Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,090,920 times

Advertisements

Doesn't look like it, for at least the next week or so. Something I have never seen on the weather channel before, they put up a warning box that said "unusually hot today, record heat expected".... Even my sweat is sweating! On the up side it will ripen the huck crop quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 11:16 AM

962 posts, read 2,513,521 times
Having visited Montana in the 80's/90's(mil.and vac.), I occasionally look in here. Obviously, a lot has changed since I was last there. Being an UPSTATE/RURAL (yes, there is a rural NY) resident, we have see an out-migration for ~.10 years-mostly to NC and FL. Maybe..just maybe...it's got a positive side. Places I've hunted, fished, backpacked, rode horses 20 yrs ago..well..are still there. Our county has had a net/pop/+ of 300 in 15yrs.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,181 times
Wink people like you,,,what,,that is lame

It really saddens me when i see two or more people talking,,,,making some sense and then a remark come,,,,PEOPLE LIKE YOU,,,,that is not right and you both know it,,,in fact it was childish,,,,so you both got made at each other and start throwing crap back and forth to each other,,,,i am sorry,,,but to me that is so rude,,,,,in fact it can be as a racial slur,,,think about it,,,,that is not cool,,,,,anyone should be able to be where they want,,,,yes place get bigger,,,and you can complain about it,,,,but when you lose control of yourself and do the slur,,,,,not good,,,,,in fact LAME AND CHILDISH,,,NOT TRYING TO HURT FEELING JUST STATEING,,,THANK YOU AND I AM FROM MONTAN,,BUT LEAVE ELSEWHERE

Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 45,789 times
im not from montana but from atlantic city new jersey, about as different as you can get from montana. but i must agree with the anger they have to these people moving from california or wherever and changing it for the worse.

cali is the land of fruits and nuts. many are progressives who hate devout Chrsitians and force the gay lifestyle on everyone. look at what a mess they made of their state--full of illegal immigrant gangs and out of sight home prices. why in the world would you want them in your state. they'll turn it into some yuppie-hippie paradise full of bistros and toyota hybrids.

west coast values of self reliance and responsibility are a thing of the past. now it's all about self esteem, self fulfillment and self centeredness.

Last edited by Dr.VanNostrum; 07-15-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 50,239 times
Jenezbel We to are going to relocate to Montana following my Father who relocated to libby last fall. I understand your concerns with rising prices. That is a major problem in most states. We are in sacramento california and have gotten to the point that we no longer can support our family with inflation. My husband makes a good living but not for cal. The things that made decide on Montana is the nature, I want to get back to basic famliy balues that seem to get lost in the bustle of california living. My husband and I are simple people that want to provide for our family , beable to take the time to enjoy life. We don't have that any longer.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:56 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,579,746 times
Considering that the State of California is home to 33 million people, you're making an amazing generalization. Not everyone is a "fruit" or a "nut", as you so charmingly have called us. Illegal immigration is a national problem, as anyone living in the United States in any of the 50 states can attest to. When I first read your post below, I got angry, but such emotion is a waste of time. Have you ever visited California, sir? Where are you getting your information from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.VanNostrum View Post
im not from montana but from atlantic city new jersey, about as different as you can get from montana. but i must agree with the anger they have to these people moving from california or wherever and changing it for the worse.

cali is the land of fruits and nuts. many are progressives who hate devout Chrsitians and force the gay lifestyle on everyone. look at what a mess they made of their state--full of illegal immigrant gangs and out of sight home prices. why in the world would you want them in your state. they'll turn it into some yuppie-hippie paradise full of bistros and toyota hybrids.

west coast values of self reliance and responsibility are a thing of the past. now it's all about self esteem, self fulfillment and self centeredness.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM

121 posts, read 392,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc95628 View Post
Jenezbel We to are going to relocate to Montana following my Father who relocated to libby last fall. I understand your concerns with rising prices. That is a major problem in most states. We are in sacramento california and have gotten to the point that we no longer can support our family with inflation. My husband makes a good living but not for cal. The things that made decide on Montana is the nature, I want to get back to basic famliy balues that seem to get lost in the bustle of california living. My husband and I are simple people that want to provide for our family , beable to take the time to enjoy life. We don't have that any longer.
You are right in saying the prices are rising everywhere.

The thing about Montana is that the prices aren't just rising as they are everywhere, they are being artificial inflated by those coming from states whose economies are quite different than ours. They come here and think nothing of plunking down a huge chunk of change for land or a house, much more than many of us that have been working here in Montana's economy for years can afford.

Montana has consistently ranked at or near the bottom of the states as far as average wages. The most recent ranking, I believe placed us next to last. We have actually lost ground on this since 1980--when Montana's average wages were 90% of the national average wage the most recent figures I've seen (2003-2004)--our average wage was only 75% of the national average wage.

The resentment comes in when someone whose entire life was spent here can't buy a home because they've lived with these low wages all along and their town's housing prices have been inflated beyond normal market value compared to available wages by those coming in with money.

I understand what you are saying but disagree with your method. I don't think the answer is to move because it just brings the problem to the next place. If you really want change--change begins at home. If everyone thinks like you--you will l have a only few good years--maybe--before wherever you move to is just as expensive or not family friendly or whatever. I've seen it happen in several parts of Montana already.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM

121 posts, read 392,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
What lewisia rediviva expounded on kinda made some sense to me. I live in a rural area in Va. , I am seeing open farm land similar to what LR mentioned being broken up. Some one will built a home on 5 acre lot,immediately preventing access to the farmland behind that home.

Now they are talking about building a Wally World about 9 miles from my home in a rural area. I am beginning to think Vermont is the only state with any guts .................... everyone succumbing to $$$$$$$$$$
That is so sad about your area!

I think Vermont does have the right idea and I think it might stem from the fact that Vermont residents have valued and retained the history and tradition of strong community. For example, look at the town meeting tradition that still survives in Vermont communities. So many other areas have lost their sense of community and when that begins to happen, I think that's when we see the corporations pushing their way in with big box stores and growth that doesn't take into account the character and history of the region.

It saddens me to see increasing homogeneity of culture across the country through more and more chain stores and restaurants etc.; every city and town looking the same. It is more enjoyable, to visit or live in areas that retain their character and thus are more culturally vibrant.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 47,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc95628 View Post
The things that made decide on Montana is the nature, I want to get back to basic famliy balues that seem to get lost in the bustle of california living.
A fantastic thought. There are plenty of places where you can do that - Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming would be great alternatives.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,090,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsteve View Post
A fantastic thought. There are plenty of places where you can do that - Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming would be great alternatives.
Colesteve,
The multiple posts in every thread telling people to go to those other states seems like rather transparent attempt to tell people to stay out, just in a backhanded way.
If there are reasons and ideas of why someone should consider someplace else please state them and not just the same lines over and over.
Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana