Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 AM

26 posts, read 77,334 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in Phillips county even bother to ever take the keys out of the car?? I think the only time I ever recall that happening was one of my siblings accidentally removing them or when we left for a month summer vacation.

But in all seriousness I wouldn't retire to Malta for one reason. Mosquitoes. Well, okay then there is the 90 miles to an airport or a hospital that can treat you and 200 miles if you want real airlines or medical care. If you like to go out on the prairie at night and look at the stars without any light polution. Malta is your place. If you like to look at the dead of night and have it be so dark you cannot tell where the earth reaches the sky - Malta is your place. If you like tough farmers and nice churchpeople who don't follow Dobson/Fallwell but voted for Bush then Malta is for you. If you like to build a fire on the prairie and think of what it was like 100 years ago with Butch Cassidy and The Kid then Malta is for you. If you like cold. I mean real, sub-zero cold. Then Malta is for you. Otherwise stay out of my hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,216 times
I live in Lincoln county, what would you like to know about our area?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM

77 posts, read 238,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boybrady View Post
Does anyone in Phillips county even bother to ever take the keys out of the car?? I think the only time I ever recall that happening was one of my siblings accidentally removing them or when we left for a month summer vacation.

But in all seriousness I wouldn't retire to Malta for one reason. Mosquitoes. Well, okay then there is the 90 miles to an airport or a hospital that can treat you and 200 miles if you want real airlines or medical care. If you like to go out on the prairie at night and look at the stars without any light polution. Malta is your place. If you like to look at the dead of night and have it be so dark you cannot tell where the earth reaches the sky - Malta is your place. If you like tough farmers and nice churchpeople who don't follow Dobson/Fallwell but voted for Bush then Malta is for you. If you like to build a fire on the prairie and think of what it was like 100 years ago with Butch Cassidy and The Kid then Malta is for you. If you like cold. I mean real, sub-zero cold. Then Malta is for you. Otherwise stay out of my hometown.

Agreed,
Totally, But one could say Kevin is the primo spot for the above. Scads of skeeters though. I remember one time going to visit grandma and grandpa and the snow drifts were level with the eves of the house>

Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
My sister & her husband recently retired to Thompson Falls and absolutely love it there. They are right on the water, love the peace & quiet, no traffic, and the friendly people. They live right in the trees. It is gorgeous.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 AM

26 posts, read 77,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsmom View Post
Agreed,
Totally, But one could say Kevin is the primo spot for the above. Scads of skeeters though. I remember one time going to visit grandma and grandpa and the snow drifts were level with the eves of the house>
You could say almost anywhere on the hiline is primo for that, including the skeeters. People think I am joking when I talk about seeing black clouds of mosquitoes rise up off the plains - I am not.

Although the really deep snows and extremely extremely cold (40 below +) has been on the decline. Check out the arbor day foundation on how much the hardiness of Montana has changed: The Arbor Day Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT
My sister & her husband recently retired to Thompson Falls and absolutely love it there. They are right on the water, love the peace & quiet, no traffic, and the friendly people. They live right in the trees. It is gorgeous.
The people with Thompson Falls in their sights won't consider Malta, and vise-versa. They are so different. Plains vs Mountains. Eastern vs Western. Conservative vs MT liberal. Cheap vs Expensive.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:38 PM

49 posts, read 107,204 times
Default Red Lodge Montana is quiet, safe, fun.

Red Lodge Montana, don't take my word for it, visit these places, then choose.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boybrady View Post
The people with Thompson Falls in their sights won't consider Malta, and vise-versa. They are so different. Plains vs Mountains. Eastern vs Western. Conservative vs MT liberal. Cheap vs Expensive.
This type of generalization is nonsense. I've lived outside of Thompson falls, in and outside of Kalispell and in Hot Springs. I live on the highline right now but I may very well after a few years decide to move to Libby or Butte, I may decide to move to Miles city if I can find a good deal on an investment property there. Some people like to have a change of environment every once in a while. I don't think you can peg-hole people that easily.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM

79 posts, read 275,661 times
Are mosquitoes a problem in the mountains too or just in the prarie areas? I read something on line about mosquitoes big enough to carry you away in Montana...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
There are probably more mosquitoes in the mountains than the prairie but in general Mosquitoes aren't really considered a problem. When I'm fishing on or hiking along the rivers in the mountains of Montana I am usually more concerned with the poison ivy than mosquitoes.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM

271 posts, read 460,149 times
I lived in Kalispell and there seemed to be a lot of retirees there. It's a beautiful place- if you like outdoor activities there is Flathead Lake, plenty of mountains and parks, all very nearby, and on the flip side, there is plenty of shopping and dining in town. So its like the best of both worlds. If I could have found a decent job, I'd still be there! I miss it terribly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana