Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,771,790 times

Advertisements

This is completely backwards of how it should work: People who want to get out of being disabled and become productive should get help (not necessarily as money); those who concentrate on staying disabled (including spending most of their energy finding ways to stay in the system) should not.[/quote]

I think you are confused on disability and welfare.

What is SSDI?
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a monthly benefit for people who have worked in the past and paid Social Security taxes. SSDI benefits are paid to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of their disability.

SSI makes monthly payments to people who have low income and few resources and are:
  • Age 65 or older;
  • Blind; or
  • Disabled
As you can see only one of these (SSI) is considered a gov't handout program and (SSDI) is the one you pay in to and is not a gov't funded program.

I am trying to get SSDI. So many people have a hard time differentiating between the two.

I'm sure if you had a terrible accident that kept you from ever working again and making the money you were living on for 20 to 40 yrs, had all savings exhausted and no family help, as in NO INCOME what so ever, and you found out you qualified for SSDI, you would turn it down cause your not a totally disabled, sitting in the corner, staring at the walls 24/7, drooling vegetable.

So basically the bottom line is, not everybody is on the "government dole" because their on disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times
This thread presents a very interesting discussion between a severely disabled person and others, with both sides making legitimate points. However, it is a diversion from the real problem because this is a relatively rare case study. The millions of dollars wasted in the current disability system stem from the corruption of the people running it, as well as the false claims being made. Several news exposes show people illegitimately drawing disability payments for "bad backs", while caught lifting 40 pound bags of potting soil into the trunk of their car.

In addition, it has been common practice in California for some law enforcement, usually at the Sheriff's level, to magically file for disability a month before their retirement. These were not isolated instances, but a common practice for people abusing the system to "double-dip" thousands of dollars a month combining pension with additional false disability checks.

In summary, I have a few patients that absolutely cannot work in any capacity. However, I strongly believe that any person that CAN work, even in a diminished capacity, should work to earn their disability check. This not only mitigates some of the financial burden on society, but productivity promotes personal dignity. In contrast, money for nothing, promotes low self-esteem, laziness, depression, and self-pity.

It also doesn't take much to extrapolate my stance on "welfare" vs "workfare".

Old 05-17-2009, 02:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I think you are confused on disability and welfare.
Nope, I'm not confused. The people I know are all on SSDI. Most have never worked, or worked very little. I don't know what the regs are but I can tell you from firsthand observation that they are being used to create a stable class of people who will vote for those whose policies will continue their disability payments, rather than anything that would enable independence from the system.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
In addition, it has been common practice in California for some law enforcement, usually at the Sheriff's level, to magically file for disability a month before their retirement. These were not isolated instances, but a common practice for people abusing the system to "double-dip" thousands of dollars a month combining pension with additional false disability checks.
Oh, that's fascinating... I wonder what other depts. may do the same? I'd guess anywhere that involves work outside an office might "qualify".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
In summary, I have a few patients that absolutely cannot work in any capacity. However, I strongly believe that any person that CAN work, even in a diminished capacity, should work to earn their disability check. This not only mitigates some of the financial burden on society, but productivity promotes personal dignity. In contrast, money for nothing, promotes low self-esteem, laziness, depression, and self-pity.
This is precisely what I see in my nonworking-disabled friends and acquaintances -- some mix of low self-esteem, laziness, depression, and/or self-pity. And those already inclined toward mental issues are affected the worst, as it becomes a self-perpetuating depression which in turn is USED to keep them on disability!

Conversely, I know a high-functioning retarded guy who holds down a job as a property watchman and all-around helper -- he knows he's retarded and can't do more complex work, but he's so proud to be at least partly making his own way.... One of our local Walmarts seems to hire more than its fair share of borderline-retarded folks as clerks and greeters. They can do the work, so why not?

[thinking] Doing invoices gives me a cataleptic seizure (almost literally -- it puts me right to sleep!) Hey! I should be collecting disability!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:42 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,771,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Nope, I'm not confused. The people I know are all on SSDI. Most have never worked, or worked very little. I don't know what the regs are but I can tell you from firsthand observation that they are being used to create a stable class of people who will vote for those whose policies will continue their disability payments, rather than anything that would enable independence from the system.
If they have never worked or worked very little then they can't be on SSDI. You have to earn enough credits to get it. You need 40 credits and I have 63 credits so I EARNED it.

So, if they have never worked they are not getting SSDI.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:44 PM

66 posts, read 153,171 times
Thanks yyz1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: