Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 AM

31 posts, read 51,220 times

Advertisements

I can see both sides of the coin here. Im an "outsider" in every sense of the word. East coast accent, Ukrainian wife.

We originally chose Cut Bank MT for its proximity to our ultimate destination, Calgary Alberta. We hated Cut Bank, and Cut Bank hated us.

After a year of sorting ourselves out, we recently moved to Kalispell. After only a month or so we are stunned at how easy things have been for us here.

Now, for those that are planning to relocate to Montana, a some advice.

Avoid small towns!

Due to a myriad of reasons, (general breakdown of the American family, poor economy, bad government from top to bottom, drug use, corruption, etc etc) those places with less then 10,000 people are not just "less desirable".

They are filled with sociopaths that WILL do anything and everything they can do DESTROY you. Not destroy as in a playground steal your lunch manner, but wreck your marriage, put you in jail on trumped up charges, then steal all your stuff kinda destroy. Thats just for starters.

You see, there is a disease coursing through the veins of the American culture. Come to a small Montana town and you will see it up close and personal.

Thats the bad news. Heres the good news.

There are some areas where there is an influx of fresh blood. Critical mass is achived when the fresh blood outnumbers the entrenched "Boss Hog" type OLD blood. Two towns come to mind, Kalispell and Billings. Dont know much about Missoula or Great Falls but if population is any indicator, they should be a safe bet.

As a final note, if you want to know what Cut Bank MT is truly like, go rent the movie Deliverance (1972). When the movie is over, you will know the exact personality traits of the denizens that infest the small towns of rural MT.

Fair warning, lord strike that poor boy down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM

47 posts, read 202,925 times
Gulskjegg, your <mod cut> attitude is part of the problem, not the solution.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 07-23-2007 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Personal Attack Deleted

Old 07-19-2007, 03:29 PM

68 posts, read 240,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
Many people move to Montana because of the nature all around us, yet once they are here, they want all of the conveniences they left behind. They move into the forest and then they want their roads paved or plowed, they want to see grizzly bears so they moved into their habitat, only to complain if the bear eats their dog, etc.

Long time residents have had to sell property that has been in their families for generations because the family can no longer afford the property taxes. Out-of-staters have inflated the property values and therefore, the taxes. In addition, some famous people move here and act like they are better than anyone else. They don't try to fit in and are clueless about being a good neighbor. Like Mary Hart and Burt Sugarman who bought a parcel of land next to state land in Whitefish and then wanted the @ 50 acre parcel of state land (which was open for public use) fenced to give them more privacy. They managed to lease it from the state by outbidding a logging contractor. I haven't heard if they've fenced it off. How would you feel if you were a Whitefish native accustomed to accessing that piece of state land all of your life only to be locked out of it? I could go on and on with similar situations that have happened here. Incidents like this are what make Montanans resent newcomers.It isn't just the wealthy either; the wealthy just have the means to make a bigger impact.

I am not saying all newcomers are all bad. David Letterman bought a ranch here and he appears to be a good neighbor so far. But he hasn't come in with a haughty attitude and tried to change things either.

People who grew up here and people that moved here before it was "discovered" accepted a certain lifestyle to be here, and it generally didn't include all the amenities of suburban life. Unfortunately, this is no longer true. It sickens me every day to see this change.
i would like to say something for the first time on this site. i totally understand where you are coming from... i too feel that we here in cali have lost what we once had. i am only 30 and now cannot own a house here. the prices are way too high unless i want to put my kids in daycare. there was once a time where anyone could buy a house. and live the "american dream". not any more. not for me. so i want to leave Cali to find a place where i can own a house, and raise my children to live happy lives. so that they too can afford to live happy when they grow up. with the rate we are going in kids wont be able to afford to leave the house. something has to be done about this bs.

we are wanting to move to Lakeside Mt. we are hoping that we will make new friends and not be hated cause we are from Cali. its going to be very hard to leave the only family we have and the only friends that we have. but we feel that it might be worth the sacrafice to own a house and not go paycheck to paycheck.

Last edited by JustAGoodPerson; 07-19-2007 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 PM

12 posts, read 50,143 times
I think ignorance comes on the part that people will treat each other badly because of tha state. How many of you have actually been to california. I live in Northern cal. and hate the changes also. Have you seen cal forclouser rates. My husband and I live with family member because we can not even afford rent. Try raising your family in that condition. I'm a good person with good morals. I'm kind and compasionate and don't get your attudies unknowing what conditions trully are.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc95628 View Post
I think ignorance comes on the part that people will treat each other badly because of tha state. How many of you have actually been to california. I live in Northern cal. and hate the changes also. Have you seen cal forclouser rates. My husband and I live with family member because we can not even afford rent. Try raising your family in that condition. I'm a good person with good morals. I'm kind and compasionate and don't get your attudies unknowing what conditions trully are.
Once again, you are trying to defend his generalization with a generalization of your own.

The people in MT who have true spite towards out-of-staters make up a very small portion of the population. And yes, there are people here who live in extreme poverty as well.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbmontana View Post
Once again, you are trying to defend his generalization with a generalization of your own.

The people in MT who have true spite towards out-of-staters make up a very small portion of the population. And yes, there are people here who live in extreme poverty as well.
Well we won't out of it and will be able to in a place were the cost of living is much cheaper then california. Your right I'M sorry for doing that. But doesn't matter change comes evrywhere that U FED GOV.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:27 PM

The cost of living and income will vary depending on where you want to live in the state. You might want to check out Spokane, WA. That's probably your best bet for decent wages, low cost of living, and a decent lifestyle.

What line of work are you in?

Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM

I stay home with the kids. My husband is in the automotive business. The coat of daycare is usuall what I make and doesn't make sense to work to put my kids in daycare. We don't care for washington and to far from my dad. Kaispell area is only 1 1/2 hours more reasonable.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,818,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc95628 View Post
I stay home with the kids. My husband is in the automotive business. The coat of daycare is usuall what I make and doesn't make sense to work to put my kids in daycare. We don't care for washington and to far from my dad. Kaispell area is only 1 1/2 hours more reasonable.
well i for one commend you on staying home with your kids,good for you!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:50 PM

68 posts, read 240,524 times
ya, we stay at home moms are the ones who are going in reverse here in cali. we are going into debt each day we are at home. yet to leave our kids with another person just to live here isnt right at all. so we want to leave cali....

but it does come out loud and clear with all of the anti cali comments on this forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana