Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 05:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times

Advertisements

The following is from the Montana History Yahoo list:

"Montana Place Names from Alzada to Zortman" is the authoritative reference guide to Montana places:

by Montana Historical Society Research Center Staff
350 pages, 100+ photographs and maps
paper, ISBN 978-0-9759196-1-3, $24.95

For the reason for this book and a description of the book, as well as ordering information, please go to Montana Historical Society Press

H/T: BI via Montana-Alliance-for-Liberty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I've seen a book somewhere before about Montana place names. I'm a rail fan and found this website that has a link to Montana place names and here is a link to a page on the site that has the link to the place names.

Montana Railroad History

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I've seen a book somewhere before about Montana place names. I'm a rail fan and found this website that has a link to Montana place names and here is a link to a page on the site that has the link to the place names. :D

Montana Railroad History

Thanks.

I've passed along that link, MontanaPlaceNames.htm, back to the person who gave me the link for the book that's in my opening comment on this thread.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Now all that person has to do is email me with some other Montana history trivia and we'll have a regular circle of info going !

Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Now all that person has to do is email me with some other Montana history trivia and we'll have a regular circle of info going ! :ok: :D :smack: ;)

I'm sure he could!

That person is a full-blooded Crow, and knows many, many interesting things about Montana history.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Yea I know a couple of old timers on the Flathead Rez who are Salish and they love to sit and tell all sorts of stories about Hot Springs when he was a kid. During Homesteader days in the first few years the Indians would ride over from mission valley on horses and drink whiskey and shoot out the street lights from their horses with rifles ! 12 years ago when I moved to that town, on Homesteader days on Saturday night there would be fights on several corners at once and bottles would be flying from one side of the street to the other. One year two ranch hands pulled their guns on each other but neither fired.

Here are some pictures of Montana history. I took all of the pics on C.S.K.T. lands except the one of the rock formations near Valier.

The Camas Prairie school gym. I was told that when the number of students went from 6 to 3 they closed the school and the gym.

Rumor also has it that there were tepee rings at Rock City just north of Valier but folks made fire rings by moving the tepee ring rocks.
Pic below is of the hoodoos at Rock City.

The grave markers below are in the Ventling cemetery on the "H" hill adjacent to Hot Springs.
These are graves of some of the white settlers who homesteaded on the Reservation after the federal government opened up the reservation to homesteading by whites. The town of Hot Springs can be seen in the distance of one of the grave marker pics.

This old log cabin was called the Nez Perce Cabin and it sits above the Lower Flathead River. The roof is gone now.

Last edited by Rickers; 07-28-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 AM

305 posts, read 869,334 times
Thanks for those pics!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,885 times
I'm surprised you would support a state-funded, government-driven institution like the Montana Historical Society. Insert sarcasm here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: