Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 PM

495 posts, read 494,312 times

Advertisements

Thanks fbcobrn, I appreciate your thoughts.....

you wrote:
Quote:
.ever read some of the stupid infringements happening in Calif. thanks to the "do-gooders'?
You know the old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" But actually I don't think those folks have good intentions, I think they are still stuck in their childhood, sex-drug-rock&roll days, trying to dismantle anything they see as authority.

Sorry to say I am at odds with your type moving here, but we just can't compete with Californian money, folks selling there place there, getting what to us is BIG bucks, than bringing that money here. Well you know the story, you get $800,000 for you place there, come here and think "wow I get that one for $400,000".........and we're thinking "Gee that was $150,000, just a couple years ago, when I was hoping to buy it, now owning a decent place is just a memory of the past"................"It WAS the last best place"......the "montana dream" is now just a nightmare to some.
Sorry, your have your life to live, I have mine. To bad 'change' we didn't get the right kind of 'change', seems we got the wrong kind.
I just wonder after everyone runs away from the places they are living to come here, and as this places turns into something people want to run away from, I wonder where they'll run too. I think if you lived somewhere, living there makes you part of the problem, and you took advantage of the oppurtunitues it had to offer (ie $$ and house price inflation) but now you don't like the bad, I think one would have the obligation to correct what has gone wrong, not take the money and run, and pretty much go somewhere else, where the crowding in of outsiders is creating the same problem they help create and are running away from. I feel like I'm paying the price for your problems.
I've kind of always looked at it that way........if you want to live in the places where you can make good money, go ahead, dig it all up there, build all the houses and malls you want, do whatever it takes to make a buck, let all the cheap labor come in, basicaly you get the money and turn the place into a mess............While we live here, forgoing all those notions and living a simple life...........But then after you get your's, you wanna leave it all behind and come here, you wanna leave the mess you help create behind and come here, to my backyard, drive house prices up and crowd our roads and rivers now, basically changing this into what you left behind.
So I kinda think...you wanted to be there to make it, and you got it, so stay there. It was your decision to live there because you wanted the bucks, so now stay there.....
Sorry it's just my opinion.....they're just the thoughts that come into my head, when I see what I see around me.
You see, I have an extra burden, I have to be nice and cordial to new comers, not only for their sake by my own, I don't like holding animosity towards other, so I have to work at over coming it....You however, can delight in your new found life and without burden be accepting off all around you.
Sorry once again, it's just that way it is, I guess it's all just the price of change, the change in my attitude, the change in the land. I guess I'll live with your change and you live with mine.
Still best wishes in your new place, if you ever did run into me in say the food store at the check out line , I'd probably be the one saying...."oh no excuse me, no, you go first" In the end we all have to get along, irrespectable of our circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 01:47 PM

152 posts, read 628,367 times
Default More thoughts..........

[quote=JoeJoeMan;376403]Thanks fbcobrn, I appreciate your thoughts.....

"Sorry to say I am at odds with your type moving here"
I always figured my type to be: hardworking, honest,community-minded, compassionate, self-supporting, patriotic. Silly me, I was raised to believe these were virtues. Guess my farm-raised dad taught me wrong.

"I think if you lived somewhere, living there makes you part of the problem, and you took advantage of the oppurtunitues it had to offer."
I was born in the Bay Area and stayed til my folks died. They put me here. And because I loved being with them, I eventually cared for them at home, where they died; they never went into nursing homes. My family takes care of it's own.
Could say I did take advantage of educational opportunites in my 30's...since they were close by. Put myself thru Junior College for my Associate Science in Nursing, while working and raising my family (with a supportive husband).

"Do whatever it takes to make a buck, let all the cheap labor come in, basicaly you get the money and turn the place into a mess ."
I don't hire workers. I am a worker, and I work damn hard for my money so I can pay my own way in this world. Not typical in this welfare county.

"You see, I have an extra burden, I have to be nice and cordial to new comers, not only for their sake by my own, I don't like holding animosity towards other, so I have to work at over coming it...."

Well, I expect nothing less from myself in return. I look forward to a place where people have manners and are cordial, and expect their kids to be too. My 12 and 14 yr old grandsons are an oddity, here...they show people respect and can't understand why others their age don't.....they even use Ma'am and sir.. But then, they do have two sets of intact grandparents and intact parents to learn from. Also a rarity here.

"Still best wishes in your new place, if you ever did run into me in say the food store at the check out line , I'd probably be the one saying...."oh no excuse me, no, you go first" In the end we all have to get along, irrespectable of our circumstance."

Haha, and I'll be right behind you saying "that's ok, I can wait, but thank you for the offer, Sir." Maybe even hold the door for you next time I see ya comin', cuz goodness knows, those doors are heavy.
Thank you for the best wishes.....I think deep down we really aren't so different philosophically,ethically....or morally.

Keep well...

Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 PM

Best to you than fbcobrn....... we all live the lives we are given and make the best of it. I will always try to take each person for themselves, even though our circumstance may put us at odds. I think I mentioned in a previous post some of my good friendes are out-a-staters....sometimes life has a way of putting us at odds, but I do have a fondness for people who come here to enjoy what I enjoy. I guess that is my weakness...........enjoy your new place.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
I am a 4th generation Montanan, and I will tell you what happens when too many people move here. They come for the open spaces, peacful lifestyle and will often say they would like to see this place preserved. Most are hippocrates. The problem is that often they buy up land, fence it off, drive up prices forcing locals out. Also they are ruining our wilderness by over using it without any respect. Too much hunting, fishing, skiing, atv's, snowmobiles, etc. I see the destruction everywhere I go. Too many people are encroaching into the wild places. I am from bozeman where Bad attitude, bad driving and stuck up "know it all" people are everywhere. This used to be a super friendly town where you knew almost everyone, and people had respect for eachother. Most everyone I know from here has ended up leaving the area because of their disgust. Big box stores, subdivisions, drugs, crime and mean people are taking over this once great place. Even the city government here is now run by mostly Californians. It seems as if most big city east and west coasters think they are better and smarter than Montanans. If you are planning to move here please show respect and dont turn Montana into the hell hole where you come from. I used to want to see Montana grow because I thought we needed it. The thing is we don't! If you really love Montana just visit here and live wherever you come from. Otherwise this place be no different than other crowded states.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:46 PM

989 posts, read 3,529,868 times
I feel bad for the California folks now and then. We were at a rodeo last summer here in Helena and the clown was shooting off some brutal jokes about the California people who move to Montana. Everyone was getting good laughs over it but you could look over the crowd and see the the California folks stick out like sore thumbs. They were not enjoying the ribbing much.
I have never seen a place that is so open in their contempt towards outsiders from a certain area. I can understand why we are, our way of life is going to be altered, but it is a bit small minded.

I think if we were going to be upset about a certain group of people moving in we should be upset by the Mexicans crossing the borders and taking over areas. Many western town to the west of our state have been completely taken over by the Hispanic culture. We are next, I am certain of this. Its a flood that will not be stopped.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 PM

529 posts, read 1,894,370 times
And then there is this today from the Kalispell news:

The Flathead Valley is one of the fastest growing areas in Montana, absorbing over a quarter of the increase in population of the entire state throughout over the last five years.

Those numbers come from a 2006 construction, subdivision and annexation report.

Scot R. Blair, with Remax of Whitefish Elm Real Estate Group, says that there's a boom going on, but adds that too much development, done too quickly, could have a negative effect on the Flathead.

"I don't think anybody wants to wake up in ten years are realize we've over built and that it's just too crowded here."

He says that the growth in the past 15 years show slow and steady trends, but in the past five, it has hit an upsurge.

For instance, since 2000, the increase in the City of Kalispell's population accounts for almost half of the overall increase in the county's population.

Whitefish comes in second in terms of growth, followed by Columbia Falls.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 PM

mtsnowrider wrote :

Quote:
I am a 4th generation Montanan, and I will tell you what happens when too many people move here. They come for the open spaces, peacful lifestyle and will often say they would like to see this place preserved. Most are hippocrates. The problem is that often they buy up land, fence it off, drive up prices forcing locals out. Also they are ruining our wilderness by over using it without any respect. Too much hunting, fishing, skiing, atv's, snowmobiles, etc. I see the destruction everywhere I go. Too many people are encroaching into the wild places. I am from bozeman where Bad attitude, bad driving and stuck up "know it all" people are everywhere. This used to be a super friendly town where you knew almost everyone, and people had respect for eachother. Most everyone I know from here has ended up leaving the area because of their disgust. Big box stores, subdivisions, drugs, crime and mean people are taking over this once great place. Even the city government here is now run by mostly Californians. It seems as if most big city east and west coasters think they are better and smarter than Montanans. If you are planning to move here please show respect and dont turn Montana into the hell hole where you come from. I used to want to see Montana grow because I thought we needed it. The thing is we don't! If you really love Montana just visit here and live wherever you come from. Otherwise this place be no different than other crowded states.
Thank your for speaking up ! When I say that some people on here make me sound like I'm making it up. "Except Change" they say...personally I don't see where change has much good at all to the state. I nor my children can afford to buy a house in our own town anymore.

AQHA wrote:
Quote:
I think if we were going to be upset about a certain group of people moving in we should be upset by the Mexicans crossing the borders and taking over areas.
It really makes you wonder when your own country won't defend it's own borders, but we have no problem sending our boys to defend Iraq's. I say no one show up for the next federal election, because it doesnt' seem to matter who you vote for anymore, don't show up, that'll send a message, embarrass them in front of the whole world....when no one shows at the voting poles, let the politicians and the whole world know what we think of them. No wonder the Iragies don't want democracy, they see ours. We don't have a 2 party system anymore, we have a 2 familly system, Bush and Clinton (Hitlery is next), we live in a country where you get thrown in jail for disaplining your own children and the state can take them away without so much as a trial,.....If I lived in Iraq, I'd be telling us to screw too.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Default The Bitterroot Valley of Western Montana

You can also refer to Dr. Larry Swanson's Report, (Associate Director O’Connor Center for the Rocky Mountain West - University of Montana)

Presented in May, 2001.

Those of you from out of state really should read this......"in it's entirety"... so that you might come to understand why so many Montanans are all up in arms about the growth going on in Montana.

Now this report was presented in 2001 and is dealing with the 90's.

The growth is actually worse now.

Here's his report:

http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_other/r...swanson001.pdf

Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Default humm

Giftshopguy......I can't say I read that whole article, but I got the gist, very interesting, but you didn't have to be a Dr. (Phd) at a college to figure that out or write that paper.....it pretty much says what most area people already knew.... So much for some of those people on here saying the state population hasn't changed much.......the bitterroot and western montana have exploded, and it looks like that old saying is alive and well around here too..."the rich get richer and the poor get poorer", it appears most people don't work for their incomes either anymore in the valley, and the ones that do are just losing ground, with the cost of living and house prices thru the roof.....
SO I say to all your folks who thought I was angry, bitter and full of it ................READ THE ARTICLE, you might learn something

Thanks giftshopguy for helping me prove my point.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Giftshopguy......I can't say I read that whole article, but I got the gist, very interesting, but you didn't have to be a Dr. (Phd) at a college to figure that out or write that paper.....it pretty much says what most area people already knew.... So much for some of those people on here saying the state population hasn't changed much.......the bitterroot and western montana have exploded, and it looks like that old saying is alive and well around here too..."the rich get richer and the poor get poorer", it appears most people don't work for their incomes either anymore in the valley, and the ones that do are just losing ground, with the cost of living and house prices thru the roof.....
SO I say to all your folks who thought I was angry, bitter and full of it ................READ THE ARTICLE, you might learn something

Thanks giftshopguy for helping me prove my point.
I would venture to guess that within about the next 5 years, folks moving here from California (and other parts of the country), will end up "moving to" what they wanted to "move from".

Those who are here now, will be looking to bail in about 5 to 7 years.... cause it is, or it will be, just like the place they ran away from in the first place.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana