Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 12:29 PM

62 posts, read 471,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Natviemontana.....................yahoo......give' er hell, you got my vote....Reguarding a previous statement you made to me about living in the missoula area, I have in more recent post starting refering to 'western' montana when trying to make a point.
I don't know what I said to you about living in the Missoula area...All I can ask about Missoula is.....why did they try to fashion their streets after Detroit, Michigan, in a spoke of confusion? I try to stay on the roads that are more "seemingly" straight than others. I spend most of my travels outside of the Missoula proper....Broke that promise to myself just this last week ...but readily remembered why I had made the promise. Since retiring, I don't have to go to the University as often as I used to. This was a personal trip and to see how the other business branch is going up there.

The Missoula proper is really going these days. I think, however, I am to old to navigate it. I was watching some buzzing around, chewing gum, talking on the cell phones and fixing their hair ALL AT THE SAME TIME driving at speeds faster than I. I'm too old for that stuff. It was okay when there was only Reserve and Orange to worry about. I stick to 12 and 200...93 is way too fast for me, but at least there's room to manuver and its for the most part straight. I try to drive before and after rush....but lately its ALWAYS rush every time I go there.

I don't think it was me that said anything to you ...I did say something to GiftShopguy about grouping Granolas and Hippies into the same species. LOL Or at least I thought it was GSG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
nativemontana guy wrote:

Hummm......"I would prefer it.......".........humm are you in charge of the forum now ? Second, you can put all the info you want on this forum I would imagine, but why are you wanting to do it under this thread, titled "why are some people so mad"
Got me Hah!! "Perhaps" I may have quoted in the wrong forum..."Maybe I'll just Move." Hah!! No I do not want to Moderate ANY forum...

I quoted here because the quote was from here. Don't have a clue how to move a quote from one thread to another. I can't even move this reply to another forum and I guess it doesn't belong here either.

You asked some other questions, but I will have to go back and see what those were...Oh, I remember some...

No, you were at the top of the "quoted" message, but I thought the guy from Tennessee who was quoted below your quote was trying to start something about reservations and Indians. Look and see.

No, I can't keep up with Politically Correct stuff...I'm sure there are some who will let us know. Personally, I don't know...doesn't the word "Native" have at least 2 different meanings. I myself, if I were Indian, would prefer to be called American Indian rather than "Native" American. But my mind set is a little different. They'll change it soon.

Montanans called "blacks" Negro's at one time. Montanan's didn't know that wasn't right until airplanes brought people here to tell us different. We thought that proper. Who would have called a Negro a black man....that would have been slanderous. If when I was a child and told my mom...Look a black man. She would have bopped me on the head and told me he was a Negro. No I can't keep up.

Could go on and on. I am not really waiting for the new textbook....the editions must come out every six months....too much money.....too little time!! I am an American first and Irish second. That is what happens when one comes to the good ole USA and through proper channels becomes an American.
Windy very Windy here in Montana East of the Rockies. I bet Livingston people look like they are free falling at terminal velocity.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Then it would seem to me that no one can lay more claim to innocence or issue more guilty than the other party for practicing similar behaviors......I guess we are all the same people after all. And to clearify one point.....I MEAN NO SLIGHT OR SLANT TO ANY ONE GROUP.....I'm simply challenge contemporary social thought, which one would suspect, if held by the masses, is inherantly in and of itself should be held suspect. Wouldn't you agree ? Just curious on your's, Nativemontana..... or anyone's thoughts.........
Yes, I've read and heard part of the same regarding displacement. I guess we are being displaced now? That was my point where the Tennessee guy was starting an arguement. You are more eloquent than I at getting a point across.
The same argument went on in Colorado for such a time. "Native" Colorado folks were being displaced by those who could afford a different lifestyle and made it expensive for the rest. That was probably 30 years ago. I guess its Montana's turn.
That is one thing about Reservations about which Indians should be happy. They don't have to "just move."
I guess we could do as Iraq should. I guess being of Irish decent should take all of Jefferson County and Silver Bow and call it Irish America...or America Irish or whatever. I would love to be able to have people that looked, thought, and acted like me around me. Talk about fighting Irish.

Which brings up a MAD point. Don't any of you new "residents" think about taking away our right to own a gun. Can that qualify for this column/thread? That is something I am determined not to happen in Montana. I will be mad...

I think its our Governor's agenda to get enough liberals into Montana so he can change things, like gun control and sales tax...
Some posted here or in another thread that it was up to us to let our Legislature know what we want. Did it matter when they took WITH OUT A VOTE, our right as a tavern owner to decide if we wanted a smoking lounge or not?!?!?.....Yeah, let our representatives know.....
Oh I forgot THAT WAS FOR OUR OWN GOOD...and to save medical tax dollars. Yeah, they will be scrabbling for a sales tax when they don't get as much money from the tax on cigarettes.

Speaking of which....the smoking tax WAS suppose to go into a fund to help "victims of smoking." A portion does, but a bigger portion goes to the GENERAL in the sky FUND of the State. Same with the "nasty" GAMBLING earnings....

Is this the type of stuff to get mad about in this forum, JJM?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM

495 posts, read 492,601 times
Nativemontanan wrote:
Quote:
Is this the type of stuff to get mad about in this forum, JJM?
...............ahhh I guess, one can get mad about anything they want in this thread....but I think the orginal idea was kinda...."why are some poeple so mad" being meant as "why are some people so mad about people moving to montana or/and or developeing and changing it".....
But what the heck, it has kinda' deviated from that, so what........it's interesting to hear whatever folks have to say, as I find your's Nativemontana, you seem to have more spunk than most and not affraid to step on a few toes..........feel free to step on mine, if it hurts I guess I'll need better boots and don't mind if I step back............cheers
I find more character in people who are willing to stand up and argue back and say what's on their mind, then those types found so often in today's America, that say 'yes' to anything in an effort to suck up to anyone, mostly for personal gain........I"m sure you know the type.....when someone is to nice and agrees to much, I tend to have my immediate suspicions about them. Sales people seem to fall alot (not all) into this type. Not unsurprisingly so.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:48 PM

56 posts, read 161,342 times
NativeMontanan - Yes we in the parts of the west that are being over run with newbies, are now paying for (much) more government then we want, but (so far - thank God) we are not getting all the government we pay for since they manage to waste so much!
And here's my curse on all you future newbies ruining the places you take over - MAY YOUR TOWN (STATE, VILLAGE, COUNTY, AREA, ETC) BE DISCOVERED!!!!
Then maybe(???) you will finally understand...
And you have to ask - what is the title of this thread again...

Old 03-11-2007, 04:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Quote:
Which brings up a MAD point. Don't any of you new "residents" think about taking away our right to own a gun. Can that qualify for this column/thread? That is something I am determined not to happen in Montana. I will be mad...
I don't see that happening. Recently Washington DC made it illegal to own a handgun in that city and it was overturned by a US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit. This could be an important case that could go all the way to the Supreme Court but keep in mind that this is a constitution issue, not something that people can simply vote on. I do think it's a legitimate issue to raise if you're concerned about political changes that might occur if populations shifts might alter the political landscape. However, I've got a number of handguns, rifles, etc and I'm pretty familiar with the issues. I'm not even a conservative, I'm a moderate and occationally even liberal on certain issues but our constitution protects our right to bear arms and they can't simply be outlawed.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:09 PM

I'd like to add a few comments I made about development and fires. I don't know if any of you are watching the news right now but in southern California there is an out of control fire that is raging in Orange County. They've got everybody out there trying to save homes worth a million dollars are higher. This drought situation is hitting them quite hard as it has in large parts of the west. I know Montana has been in droughts of varying degrees of severity and it just underscores the important of the issue. I didn't mention earlier that when mature trees are not surrounded by dense undergrowth they will normally survive a forest fire. Examination of tree rings indicate that very old trees have weathered many fires because they quickly rage through the forest but just scorch the outer layers without killing them. It's just a natural phenomenon and trees are adapted to it. When you've got homes in these areas we end up trying to save them at great expense and risk to firefighters and we interfere with natural processes that keep our forests healthy.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:45 PM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'd like to add a few comments I made about development and fires. I don't know if any of you are watching the news right now but in southern California there is an out of control fire that is raging in Orange County. They've got everybody out there trying to save homes worth a million dollars are higher. This drought situation is hitting them quite hard as it has in large parts of the west. I know Montana has been in droughts of varying degrees of severity and it just underscores the important of the issue. I didn't mention earlier that when mature trees are not surrounded by dense undergrowth they will normally survive a forest fire. Examination of tree rings indicate that very old trees have weathered many fires because they quickly rage through the forest but just scorch the outer layers without killing them. It's just a natural phenomenon and trees are adapted to it. When you've got homes in these areas we end up trying to save them at great expense and risk to firefighters and we interfere with natural processes that keep our forests healthy.
I am not all that far from that fire. About 20 minutes. I can see the smoke from my house. It is hot, hot hot today. 93 degrees right now at 5:30 PM. We are lucky to get 12 inches a year of rain.
Did they say what the fire was caused by? Probably some idiot throwing a lit cigarette out the window, or kids. I think here, it is safe to say it wasn't caused by nature, since we never have electrical storms. The only electrical that would have caused the fire, is a blown up transformer.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I am not all that far from that fire. About 20 minutes. I can see the smoke from my house.
That is pretty scary. I don't think they'll know the cause for awhile because they're so busy trying to control it and it usually takes a little investigation to determine the cause. I remember the one that killed those firefighters was really a tragic situation. They did mention that it's so dry in the area that the fire season is literally all year, 12 months, which makes any small fire extremely dangerous because it can spread so fast.
Well, I hope it works out for the best for everyone in your area. I know the crews are doing everything they can and it sounds like they were fully manned from the minute they discovered it and they're very skilled at dealing with these types of fires.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't see that happening. Recently Washington DC made it illegal to own a handgun in that city and it was overturned by a US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit.
Check California gun laws...Check New York gun laws.
Gotta hit the sack and hopefully the wind isn't as strong tomorrow.

Oh, on the other. Thank you. You know one can not be a fence walker. Walk on one side or the other. Remember Humpty Dumpty...He sat on a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana