Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM

989 posts, read 3,529,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeels2you View Post
Here's the new self-defense law that will scare all the Subaru's and Volvos out of town! Oh my god, you mean people in Montana can actually defend themselves? We need to RUN back to Los Angeles where we are safe!!!!

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/BillPdf/HB0228.pdf
Montana people are crazy. Guns? This is not 1876, folks! Custer had guns when he was over there on that hill, look how that turned out! If your life is in danger just call the police, thats what they are paid for!! In LA we know about guns, they are bad tools of the devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:03 PM

22 posts, read 38,744 times
haha thats funny.

LA has many illicit markets and entreprenuers that use guns to protect those markets. Are you saying MT has the same problems?? No "mexican mafia" here.lol

Its not about guns. It is about the future. Germany wasnt made overnight, but rather a series of lost liberties. Sound familiar?

I like to think Montanans are more responsible compared to some idiot kids running around a city like LA.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balljoint_ View Post
haha thats funny....

I like to think Montanans are more responsible compared to some idiot kids running around a city like LA.

I'm glad you saw the humor in it, I was joking-- Trying to get a rise.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,468,483 times
Default strange days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
It just blows me away... Some of those RV's are more like a hotel on wheels! Looking at the prices most of em cost more than my house!
No kidding-how do they afford it?
And why are the tent camper/back packer types viewed with suspicion because they enjoy nature without going into endless debt?

I have been accused of being an "elitist" because I actually enjoy the great outdoors without needing ATV's, RV's (although our little pop up camper is great) etc-and yes I do own several guns and love country music (George Jones is coming to Billings!!!)

Very strange here in the West these days-bigger and bigger toys,less time spent with nature and more with machines, even though the people profess a love of nature-in my neighborhood kids ride ATVs all the time, but to see a kid on a bike is pretty rare

thank goodness for the horse community-at least they get away from the noise and have connection to our wonderful land. IMO I think the West is getting soft as hell-

Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,179,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
No kidding-how do they afford it?
And why are the tent camper/back packer types viewed with suspicion because they enjoy nature without going into endless debt?

I have been accused of being an "elitist" because I actually enjoy the great outdoors without needing ATV's, RV's (although our little pop up camper is great) etc-and yes I do own several guns and love country music (George Jones is coming to Billings!!!)

Very strange here in the West these days-bigger and bigger toys,less time spent with nature and more with machines, even though the people profess a love of nature-in my neighborhood kids ride ATVs all the time, but to see a kid on a bike is pretty rare

thank goodness for the horse community-at least they get away from the noise and have connection to our wonderful land. IMO I think the West is getting soft as hell-
Those RVs cost $40k and up. If you travel a lot and use it as a substitute for hotels it can pay for itself in a hurry (I know someone who is saving $150/month just on hotel bills, even tho her RV payment is $500/mo.!), but I can't imagine buying one just to use two weeks a year! And going out to the woods just to sit and watch TV in your fancy camper... what's the point??

I travel fairly minimally myself, even when the object isn't to go camping. I think it's perfectly normal to sleep in my truck, or under the tailgate. In my old age I got fancy and invested in a camp bed to keep my old bones off the rocks, but that's as fancy as I get. I've got a nice little trailer (well, it was nice when it was new, in 1969!) but it's not worth the bother for the average overnight jaunt, and its idea of "hi-tech" is that it has DC lights and some previous owner installed a radio.

I sure agree about the bicycles, and people in general getting soft. Used to be every kid got around on a bike, even if the destination was miles away, and it was normal and expected. Now mommy drives them (because omighod the bogeyman might get them), or have their own car the day the state will give 'em a license. You can see what the lack of real exercise and the "heathy eating" fad is doing to kids these days... I've seen kindergarten kids over 100 lbs. How is that good for our future??

In another generation, we may not have many real horsemen left either.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,383,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeels2you View Post
..... Here in VT they are identified easily as aging boomers with whimsical hats, "eclectic" clothing, kind of dressed down but with birkenstocks, Northface jackets and expensive watches. They mostly drive Subaru's and Volvos with Thule ski racks, and sip Latte with their laptops at the local cafe. .....
I am confused. Will someone explain to me why a Suburu is a yuppie car? I understand that Volvos and Audis are considered "yuppie" based upon their cost. However, Suburus are relatively inexpensive, get good mileage, handle well in snow, and seem utilitarian. Also, everytime I am in Montana it seems that half of the fleet of rental car companies are Suburus.

PS I don't drive a Suburu. However, my wife does have a 1997 Volvo wagon with 193,000 miles on it that she hauls our three hunting dogs in.
After a day retrieving ducks in scummy ponds, it smells more like a "yucky" car than a "yuppie" car.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:37 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,013,258 times
GLS wrote:
I am confused. Will someone explain to me why a Suburu is a yuppie car?
I think it is just a feeble attempt at yet another putdown of anyone who acts outside the box of the way it has always been. You oughta know by now, that the way it's always been is Gods will.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,172,212 times
A car is a car... A way to get around. We were just joking around about how in the last 10 years in some places it seems like every other car is a subie wagon with a thule rack on it.

It wasn't a put down, just an observation.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,179,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I am confused. Will someone explain to me why a Suburu is a yuppie car? I understand that Volvos and Audis are considered "yuppie" based upon their cost. However, Suburus are relatively inexpensive, get good mileage, handle well in snow, and seem utilitarian. Also, everytime I am in Montana it seems that half of the fleet of rental car companies are Suburus.

PS I don't drive a Suburu. However, my wife does have a 1997 Volvo wagon with 193,000 miles on it that she hauls our three hunting dogs in.
After a day retrieving ducks in scummy ponds, it smells more like a "yucky" car than a "yuppie" car.
A friend got a used 4WD Subaru wagon for winter and to save the cost of running her big dually pickup -- silly to use that for commuting if you don't have to! She also uses the Subaru to haul dogs around so I'm sure by now it smells like a kennel It's been almost entirely maintenance-free (one fuel line repair in 6 or 7 years she's had it, and if I remember right it's a 1991 model!) which can't be a bad thing... that rivals my old Ford pickup for durable.

Gave me the thought that I should find me an old Subaru for the same purpose -- and I can tell you for truth that I wouldn't trust my tenant driving in winter in anything but a 4WD; otherwise I'd spend all my time rescuing her from the ditch.

I suppose Subarus used to be yuppie vehicles but they've long since been downgraded to merely utilitarian. Those Scions are kinda the same -- if you need a small car with a LOT of headroom and cargo capacity, they're ideal (especially the early models). A friend got one for that very reason, and you would not believe how much space is inside such a little box. I think they may be a sort of Tardis.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I sure agree about the bicycles, and people in general getting soft. Used to be every kid got around on a bike, even if the destination was miles away, and it was normal and expected.
That is the truth! I never had a very good bike but I used what we had to get everywhere I needed to go. If I would have asked for a ride the parents would have asked' "what's wrong with your legs?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana