Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,402 times

Advertisements

I too worked at the Briar House in the mid to later 70s. The chef then was Joe, but I can't remember his last name. Would he have been the chef when you were there? John Muench (sp) was the owner. I was part of the last crew to work there under the name Briar House. It sold twice while I was there and the last (and I believe current owners, Anton and Michele's) didn't keep any of the employees on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
Does any one remember a resturant in seaside called the El Sombrero ????i think it was in the 70s

Old 03-16-2016, 10:10 AM

235 posts, read 405,470 times
Yes we ate there a lot. Reasonably priced Mexican food, a major step up from Jack-in-the-Box.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:01 PM

183 posts, read 254,325 times
There was another Mexican restaurant in Seaside (during the 70's) that I loved, but can't remember the name of it. It was near TV Mart (or whatever the name of the place was where you could buy TVs and other appliances at low prices) and it was more fast-foody than sit-down and have your order taken. Anyone remember?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
To the guy that mentioned Capones warehouse, I was stationed at Fort Ord in 1971 who loved just going to Monterey it was almost abandoned completely but there was really cool Head shop pretty close to docs laboratory. In the evening we always went to Capone's I do remember walking through a phone booth in order to enter the building then when you walked there were cute young girls in hot pants called the untouchables. I recall there was a Dixieland band playing but the highlight of that band was a beautiful blonde young lady who sang her heart out. I read about her years later that she ended up living in San Jose where she committed suicide. I live in Southern California but I try to go to Monterey at least once or twice a year and no matter who I ask about the Capones no one so far has ever heard of it. Too bad it was tons of fun

Old 07-01-2017, 12:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marenas51 View Post
To the guy that mentioned Capones warehouse, I was stationed at Fort Ord in 1971 who loved just going to Monterey it was almost abandoned completely but there was really cool Head shop pretty close to docs laboratory. In the evening we always went to Capone's I do remember walking through a phone booth in order to enter the building then when you walked there were cute young girls in hot pants called the untouchables. I recall there was a Dixieland band playing but the highlight of that band was a beautiful blonde young lady who sang her heart out. I read about her years later that she ended up living in San Jose where she committed suicide. I live in Southern California but I try to go to Monterey at least once or twice a year and no matter who I ask about the Capones no one so far has ever heard of it. Too bad it was tons of fun
Dad got stationed to Fort Ord. We lived in housing at Stilwell Park in Fort Ord, off Gigling Road & North-South Road.

I remember "The Warehouse", then later called Capone's Warehouse", then later called "Oscar Hossenfelder's (with a Merry Go Round).... Those were some Good Times...

https://www.google.com/#q=Oscar+Hoss...annery+Row,+CA

Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Barbara Kelly is singing on this site. It is so terrible what happened to her. She deserved so much better in life...Rest in Peace, Barb.

Barbara_Kelly_If_They_Could_See_Me_Now | LighthouseAvenue.com

Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,500 times
My husband went to high school in PG. I showed him this topic. He loved it. His first job was at Holman's Dept Store and my wedding ring came from the jewelry shop across the street. He proposed to me after dinner at Del Monte Lodge, took me down to the 18th green, between the lodge and the ocean. It was pretty romantic. (Sigh, so many years ago) He always used to talk about a DJ at KMBY-Robert O. Smith; creator of Walter Wart the Freaky Frog. It's been a looong time. Except for the fog, I loved the Monterey Peninsula. A postor reminded me of the 811 Cinema (yes, I saw Clockwork Orange there, too) and the Spaghetti Warehouse. Thanks for reviving this old thread.....

Old 07-21-2017, 06:31 PM

I remember my brother-in-law & his friends saw "Rocky Horror Picture Show" about 25 times, at the 812 Cinema & Dream Theater.....

812 Cinema in Monterey, CA - Cinema Treasures

Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM

183 posts, read 254,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Monterey View Post
Does anyone remember the restaurant across from Harbor House Gift Shop on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey? It burned down in the 1970's. The exterior looked like a ship.
I think it was The Jolly Rogue and maybe later just The Rogue? I loved eating there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County