Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I love the Monterey area more than anywhere on earth. So you know I'm not just trying to put the area down when I say the Monterey Aquarium is overrated.......
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very enjoyable for both locals and visitors. Living in the area we get free passes and our kids never tire of visiting the many exhibits and the overall experience.

That said like other types of animal parks there are quite a few aquariums nationwide. I visited a handfull and Monterey ranks pretty high up toward the top compared to the ones I visited. One reason for this I think is that MBA sits in the Monterey Bay which itself is a Marine Life Santuary.

Here is a pretty cool list which compares aquariums worldwide: Best Aquariums & Sea Life Centers. Compare, reviews & ratings.. While there may be bigger, better aquariums I doubt there are many others in such a beautiful area as Big Sur and Monterey.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very enjoyable for both locals and visitors. Living in the area we get free passes and our kids never tire of visiting the many exhibits and the overall experience.

That said like other types of animal parks there are quite a few aquariums nationwide. I visited a handfull and Monterey ranks pretty high up toward the top compared to the ones I visited. One reason for this I think is that MBA sits in the Monterey Bay which itself is a Marine Life Santuary.

Here is a pretty cool list which compares aquariums worldwide: Best Aquariums & Sea Life Centers. Compare, reviews & ratings.. While there may be bigger, better aquariums I doubt there are many others in such a beautiful area as Big Sur and Monterey.

Derek

Alright Derek, since your a local, I'll try to get your opinion on this. I'm not really too politicial, don't claim a party. I think the enviroment is important for sure. That being said, I found there new (or what's new to me) global warming wing totally radically left and preachy, really turned me off.

Besides that, it is a great place for kids, but for me, I think it's very pricey and I would rather see Monterey outside of the aquarium than pay that much to go in there.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Alright Derek, since your a local, I'll try to get your opinion on this. I'm not really too politicial, don't claim a party. I think the enviroment is important for sure. That being said, I found there new (or what's new to me) global warming wing totally radically left and preachy, really turned me off.

Besides that, it is a great place for kids, but for me, I think it's very pricey and I would rather see Monterey outside of the aquarium than pay that much to go in there.
I guess I have pretty thick skin when it comes to all that global warming stuff. I just take it with a grain of salt.

Regarding the price I think it is worth it if visiting the area, especially for the first time. Or if one hasn't seen some of the newer exhibits it is fun. For locals we get in free, so cost is a non-issue.

I agree that seeing the natural beauty of the area is really the highlight. This weekend was no exception for us. We visiting Point Lobos and watching whales migrating south. Then today we spent time at our favorite beach (Asilomar), walking along the boardwalk into Spanish Bay and hanging out at the beach. It was a glorious weekend for getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

Here are a few from this weekend:

http://landandseaphoto.smugmug.com/Seascapes/Point-Lobos/15Jan112924A/1158023889_VGjvT-L.jpg (broken link)

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-17-2011 at 11:36 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Great pics again, Derek!

If you visit the aquarium from out of town and are eligible, make sure to bring your student ID to save a couple of dollars off the admission price.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I guess I have pretty thick skin when it comes to all that global warming stuff. I just take it with a grain of salt.

Regarding the price I think it is worth it if visiting the area, especially for the first time. Or if one hasn't seen some of the newer exhibits it is fun. For locals we get in free, so cost is a non-issue.

I agree that seeing the natural beauty of the area is really the highlight. This weekend was no exception for us. We visiting Point Lobos and watching whales migrating south. Then today we spent time at our favorite beach (Asilomar), walking along the boardwalk into Spanish Bay and hanging out at the beach. It was a glorious weekend for getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

Here are a few from this weekend:

Derek
Nice pics, I was down at Pacific Grove golf course this weekend, can't beat that back 9 for $37........

Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in the vicinity of the Aquarium that would be less than , says, $120 a night? We're thinking of having a family reunion in the Monterey area.before summer. Thanks in advance!.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in the vicinity of the Aquarium that would be less than , says, $120 a night? We're thinking of having a family reunion in the Monterey area.before summer. Thanks in advance!.
Take a look at this thread here discussing some various options. //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...marina-ca.html

The price varies greatly depending on the time of the year and which events are going on. We have the Pebble Beach ProAm coming up for example in February. So prices jump up that weekend. Go here to see some main events: Monterey, CA Official Tourism Information - Monterey County, Big Sur, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Pacific Grove.

Keep in mind that Summer is prime season and also foggy season. Spring and Fall are gorgeous. even Winter is an excellent time to visit Monterey. Right now we are having an Indian Summer (warmer winter days).

So try to avoid summer and major events. Then you'll find both better rates and less crouds to deal with. Once you target the dates then you can search for the best rates. Otherwise rates can vary sometimes double and triple an otherwise off season/event rate.

Derek

Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Thanks, Derek. Good links! Tried to rep you but can't. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County