Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 41,528 times

Advertisements

OK, I want to know...how do they prevent inbreeding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 41,528 times
OK...how do they prevent inbreeding? Seriously, I really want to know.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandifromtcu View Post
OK...how do they prevent inbreeding? Seriously, I really want to know.
OK
From what I hear (mind you this is only heresay) the Hutterite's make their own wine and have "parties". They hire umm.. outside "studs" to impregnate their women to prevent inbreeding in the colony. Rickers post about a sheet with a hole in it and the elders watching is a new one to me, but I wouldn't doubt it at all. I've never been to a colony so I don't really know any more that what comes from other people.

The only times I've seen them is at farmers markets and up around Basin MT. I must admit they have good produce and eggs at the farmers markets. I usually buy eggs and veggies from them annually at the farmers market. From my experience they have been very nice people.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Default Hutterites

[
Quote:
quote=brandifromtcu;9103520]OK, I want to know...how do they prevent inbreeding?
[/quote]

Hutterites have colonies in both the US and in Canada and regularly marry between the colonies. It is not as if on a small colony, the folks are marrying each other. In fact, it is somewhat rare for people in the same colony to marry within the colony even if they aren't related. When you grow up as children in a communal setting, you tend to see all them all as siblings and people are not usually attracted to their siblings. This phenomenon has also been documented when it comes to children in kibbutzim in Israel.

It really bothers me to see that the ridiculous stories about hiring neighbors for sex to prevent inbreeding are still making the rounds. I can assure you there is not a word of truth to it and I think that if folks would just think about it for a second, they would realize how ridiculous it is. It's on the same level as teen-aged boys giggling about the sex they've had only in their imaginations behind the proverbial barn.

Hutterites are some of the best neighbours you can ever hope to have. I am in Manitoba, not Canada, and when the Red River flooded in 1997 (as well as this year), Hutterites, 'regular' people and the army worked side by side filling sandbags. When non-Hutterite neighbours have had their houses burned down or have needed help in some sort of way, the Hutterites have been the first to step in, right down to offering families houses to stay in.

They are not one of those para-military Christian cults who wrap themselves up in a compound and don't welcome outsiders. I suggest that anyone curious about the Hutterite way of life call the colony and ask for a tour. Outsiders are welcomed, offered food and treated courteously. And they are in turn curious about farming practises when it comes to farming ways that aren't communal.

To non-Hutterites, their questions can sometimes seem too blunt but this is because there are no secrets on colonies and they have a tendency to ask what they want to know straight out, no beating around the bush. It isn't on-purpose rudeness.

Hutterite children can and do leave colonies. Some leave colonies permanently, deciding that the communal way of life is not for them, while others, after a brief foray into the outside world, return and are welcomed back.

They make wonderful goose down pillows and blankets. All my bedding is Hutterite made. They have wonderful Christmas concerts on their colonies and are some of the best a cappella singers around.

Unlike the Amish, they are not adverse to technology if it proves to have a practical purpose.

For their website and an idea on what Hutterites believe you can check out Hutterites on the web

Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
The only times I've seen them is at farmers markets and up around Basin MT. I must admit they have good produce and eggs at the farmers markets. I usually buy eggs and veggies from them annually at the farmers market. From my experience they have been very nice people.
Dunno about now, but when I lived in MT, each Albertson's grocery bought their eggs from the Hutterites. So they were local eggs and always fresh, and it kept the money in the MT economy. Great deal for everyone.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hutterites have colonies in both the US and in Canada and regularly marry between the colonies. It is not as if on a small colony, the folks are marrying each other. In fact, it is somewhat rare for people in the same colony to marry within the colony even if they aren't related. When you grow up as children in a communal setting, you tend to see all them all as siblings and people are not usually attracted to their siblings. This phenomenon has also been documented when it comes to children in kibbutzim in Israel.

It really bothers me to see that the ridiculous stories about hiring neighbors for sex to prevent inbreeding are still making the rounds. I can assure you there is not a word of truth to it and I think that if folks would just think about it for a second, they would realize how ridiculous it is. It's on the same level as teen-aged boys giggling about the sex they've had only in their imaginations behind the proverbial barn

That is really good to know. I've heard the "stud" stories my entire life, but have never met anyone who has actually participated.. Just one guy that said he was "propositioned".

Like I said in my post it was only hearsay. I don't want to go around starting rumors. The Hutterites I've met at farmers markets have all been very nice people and the food I've bought has always been top quality.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 06-03-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
[
For their website and an idea on what Hutterites believe you can check out Hutterites on the web
I find this statement from that site interesting:

People often ask to what extent Hutterites share their possessions. No, Hutterites, don't share their toothbrushes and the like. All Hutterites keep some personal possessions which include personal effects. In addition, homes are private and household items within them are considered personal, although the colony may have provided them to begin with. But the homes, garages, barns, fields, vehicles and machinery, successes and failures are all jointly owned and considered "ours".
Sharing both success and failure takes real community.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by severdsoul View Post
why not? i'd be online, although have to save up to have solar and wind power, and satatlite tv and net. Just because 'off grid' would not nessicarly mean out of the loop.
I'd love to have a chunk of land, start a small community self sufficent for the most part, get 10 or 20 people together, can trade off working a real job to pay for bills , (satalite, upkeep on solar, taxes) till you can start producing something that you can sell, (which you could do online) and generate revenue. Declair your self your own country, and then you can hunt and fish when ever you want, your rules.
has potential. Would also want land with a decent running creek, so you could set up hydro power as well. cover all basis. Then you can set up a nice walk in freezer, a community room for tv and lap top.
I know people who did that in Arizona, out near Sedona. After a few years it fell apart -- the problem is that when it involves people from widely varied walks of life, the sense of community falls apart as soon as someone fails to do their share, or feels like they're doing more than their share, and then the finances start to unravel and there's no going back. I can't think of any such community that's lasted longer than about 10 years, and usually not that long.

These concepts only really seem to work in the long term when they're also based on a fairly homogenous founding culture, like the Amish or Hutterites (who've been at it for hundreds of years, and don't look likely to fail any time soon), where you DON'T have a lot of differing lifestyles or opinions lurking in the background.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM

66 posts, read 231,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Dunno about now, but when I lived in MT, each Albertson's grocery bought their eggs from the Hutterites. So they were local eggs and always fresh, and it kept the money in the MT economy. Great deal for everyone.

Yup, they still do, you can see them a few times a week bring in a load of eggs to albertsons. (well in great falls anyway, i cant say i remember seeing them here in the ones in missoula, odd..)

Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
You are not going to find any communities that are totally and truly self sufficient. One place to look at are the Hutterites. There are several Hutterite colonies in my area. I could tell you a few stories about them but I won't on this thread. The weirdest story is about how some colonies prevent inbreeding. You can DM me for the bazaar details !
Yep... heard all about that one. Pretty wild !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: