Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM

307 posts, read 981,203 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I am new here, and I was inquiring to find out which part of MT is the most old-fashioned, laid-back, simple western lifestyle, with good, down to earth, friendly, "everyone's family" kind of people? I read on here so much about the influx of out-of-staters with "ways-changing" ideas and modern alterations to traditional MT lifestyle and ways. I want to avoid those areas that are so "progressive", modern, and fast-paced. I would prefer a country lifestyle...which suits me fine. And would like to be in the same area of similar minded individuals. I also appreciate the beauty of nature at its natural which I am sure MT has plenty of. And enjoy an equestrian and ranching environment as well. I love Mountain living, but am concerned it has been overrun by "careless out-of-staters" of which I am not...well, I am an out-of-stater...but not careless for Montana's way of life and values. I will be obliged for your thoughtful help and wise guidance, friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Greetings. I am new here, and I was inquiring to find out which part of MT is the most old-fashioned, laid-back, simple western lifestyle, with good, down to earth, friendly, "everyone's family" kind of people? I read on here so much about the influx of out-of-staters with "ways-changing" ideas and modern alterations to traditional MT lifestyle and ways. I want to avoid those areas that are so "progressive", modern, and fast-paced. I would prefer a country lifestyle...which suits me fine. And would like to be in the same area of similar minded individuals. I also appreciate the beauty of nature at its natural which I am sure MT has plenty of. And enjoy an equestrian and ranching environment as well. I love Mountain living, but am concerned it has been overrun by "careless out-of-staters" of which I am not...well, I am an out-of-stater...but not careless for Montana's way of life and values. I will be obliged for your thoughtful help and wise guidance, friends.
Hi,
I'm not sure I know a town that fits the "mayberry" ideal. I've been in and out of the state for many years and have found, on the outskirts of many areas there are just the kind of people you are looking for!

Our family lives outside of Belgrade, and though we don't go to the bars much, we do hang out with our "family of friends" almost every weekend. Our kids all play together and we camp, fish, hunt and do almost everything together. My wife and I even had our wedding at a friends ranch, and when we took off on our honeymoon, our friends came along, babysat for a night and then we all went out on the town and had a blast!

The lifestyle you are looking for does exist, but you may have to spend some time finding the right people. I don't know that there is a town like what you describe, and it might take a while to get to know folks.. But if you are honest, and can roll with the punches I betcha you will find what you are looking for.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Your question is a little broad, and hard to answer.
This is a very large state, with very different climates, people, vistas and attitudes.

You can find laid back, family values, and rural livestyles all over. If you want to avoid the libs and greens, stay away from Missoula and Helena.

You will find good hard working people anywhere you go in this state. People who have traditional values, family, and a supurb work ethic.

They can be open and friendly beyond what you may ever expect.

That said. The greatest influx of out of staters is west of the divide, and Bozeman. The movie stars have "discovered" the area around Livingston and Big Timber all the way east along the Absarokee-Beartooth front to Nye and Fishtail ending around Red Lodge. Not a good place to be anymore.

There are good people where-ever you go, but don't expect them to come running to welcome you.
It will take time to be accepted. You will have to prove you are worthy of their friendship.

If you act like they owe you because you graced their rustic little backwater hamlet with your gracious presence, It will be a long cold lonely winter.

Visit, ask questions, go to the local coffee shop and see the locals, listen to them.
Make your decision after some investigation as each place in the state has it's own charm and personality. Find the one that matches you.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Have you visited yet?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM

89 posts, read 327,652 times
Choteau, Augusta, Dillon, maybe Conrad.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Have you visited yet?
No...I haven't visited MT yet...I plan to this summer. I have been in Wyoming many times, but thats as close.

I seem to understand that the type of lyfestyle I am inquiring about appears more abundant in the eastern part of the state? I do love the mountains and forests very much, but would be disturbed by a very liberal, modern and hectic type of environment.

Is the ranching and equestrian environment more easterly? Thanks for all your responses thus far...they are greatly valued, folks.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Talking Calling AQUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
No...I haven't visited MT yet...I plan to this summer. I have been in Wyoming many times, but thats as close.

I seem to understand that the type of lyfestyle I am inquiring about appears more abundant in the eastern part of the state? I do love the mountains and forests very much, but would be disturbed by a very liberal, modern and hectic type of environment.

Is the ranching and equestrian environment more easterly? Thanks for all your responses thus far...they are greatly valued, folks.
Humm... Where is AQHA? He would be able to answer the horsey questions!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Humm... Where is AQHA? He would be able to answer the horsey questions!
Probably out enjoying a sunset ride on a nice Spring evening.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
Choteau, Augusta, Dillon, maybe Conrad.
You got it ! Conrad's "Whoop Up Trail" Days are this weekend.
I call Conrad "The Mayberry Of Montana" The Ulm Rhubarb fest is in Conrad now and is held in conjunction with Whoop Up Days.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
You got it ! Conrad's "Whoop Up Trail" Days are this weekend.
I call Conrad "The Mayberry Of Montana" The Ulm Rhubarb fest is in Conrad now and is held in conjunction with Whoop Up Days.

So Conrad is a great town I take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana