pay it's profs enough to live there and they have progressively zoned etc for affordable housing. There is virtually no rental housing available nor any type of dormatory structures for students, not to mention lack of infrastructure, roads, or even the best technological advancements to operate such function. Given the fact that the average Bitterrooter whom is of working age is already educated I think that they would be better off partnering with the county ( whose current main goal is to completely stop growth and leave several people out to dry ) to work on zoning to accomodate affordable housing and then when in place to partner with a call center or some other non-environmentally intrusive business operation whom relies on technology to bring higher lever technology into Hamilton along with a industrial type park where persons can work at this center in one portion of the building while others in another portion can attend satelite classes. Truly this county does not have job opportunities for those graduating from this college, does not have the housing stock to support both full time students and faculty that students and faculty can afford, and most credits won't transfer. So Ravalli can pay millions to provide an inconsistent two year education due to high faculty and student churn rates, so those receiving any education can whisk themselves out of state promptly to pay for those loans and then start over again at a higher university and get a degree several years down the road. The bottom line is Montana already has a wonderful University system which provides distance education, an overqualified workforce and no jobs.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,849 times
IH...i'm an italian researcher, in January I'll start working in the NIH laboratories of Rocky Mountain - Hamilton.
I can not find housing, and studios or rooms for rent.
Can you suggest me some sites or some agency that Deal of rent rooms and studios?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM

264 posts, read 397,768 times
I'm not trying to be a pain, but Google Hamilton, Montana Real Estate.

What puzzles me is why your employer wouldn't make some arrangements for you, or at least provide you with some leads.

Hamilton, Montana will be a great deal different from ANYTHING you are used to....if you have spent most of you life in Italy.

Perhaps you should try the Human Resources Department of the company that hired you. Surely that department is prepared to help you out. If not, you might want to reconsider making such a move. Culturally and climatically, you are making a significant and very difficult change.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 PM

83 posts, read 316,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
I'm not trying to be a pain, but Google Hamilton, Montana Real Estate.

What puzzles me is why your employer wouldn't make some arrangements for you, or at least provide you with some leads.

Hamilton, Montana will be a great deal different from ANYTHING you are used to....if you have spent most of you life in Italy.

Perhaps you should try the Human Resources Department of the company that hired you. Surely that department is prepared to help you out. If not, you might want to reconsider making such a move. Culturally and climatically, you are making a significant and very difficult change.
I couldn't understand why on this post and one other you could not understand that she is just now going to work for RML and doesn't have the kind of money to buy a house yet. But now after looking about where you live I understand. Let someone who lives in Hamilton right now help her, sense they would be a little more up to date. And Climatically, if she is from the northern region (the Alps) her weather would be just like ours and not like your southern California heat.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 AM

264 posts, read 397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanahogrider View Post
I couldn't understand why on this post and one other you could not understand that she is just now going to work for RML and doesn't have the kind of money to buy a house yet. But now after looking about where you live I understand. Let someone who lives in Hamilton right now help her, sense they would be a little more up to date. And Climatically, if she is from the northern region (the Alps) her weather would be just like ours and not like your southern California heat.
I've lived through Montana winters, and I have lived through a French Alps (Chamonix...right through the tunnel from Courmeyer, Italy) winter.....lots of snow in the Alps, but not anywhere near the long miserable temperature days Montana is famous for having.

I understand she can't afford a house, but if you look more closely at the link I posted, you will find an area for rentals. I still think a foreign national moving to a not particularly well-populated somewhat isolated area should get some help from the company's Human Resources Department.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,849 times
Thanks guys, I have no problems with the temperatures ... or at least I hope so ... but I am trying to find a studio or a room for rent in following more ways, as things to be done are many and time is short.
A brief i'll contact the RML to finish the documentation and i'll ask about housing at the Human Resources Department...but If you have any other idea ... they are always welcome!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 AM

163 posts, read 584,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina77 View Post
IH...i'm an italian researcher, in January I'll start working in the NIH laboratories of Rocky Mountain - Hamilton.
I can not find housing, and studios or rooms for rent.
Can you suggest me some sites or some agency that Deal of rent rooms and studios?
Thanks in advance
Christina
When you get to Hamilton go visit Lake Como. Named after the Lake Como in Northern Italy. The first white settlers in the Bitterroot was Fr. Anthony Ravalli and Fr. Pierre DeSmet, Italian Priests that settled in what is now Stevensville and established St. Mary's mission. My mother worked at "the Lab" for many years. You'll love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana