Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 40,304 times

Advertisements

I just spent the last few days in Carmel researching areas to relocate. Loved it but not sure about constant fog. Everyone tells me I should look for the sun belts or micro climates? Do I have to go out into the Valley or are their some North or South of Carmel proper? We'd have kids in elementary, middle and high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamteam6 View Post
I just spent the last few days in Carmel researching areas to relocate. Loved it but not sure about constant fog. Everyone tells me I should look for the sun belts or micro climates? Do I have to go out into the Valley or are their some North or South of Carmel proper? We'd have kids in elementary, middle and high school.
I lived in WA state a total of 18 years. One place I lived was just up the river on the WA side from Hood River, OR, so I know the weather in Portland.

Even the foggy areas of the coast here are nothing like the depressing weather in the PNW. So, keep in mind, you are hearing from people who complain when they have to put on a light jacket because they are freezing because it's only 65 degrees outside

I do know a young woman who moved to Pacific Grove from Portland, and she does complain about the foggy days there. Marina is supposed to also get foggier than Monterey.

If you want to avoid the coastal fog, though, all you have to do is go inland a bit. But, in Monterey County, I think that will move you away from good schools, unfortunately.

However, Santa Clara may be a good option for you, if 30 mins to the beach is good enough. You can live in a sunnier place, and go to the beach on sunny weekends.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 PM

57 posts, read 214,744 times
Quote:
If you want sun in the Carmel area, look at Carmel Valley. Carmel Valley is a part of the Carmel Unified School District, which has some of the best schools in the area.

Another area with sun is Corral de Tierra, half way between Monterey and Salinas. I used to live in that area and loved it! The area is served by the Washington Elementary School District, which has two elementary schools and one middle school which are of the same quality as Carmel. However, for high school, it's part of the Salinas Union High School District, so the kids go to Salinas High. Salinas High isn't a terrible school, but it's not a great school either.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM

I need a top notch high school or we'll have to pay for private. My oldest is 9th grade and tests off the charts. He needs honors courses, rocket clubs, AP etc. My middle son is 6th grade with some dyslexia then I have twins in kindergarten. Such a range of needs. Thanks for the input on the fog vs drizzle of Portland. I've been in Charlotte for 3 years now and feel like a refugee from a rain ravaged country. We're still amazed it can be sunny so often and don't want to lose that but I have to get of the south.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
I need a top notch high school or we'll have to pay for private. My oldest is 9th grade and tests off the charts. He needs honors courses, rocket clubs, AP etc. My middle son is 6th grade with some dyslexia then I have twins in kindergarten. Such a range of needs. Thanks for the input on the fog vs drizzle of Portland. I've been in Charlotte for 3 years now and feel like a refugee from a rain ravaged country. We're still amazed it can be sunny so often and don't want to lose that but I have to get of the south.
Wow. I just looked up Carmel High School and it's really highly ranked. Also looks very....white... lol! Very unusual for California.

I understand needing to get out of the south. I'm from CA, lived in the PNW and moved to TN for 5 years. There's a lot I love about the south, but I never felt completely at home.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM

There's a lot to like about the South but like you said it's not home. We just don't think alike. Charlotte has what I call the "commuter circle" with a lot of transplants but if you get outside of that it feels very redneck very fast. I feel like I'm in the closet as a bleeding heart liberal. In 3 years I've only met one openly gay person. I was so excited to meet him I think I freaked him out. Even though there's a lot more racial diversity it's still quite self segregated much to our dismay. I have 1 black friend.

I talked to a friend who lived in Monterey for a couple years and she advised me to look in Carmel Valley or Hwy 68. Lots more research to do. We can't move til the school year is over. Maybe I'll win the lottery by then too.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Yes, everything your describing matches Carmel Valley. There is no real sunbelt in Carmel Valley like there is along the Monterey Coast near the airport. see this thread describing Monterey's Sunbelt with photos I took demonstrating it. //www.city-data.com/forum/monte...y-sunbelt.html

Instead you simply drive inland a few miles and out of the fog. Keep in mind the fog you experienced hugs the coast, not the rest of the area. Driving HWY 1 this can easily be observed when looking inland and seeing blue sky near Toro Park. I see this frequently when driving home from work during the Summer. Personally I prefer living closer to the coast and living with some Summer fog since the rest of the year is great. It allows to enjoy views like this recent 'Summer' sunset:

Derek

Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 PM

70 posts, read 149,393 times
Quote:
In CUSD, yes, you will have to be in the valley. I've found that generally the fog-line is right about where quail-lodge is on a typical summer day. The further you go in, the more sun and the more heat.

Keep in mind that fog is greatly a summer phenomenon. It starts to get better in September, mostly gone by late October, and just a handful of days in winter and spring until it creeps back in June. Here's a good weather statistic on this:

MONTEREY PENINSULA, CA--WEATHER STATISTICS BASED ON PERIOD OF RECORD JULY 1951 THRU DECEMBER 2004 (see 'Days of fog') to give a general idea of the seasonal change.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Also it's important to note that there are some really nice homes above the valley off of Laureles Grade for example which are apart of CUSD. Here's a general map showing the district:

Old 09-13-2013, 07:45 AM

You guys are awesome. Thanks! The weather stats are helpful. I was worried about the cool days I was there but I did get out thru the valley to experience rather hot sun as well. We tend to travel and visit family in the summer so if we need heat, we can find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County