Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,379 times

Advertisements

We are wondering what winter weather is like in Bozeman and Kalispell- is it as grey as Portland, OR?

Last edited by jafeighner; 08-10-2009 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: gave too much information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafeighner View Post
We are wondering what winter weather is like in Bozeman and Kalispell- is it as grey as Portland, OR?
Hello and welcome, here is an older thread to get you started, post 10 I think addresses the Bozeman question.
//www.city-data.com/forum/monta...s-bozeman.html

Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,242 times
Whitefish is as grey as Portland, OR. Bozeman is much sunnier.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Whitefish is as grey as Portland, OR.
I've spent lots of time in these places and I have found Portland Oregon to be a lot more overcast than whitefish Montana. The City Data stats show Whitefish to be just a bit sunnier. I don't trust the data supplied by City-Data very much. I can point out several factual errors on their city info pages.

Last edited by Rickers; 08-10-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,044 times
Kalispell is pretty much in open country - not many hills around there. What they do get is FOG and ICE. The highway dept dumps some kinda brown crud on the road - it melts the ice, then it freezes. You'll need studded tires.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Kalispell is pretty much in open country - not many hills around there.
It only looks open because it was heavily logged. The Flathead Valley used to be almost fully wooded and the valley is surrounded by mountain ranges. On the west side of the Flathead Valley is the Salish Range, the Swan Range is to the east of the valley and the whitefish range is directly north of the Flathead Valley. I Think the name Kalispell is either Salish or Kootenai for "meadow above the lake" and the "hills" that are found here and there within the valley I believe are drumlins. Flathead valley's "sister" valley, the Mission Valley has the Mission mountains to the east and the Salish Range to the west. It only takes a few minutes out of Kalispell to be in the mountains an almost any direction.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,379 times
Thank you all very much! Post 10 was really helpful as are your comments. We are wanting to get away from the grey/rain of Portland to a sunny, snowy winter for skiing and snowshoeing. It sounds like Bozeman is better... Can little kids be outside playing in the snow in winter or is it too harsh? (our kids will be 1 and 3 if we do move next year) Also do you know anything about the schools? thanks again! PS Rickers did you post in another thread an actual location of where you caught a large fish? Isn't this against flyfishing code? : )

Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,242 times
Bozeman is great for playing outside in the snow. The weather is colder than Whitefish, but since the humidity is much less when the temperature is cold, it is actually much more bearable. They actually flood the soccer fields in Bozeman with fire trucks in the winter and turn them into skating rinks. They can't do that in Whitefish because 3" of ice melts too easily.

However, you generally can't make snowmen in the winter in Bozeman because the snow is fluffy and doesn't stick together to make snowballs. Also Bozeman is pretty dry so it doesn't snow very much. White Christmas's weren't a guarantee there.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafeighner View Post
PS Rickers did you post in another thread an actual location of where you caught a large fish? Isn't this against flyfishing code? : )
I don't keep my fishing spots secret, because when I go fishing It's not really the fish that I'm after ! You are right though, I do remember making a post about a big one I caught in the Kalispell region, it was a 26 inch long Brook Trout I caught at the Quarter Circle Bridge in Glacier National Park.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 AM

34 posts, read 98,240 times
I think Boze is great in the winter and we've had white xmas every year here. We can make snowmen too, so there there's lots of sun most years so you can get out and xcountry ski, alpine ski of course. The schools flood the fields so the kids can skate.
Schools in MT in general are topknotch, if you do a search you'll see that the Bozeman district is excellent, Bozeman HS being voted one of the best in the country. It gets cold but most days you can get out in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana