Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM

495 posts, read 492,960 times

Advertisements

jimj wrote:
Quote:
Please, save yourself some aggrivation and blood pressure and realize the "old days" are gone and while this never looks good to those that have to watch it happen you do still have a choice whether you want to stay and watch or go somewhere else (and cause growth).....
"old days" are gone - no kidding, put I don't think that's the point, The point is that it's the "new days" that are getting screwed up.
And be real - not many people really have a choice about where they live, many of use are tied to our families and jobs, I guess you could just sell the old home place or farm and leave, but be real. You gotta a choice too, don't forget - go back to where you came from !
If like you saw we have to accept the inevitable (change) we'll I guess the people that are moving here have to accept the inevitable too, and that is that many montanans are 'changing', changing their attitudes about people moving here and disrupting their towns and ways of life.....So suck it up you new comers and except the fact that we montanas are changing and we don't particularly appreciate your kind anymore, or your box stores, housing developments, foo-foo coffee shops, city-slicker fishing guides, and all the other havoc you've been reeking on us......hey that's change for you, learn to like it and don't complain if we ain't so very welcoming anymore.....
Actually, what you people really mean when you say "accept change" is "we want to make a lot of money screwing up your place shoving in all manner of trashing developement"........then you try to make us look like idiots by say absurd things like...."Accept Change"........But I think we're seeing past you on that one....so find a new drum to beat....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 05:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
JoeJoeman,
Where I grew up there was nothing but orchards and some houses. There were no 4 lane highways, no mega marts, no huge stores and several produce stands next to the road. Traffic was nil, the air was clean etc. Sounds like a pretty good place right? That place was close to San Jose CA Now that was only 38 years ago. Now, traffic everywhere, smog, no fruit trees and nothing but people. We moved way north, huge redwood and oak trees, no big highways,small town with just a 2 lane freeway running through it with dairy farms everywhere. That was 13 years ago. Now, huge freeway, very few dairy farms,now mostly Mcvinyards,hightech and houses and people and tourists and smog. McMansions everywhere and houses that started at 110k are now 800k. Since we are going down the "you people" road, your people came from somewhere else as well. I agree it is sad that the "old times" are disappearing but again you have a better chance of stopping the wind than stopping change. Rather than work myself into a lather or get my knickers in a bunch I think that time is better served by trying to manage what I have control of and maybe being part of the voice of direction in how this growth happens. I know, confrontation goes against the "Montana code" but if you feel that strongly against all of this developement get involved with the process instead of trying to pick on and demean the people who are taking advantage of their rights granted to people who live in the USA and who are doing what the settlers (your forefathers) that came before them did. As for the news flash "So suck it up you new comers and except the fact that we montanas are changing and we don't particularly appreciate your kind anymore" be real, you never did! It amazes me how many people move here, are here for a few years and become "we Montanans". Exactly when were you (or anyone else) granted supream rights over the land here? Was it when "you people" took it from the natives? Please, save yourself from an ulcer or stroke and focus on something you can change......

Last edited by jimj; 05-31-2007 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: had another thought

Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 AM

121 posts, read 391,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
... Recently those same "locals", those that have owned land for generations have been at least partly responsible for the growth. Yes, these venerable Montanans have cashed in and sold thier big farms to delvelopers (making BIG bucks) allowing these places to be built. They saw MONEY and took it!
Many of those same locals have had to sell because they can't afford to keep their land in the family anymore because of increased property taxes, for one.

Quote:
I can think of at least 5 places right off the top of my head in this state where that is the case. Take Phillipsburg for example. Surrounded by forest service, way away from anything and very rural. Heck, you can still go up the north fork and be in another world!
Well I would if I could but, guess what, I can't afford Phillipsburg anymore either. Cheapest house in Phillipsburg right now is $150,000 (fixer upper) and there are NO jobs.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 AM

121 posts, read 391,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I know, confrontation goes against the "Montana code" but if you feel that strongly against all of this developement get involved with the process instead of trying to pick on and demean the people ...
Well excuse me but getting involved in the process is what I have been doing for years and it ain't working.

You didn't just accept the change in your areas, your solution was to move each and every time. You didn't have the courage to stand up against change, but I do. I am not afraid to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough, we don't want a Montafornia!!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
Many of those same locals have had to sell because they can't afford to keep their land in the family anymore because of increased property taxes, for one.

Well I would if I could but, guess what, I can't afford Phillipsburg anymore either. Cheapest house in Phillipsburg right now is $150,000 (fixer upper) and there are NO jobs.
My point exactly, no jobs because there is no growth!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
Well excuse me but getting involved in the process is what I have been doing for years and it ain't working.

You didn't just accept the change in your areas, your solution was to move each and every time. You didn't have the courage to stand up against change, but I do. I am not afraid to draw a line in
the sand and say enough is enough, we don't want a Montafornia!!
Actually, had I been older and wiser when the changing was happening I probably would have tried to help steer the change, but being young and dumb leaving was the best option. It is hard to steer change when you are a child don't you think? Also, it is getting old hearing everyone from CA stereotyped. Just like it gets old hearing the "locals" stereotyped as no teeth deliverance types or all being white supremacists or militia members.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 AM

79 posts, read 262,270 times
The place next to us is for sale right now and i could care less if a Florida, California or green men from Mars buy it as long and they Dont Shoot Guns all day!!! What i would give for some nice friendly respectful neighbors.( the past three have been Montana natives) We also have powerlines across our land posted and posted again NO Trespassing .These guys come in on their dirtbikes and 4wheelers and tear down the signs and tear up our land..Some of these Montana natives are not so polite either.Im just saying............................................ ...

Edited to say Montana native here before anyone yells at me for buying land and posting no trespassing signs and ruining there recreation hahahha How dare we! haha

Old 05-31-2007, 12:58 PM

495 posts, read 492,960 times
Jimj wrote:
Quote:
It amazes me how many people move here, are here for a few years and become "we Montanans". ......
I couldn't of said it better myself !

You sound like the kinda guys that lives somewhere, gets everything they can out of it, then when it turns into a mess you head for greener pasturs and leave the rest to clean up the mess, then when the **** starts hitting the fan in your new location you do the same thing and head to montana, what's called....cut and run or is it take the money and run........

What's funny about the 'accept change" crowd, is how they have no problem dropping in all the developments, cashing in on the 'growth', and pretty much trashing the place in the process AND THEN they wanna go find some nice quite vacation home somewhere like Montana.

Sorry I don't accept growth, I think it's just a sad aspect of our current economy - were 'growth' has become the economy, creates jobs etc....if you are anything smarter than a monkey you have to be asking yourself...what kind of economy is it if it needs to rely on growth for the simple sake of growth - our basic economy is.....build a housing development - import people - give them jobs building more housing development - import more people - give them jobs building more houses and box stores....what's wrong with that picture.
I learned along time ago that there are two kinds of people - the kind that throw all the sh*t in the river and say "hey that's progre$$", this is your current day "growth - accept change crowd, as per you mr jimj, and the there is the other kind of person who see your wanton manner as reprehensible.
And no I won't ever learn to accept because it's inevitable no more than I would accept rape because it's inevitable.
You my friend seem however to be perfectly happy, to accept bad behavior for as long as you can make a buck and then be able to run away from it when you feel the time is right.
I think the whole 'accept change' crowd should accept change and start by doing something different and that is STAY WHERE YOU ARE, do me a favor - crap where you live and stay there, we don't need anymore crap up here and we don't need your 'growth' jobs either, never needed 'em before, don't need 'em now !

Last edited by JoeJoeMan; 05-31-2007 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Jimj wrote:

I couldn't of said it better myself !

You sound like the kinda guys that lives somewhere, gets everything they can out of it, then when it turns into a mess you head for greener pasturs and leave the rest to clean up the mess, then when the **** starts hitting the fan in your new location you do the same thing and head to montana, what's called....cut and run or is it take the money and run........

What's funny about the 'accept change" crowd, is how they have no problem dropping in all the developments, cashing in on the 'growth', and pretty much trashing the place in the process AND THEN they wanna go find some nice quite vacation home somewhere like Montana.

Sorry I don't accept growth, I think it's just a sad aspect of our current economy - were 'growth' has become the economy, creates jobs etc....if you are anything smarter than a monkey you have to be asking yourself...what kind of economy is it if it needs to rely on growth for the simple sake of growth - our basic economy is.....build a housing development - import people - give them jobs building more housing development - import more people - give them jobs building more houses and box stores....what's wrong with that picture.
I learned along time ago that there are two kinds of people - the kind that throw all the sh*t in the river and say "hey that's progre$$", this is your current day "growth - accept change crowd, as per you mr jimj, and the there is the other kind of person who see your wanton manner as reprehensible.
And no I won't ever learn to accept because it's inevitable no more than I would accept rape because it's inevitable.
You my friend seem however to be perfectly happy, to accept bad behavior for as long as you can make a buck and then be able to run away from it when you feel the time is right.
I think the whole 'accept change' crowd should accept change and start by doing something different and that is STAY WHERE YOU ARE, do me a favor - crap where you live and stay there, we don't need anymore crap up here and we don't need your 'growth' jobs either, never needed 'em before, don't need 'em now !

Great perspective.

Adapt or die.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 14,069 times
Growth is going to happen, unless something reduces the population dramatically its going to keep happening. Between new babies being born and bunches of people coming across our borders growth is happening.

You are not happy now, just wait a few years as the baby boomers start retiring in huge numbers. Many of them are looking for that inexpensive paradise to move to "The West". I don't know how you plan to stop them. As long as there is property for sale they can come. As long as someone has money to offer there will be property to buy.

Its not pretty and its not nice but its happening. You can either accept it and live with it or move to some where it hasn't reached yet, that's the choices as I see them.

Calling people names and blaming people may make you feel better but it won't change the outcome.

I wish I had a solution but I don't see one. If you have one I'm glad to listen.

Pckinco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana