Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,606 times

Advertisements

I can't decide between a truck or an SUV. I assume 4WD would be highly recommended. Is there a benefit to one over the other? I love camping and fishing so I'd definitely be going off road.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Most importantly, you need a vehicle that is "Reliable". After that, it's personal preference.

Do you need to haul things other then a tent and a couple sleeping bags? Do you go camping in the snow? Are you looking for a 4 wheel drive for the 20 minutes you spend off road?

Personally, I have a 4 wheel drive. But I feed horses and get into some real muck. I could do it just fine in a 2 wheel drive truck and occassionally chain up. But who wants to lay in the much and put chains on?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Well, I have a Jeep now that's done well by me. I want to buy American, not just made in America. Any opinions on what would be unreliable (easier to avoid)?

I plan to haul a camping trailer eventually and try snow camping eventually too. And I definitely plan on spending more than 20 minutes off road
I plan on doing a lot of exploring. I've never been to Montana and am looking forward to getting to know it.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM

A jeep will do fine for what you want to do. Most importantly, if it's something you are used to, I'd stick with it. Again, as long as it's reliable.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
My preference is a full size four wheel drive with a cab-over camper that you can set somewhere when your not camping in it and also have a small cheap front wheel drive economy car. It's nice to have a backup rig especially if one has heath issues and happen to live out in the boonies.

Another thing to think about is devaluation. If you want a new rig, buy a used one from a dealer that is still under full warranty with less than 25,000 on it and you'll get a better deal than buying new off the lot.

However because we choose to put our meager funds into dirt, bricks and sticks, I'm still driving a 25 year old Toyota 4x4 SR5 that is the rustiest, ugliest noisiest and most reliable rig I've ever owned

I have only bought two brand new vehicles in my life and both were big mistakes.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 PM

I'm not thrilled with Jeep's short warranty coverage, 3yr/36K, so I've been considering other makes.

I've been looking at Ford, Chevy, GMC trucks. Besides my Jeep I've owned two Fords and a Subaru so I don't have a lot of vehicle experience. I may end up with a Jeep again but I feel better at least trying to compare...

Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM

In that case you should know.

4 wheel drive is NOT the same as ALL wheel drive. Most 4 wheel drives are truely 4 wheel, or at least one front and one back wheel pulling.

An ALL wheel drive is a differential that will apply power to which every wheel turns the easiest. Meaning, any of the 4 wheels will pull, but not all of them.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Thanks rickers.

That's actually why I've been considering a truck - for a cab-over camper. My dad had that setup and I really liked it. I also love the covered cargo space of my Cherokee though.

I've also been looking into a good used vehicle because it really hurts to buy a new one and then hear the change dropping out of the trunk as you pull out of the dealers lot...

Whatever I get this time, I plan on keeping for a long time.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Well, covered cargo space is doable enough in a truck, too -- if you're planning on hauling a travel trailer, you might want to leave the "home away from home" thing to that, and get a simple shell for the back of the truck. That way you've got covered cargo space and simple sleeping quarters but don't have to wrestle a big camper around all the time... either driving with it or the nuisance of getting it on and off (and not having it fall sideways off its jacks when the ground goes soft during the spring thaw... I've seen that a few times!)

I've got a 32 year old Ford pickup with the most basic cheapest 31-year-old shell I could find ($100 at the salvage yard!) and the two things I'd do different if I had the loose change 1) I'd want a taller shell, and maybe even the kind with big doors in the back and almost enough headroom to stand upright, and 2) next time I'll buy a heavier truck. The poor old F100 just gets too slow when you inflict an F250 sized load on it.

(And I've somehow collected four travel trailers over the years, from teeny tiny primitive to extra-large and like a regular house trailer inside. Only paid enough to notice for one of the smaller ones, cuz it had a layout I'd been hunting for years. Two were free and the 3rd was $200.)

Elk, I'd like to hear more about 4WD vs AWD, mostly about how they actually handle under mucky or slippery conditions. Also about comparative maintenance issues under MT-type conditions.

Last edited by Reziac; 10-09-2010 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: clarimuckation

Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Girl View Post
I can't decide between a truck or an SUV. I assume 4WD would be highly recommended. Is there a benefit to one over the other? I love camping and fishing so I'd definitely be going off road.

Thanks for any input!
Hi welcome!
Great advice you are getting, I would go for the thing you are most comfortable with. EH has a point. Can you just bring your current rig and see how it goes?
Help the Montana economy and buy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana