Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

Hi Rozco,

I cannot speak for how it is in Bozman, but the Ronan residents have been more than gracious.

I am from South Florida. I have lived here approximately 2 months. I have not experienced any resentment from the locals, even though I was advised by a Montana resident that the Indian Natives are resentful of whites. This is not true! They, too, are gracious.

If you treat people with respect and a smile they will respond in kind. For the few who don't, it's their loss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,195 times
"Overtake the locals"?! What the heck are you talking about?

I moved to Ronan a couple of months ago. I attend the local church, eat at the local cafe and buy from the local businesses.

I have not experienced any communication issues...as I "speak a different language". So allow me to be as clear as possible: you have serious jealousy issues!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 32,783 times
Being from Los Angeles, I completely agree with Colo-Omar.

Los Angeles was invaded by everybody who was tired of the cold weather. Everyone expected us to bend over backwards for them. Mostly East coast folks, and very nice, just looking for a new start, so they poured in, and we accepted them, because after all this is America!

Los Angeles population has almost tripled since the 60s and 70s when I was growing up here.
We'd go to our Disneyland, and put up with the crows of tourist's from every state in the union, and understood that not every state has something as grand as Disneyland, so we put up with lines we hadn't experienced before.
Folks from Washington and Oregon got tired of the rain, Arizonians hated the heat, and folks from back east came by the thousands because they were tired of shoveling snow moved here, and we didn't bat an eye. Who wouldn't want to live close to Malibu beach, or Mammoth lakes?

Now we have the additional problem of our friends across the border literally taking over, and so it's our turn to say, heck with this, and wanting to get out.

We can no longer drive to the beaches, Mountain resorts, of Downtown attractions we loved. Taking my family to the beach, (25 miles away) is now a 3 hour drive.

We come to a state like Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and are treated like Martians. I like other Californians had my car windows broken with notes, "Go Home!" spray painted on my car because of my California plates.

Well, we need to move. If your taxes have gone up, consider that our sales tax in LA is 9.75%. Oue DMV fees have just doubled, (425.00 to register my 06 Pt Cruiser for one year), property taxes are simply un managable, and a 2 bedroom 1 bath home here cost's $400,000.00

Can you really blame us for wanting out? We just want to move to a place where our children can go to a good school, feel safe walking home, and driving to a movie house won't take 45 minutes in traffic. We'd also like to go fishing in a lake where the fish doesn't taste like diesel fuel, and visit a park with dirty diapers strewn about. Sounds like the beauty of Montana, Wyoming, and possibly Colorado.
Most of us want to come there an be good neighbors. I want our family to come and enjoy the small town feel again, not make it another LA. We're trying to escape that!

I was ostrisized in Oregon and Colorado.
I really hope to get better treatment in Montana.
I want to buy a horse ranch to put my 3 horses on, wave hello to a neighbor, and unlike LA be waved back to, and say good morning over coffee to a stranger like we did here in the 70's,
Your state is absolutely beautiful, and I want our kids to have a beautiful place to grow up in and have a place they can be proud to live in again, cause LA now sucks!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdrums View Post
Being from Los Angeles, I completely agree with Colo-Omar.

Los Angeles was invaded by everybody who was tired of the cold weather. Everyone expected us to bend over backwards for them. Mostly East coast folks, and very nice, just looking for a new start, so they poured in, and we accepted them, because after all this is America!

Los Angeles population has almost tripled since the 60s and 70s when I was growing up here.
We'd go to our Disneyland, and put up with the crows of tourist's from every state in the union, and understood that not every state has something as grand as Disneyland, so we put up with lines we hadn't experienced before.
Folks from Washington and Oregon got tired of the rain, Arizonians hated the heat, and folks from back east came by the thousands because they were tired of shoveling snow moved here, and we didn't bat an eye. Who wouldn't want to live close to Malibu beach, or Mammoth lakes?

Now we have the additional problem of our friends across the border literally taking over, and so it's our turn to say, heck with this, and wanting to get out.

We can no longer drive to the beaches, Mountain resorts, of Downtown attractions we loved. Taking my family to the beach, (25 miles away) is now a 3 hour drive.

We come to a state like Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and are treated like Martians. I like other Californians had my car windows broken with notes, "Go Home!" spray painted on my car because of my California plates.

Well, we need to move. If your taxes have gone up, consider that our sales tax in LA is 9.75%. Oue DMV fees have just doubled, (425.00 to register my 06 Pt Cruiser for one year), property taxes are simply un managable, and a 2 bedroom 1 bath home here cost's $400,000.00

Can you really blame us for wanting out? We just want to move to a place where our children can go to a good school, feel safe walking home, and driving to a movie house won't take 45 minutes in traffic. We'd also like to go fishing in a lake where the fish doesn't taste like diesel fuel, and visit a park with dirty diapers strewn about. Sounds like the beauty of Montana, Wyoming, and possibly Colorado.
Most of us want to come there an be good neighbors. I want our family to come and enjoy the small town feel again, not make it another LA. We're trying to escape that!

I was ostrisized in Oregon and Colorado.
I really hope to get better treatment in Montana.
I want to buy a horse ranch to put my 3 horses on, wave hello to a neighbor, and unlike LA be waved back to, and say good morning over coffee to a stranger like we did here in the 70's,
Your state is absolutely beautiful, and I want our kids to have a beautiful place to grow up in and have a place they can be proud to live in again, cause LA now sucks!
A lot of the resentment here in MT really is because of Californians... Plain and simple. People that move here need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them. Don't take this the wrong way, there are exceptions to the rule, but we really do get a lot of shady business people looking to exploit the place and lots of urban problems that were never present here before the migration. If LA sucks fix it, don't make another problem somewhere else because the easy lifestyle you were used to got out of hand.

Locals can't hardly afford housing, and family ranches are going the way of the dodo because of economic problems caused by the "easy" attitude that seems to have root in your state.

Everyone wants a good place to raise their kids... A HUGE problem here is with the kids. Californians are trying to move their kids to a better place, but don't realize that they are just bringing their problems here. They see it as better than where they came from, without consideration that they are making it worse for people who are already here.. Same thing that happened to Colorado and Idaho during the 80's and 90's.

While I wish you well in finding a horse ranch, don't be too sensitive when people who have worked and lived here all or most of their lives get irritated that you can afford to do this, when they may have been saving up for most or all of their lives trying to buy the same property and end up priced out of the same dream.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,687,081 times
Dang it TW I just may have to

STAND AND APPLAUD!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM

19 posts, read 42,303 times
Good points, Timberwolf. It's always some one else's kids that are the bad ones, never your own.
And we have certainly had our share of carpetbaggers.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,152,023 times
[quote=Timberwolf232;8486498]

Quote:
and family ranches are going the way of the dodo because of economic problems caused by the "easy" attitude that seems to have root in your state.
TW - would you be so kind as to explain what you mean by this? Yes, I do know what the dodo was - but I am trying to understand the direct "cause & effect" with particular respect to family ranches. Where I have lived before - and to an extent where we live know - the main problem has been the children not wanting to stay preferring to seek their fame and fortune in the bright lights so the family farms and ranches, literally, die off.

Quote:
Everyone wants a good place to raise their kids... A HUGE problem here is with the kids. Californians are trying to move their kids to a better place, but don't realize that they are just bringing their problems here.
I was speaking to someone in Bozeman today and she made the comment - as the conversation got around to the subject quoted above, "sometimes you can take the kid out of the gang, but you can't take the gang out of the kid."

Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
Timberwolf232 wrote:
A lot of the resentment here in MT really is because of Californians
Resentment is resentment, no matter what you assign the cause of it to. Resentment festers inside of the person holding it, regardless of the cause. Resentment is the dis-ease of the one who holds it, rather than the one it is directed toward. If you want a better quality of life ( like more happiness and inner peace for example ), find a way to let go of the resentment.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,177,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
find a way to let go of the resentment.
[does away with all the invading Californians who bring CA ways with them]

Hey, it worked! No more resentment!!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
As long as your willingness to let go of resentment depends upon something happening that you have no control over, you're stuck with the resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana