Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Bozeman. Some family history that goes back aways, but I think many of us moved because we married, went away to school or for a job. We LOVE Montana and would love to move back. At the present time I am living in the East Bay of San Francisco and when I am able I will move back to Montana. I am so surprised at how everything has changed, but I live with and take care of my 91 year old mother-in-law and she is so shocked at how SF has changed. Life is about change no matter where you are. Yes those of us that are native Montanans want to keep it pristeen and virgin. Unfortunately, change will happen everywhere, and we just have to accept it. Hopefully, when I get the opportunity to move home, I can find a home that I can afford and love. I am sure I may not move to Bozeman, but I hope to find a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:16 PM

495 posts, read 493,813 times
Moderator cut: referring to deleted post

Say Mt Girl in CA..............I don't think change is inevitable or that life is about change. There are lots of places in the country that never seem to change, lots of small towns and rural places all across america that are pretty much unchanged for the last 50 years, outside of new cars, a few new houses or so, but they are pretty much unchanged. No I don't buy into the notion that change is inevitable at least the kind of changes we've been talking about. How about eastern Montana, I doubt the word 'change' is in their vocabulary much these days. And I'd bet they like it just fine that way.
I'm sure most transplanted Montanans returning home would much rather see the same Montana they left than the new one being created.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-18-2007 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: referring to deleted post

Old 02-24-2007, 08:28 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
Quote:
One of the external factors is that too many people are buying second homes here and not living in them. Do you think you not being there half the time is some kind of comfort to me? NO! I want ACTIVE memebers of my community.
I happen to live in a retirement community of 55+. Most of the people who live here stay for about seven or eight months a year and then go back to their home towns in the north. I see nothing wrong with this and there's thousands and thousands of them in the metro Phoenix area. I guess I don't see why people with two homes should be a concern. Many of these people form friendships with people from various states as well as Canada and it makes a nice little community of friendly people. I just don't feel that when they go home for part of the year that they've somehow betrayed this city or their civic responsibilities. This makes no sense to me.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,893,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
.....I just don't feel that when they go home for part of the year that they've somehow betrayed this city or their civic responsibilities. This makes no sense to me.....

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2005/10/31/montana/a01103105_02.txt (broken link)

>>>........Bucks said 97 percent of Montanans who make money from a capital gain, such as selling a business, pay their taxes on time. Only 27 percent of nonresidents file the tax on time, he said.

‘‘Montana resident taxpayers are a wonderful group of taxpayers,’’ he said.

That hasn’t been the Department of Revenue’s experience with nonresidents.

The largest debt on the list of delinquent taxpayers is $450,373, owed by Jerrold E. Arbini of Red Bluff, Ca. The state said the tax amount is for past due income tax, ........
<<<<

It's like I said.....

Folks who do the living in Montana for two months out of the year don't count as far as I'm concerned......

Sure, we are a wonderful little community and we are all buddies and such.... just so long as the out of staters feel that they "don't have to pay" for being a part of it all.

If you wanna play... you gotta pay...

And with that said, I'll ask....

Just where does the "civic responsibilities" come into play here?

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 02-25-2007 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: edited for content/spelling

Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
Quote:
Just where does the "civic responsibilities" come into play here?
I have to completely agree with you as far as people like that are concerned. It makes me wonder how much income Jerrold E. Arbini has if he's just a part time resident and owes that much income tax. Anyway, you make a good point. I guess since I'm surrounded by neighbors who are part time residents it just got my attention.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 AM

722 posts, read 1,110,023 times
Seven to eight months out of the year is actually not too bad. I am mostly talking about the people who spend a whole whooping week here out of the year. Kinda a difference don't you think?

Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 PM

The orginal question on this thread was:

Why are some people so mad ?

So......has anyone figured it out yet ? It should be painfully obvious by now. Not that anyone couldn't have guessed before we even started asking.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:14 PM

152 posts, read 628,208 times
Post tax evader

[quote=GiftShoppeGuy;400885]http://www.helenair.com/articles/2005/10/31/montana/a01103105_02.txt (broken link)

The largest debt on the list of delinquent taxpayers is $450,373, owed by Jerrold E. Arbini of Red Bluff, Ca. The state said the tax amount is for past due income tax, ........[/i]<<<<
I'm thinking this name isn't doing too well in California either.
http://co.tehama.ca.us/taxcoll/050807.cfm (broken link)
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=659169(arbini (broken link) co.?)

Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM

298 posts, read 565,821 times
I don't want to get into it, but I am not in the housing market there, and trying to get in would eat up 50% of our income. I do not wish to go back to high mortgages!! In addition, we would not have that income any longer in Mt! Also, one of our daughters is special ed and attends a private school which is expensive because she cannot get the help she needs in public school, and I am a special ed teacher, I know. We also have very large student loans. Why is everyone on these forums so nasty? My father is a retired stockbroker in Msla, he is well aware of what drove up the real estate in the area, the influx of money from out of state. Does that mean I would be rude or hostile? No. It is just unfortunate that it happened, and is more a result of capital gains than anything.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM

jmfnme wrote:

Quote:
Why is everyone on these forums so nasty? My father is a retired stockbroker in Msla, he is well aware of what drove up the real estate in the area, the influx of money from out of state. Does that mean I would be rude or hostile? No. It is just unfortunate that it happened, and is more a result of capital gains than anything.
you said "Why is EVERYONE"...........that's an absurd statement, "EVERYONE"......does that include you ?
Now with that in mind, I know I'm addressing someone (you) that is over adapt at generalizing and stereotype to get their point across. Now then, with your perception given to serious misgivings, I will say that you are confussing or just attacking others to discredit them, just because someone says something that does sit well with you DOESN"T mean they are being nasty, quite to the contrary you saying "EVERYONE" - is being nasty.
I think some people on here are passionate about preserving what others have called the "last best place", we simply like to keep it as such.
I think we, for the most part, here in western MT know that people coming in with money is driving up prices, I think we also know that such people with money are not bad,evil, hostile or whatever you'd want to call them, for you to think otherwise of us would be your problem. I think we get it, such things happen in life. And don't take that as a nasty comment.
I just don't think that you can't expect people here to be very happy about the situation, now can you ? It is the amount of people moving in and the fact that they have driven up prices, that upsets people here, people who's hopes of owning have been dashed by a direct result of other's actions.
I myself have been pushed out of the market, I have to say that I was really ticked off a couple times, when I saw a house that I was interested in, of which had an extremly high price tags tack to it. Some sellers are obivously to us fishing, they even say they're going for the Calif' sucker with the big bucks and no brains....And then low and behold, someone comes along, and pays CASH for the asking price. That immediately sets a precedence. We'll let's put it this way, I didn't bring a cake over and say "welcome to the neighborhood".
I think people have to be aware of the adverse effects their actions of throwing their money around can have on others, and this is a perfect case in point.......NO we're not nasty, we're just upset, concerned and yes saddened.
To make my point clearer.............in the end with that house value now elevated by $150k by the time one pays the mortage interest, it will cost them and addtional 300k (not exactly spare change), so while the people moving in maybe 'nice' people, they will cost alot of us an addtional 300k to own a home, and that's not an exageration or hypathetical, it's reality. So I don't think we're nasty but if anyone has a reason to be, we certainly do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana