Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,260 times

Advertisements

Just found these posts and got me thinking about old town Monterey. Came to Seaside in 63’ and Lived in Seaside but hung around Monterey for the majority of my youth before heading into the Navy. I played a LOT of nine ball at the Owl Club off of Franklin St. Still remember the owners? / proprietor’s Jack and Cookie. Wonder whatever happened to them. Also played at Bennies aka play land before the DoubleTree was built. Other than those two spots, CYPRESS Bowl was the only other spot that had “Regulation” tables and not bar tables. Now that I think of it, there was one above the dream theater, but not much action there. Dreamland Billiards ? Anyway, left for the Navy in 74 and came back to a different Monterey. One my questions if anyone can remember is, when did the MBS department store close in Seaside off Fremont street? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,260 times
One other question…..does anyone remember Cy’s Hobbyshop that had a slot car track? I believe it was next to Seaside Market on Del Monte ave. Man did I have a blast in that place !!!

Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
Larkin was used by the Presidio for a number of years but is now a school again. Strangely I was cleaning out some old memorabilia and found an edition of Capone's Syndicate News; "Warehouse Takes Contract On Kelly." When the Warehouse hired the sultry singer Barbara Kelly to headline their show. And, what a show it was! I was dating my future husband who was at the DLI and he and the other young soldiers were huge fans of Miss Kelly. Plus a large pizza was $3.30 and a large pitcher of beer was $2.25. How could you not enjoy the show. I grew up on the Peninsula and fell asleep every night to the sound of the sea lions barking. My husband's last posting was back at Ft. Ord as a company commander so we were lucky to be able to come home. Not so small and quiet anymore but still lovely. Dennis the Menace Park is still there but the old Thing a Ma *** swing is long gone (too dangerous). We all survived it. The old train is still there. And sometimes, if you listen carefully, you can still hear the sea lions barking.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:59 PM

75 posts, read 154,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurluvr View Post
What was the name of the theater on Cannery Row (back during the '70s that had pillows on the floor rather than chairs). Always had funky movies playing. I remember seeing "A Clockwork Orange" there at age 18 or 19. Can't remember the names of any others, but I went there several times.

812 Cinema

Old 09-24-2023, 10:01 AM

75 posts, read 154,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEENMAN607 View Post
Just found these posts and got me thinking about old town Monterey. Came to Seaside in 63’ and Lived in Seaside but hung around Monterey for the majority of my youth before heading into the Navy. I played a LOT of nine ball at the Owl Club off of Franklin St. Still remember the owners? / proprietor’s Jack and Cookie. Wonder whatever happened to them. Also played at Bennies aka play land before the DoubleTree was built. Other than those two spots, CYPRESS Bowl was the only other spot that had “Regulation” tables and not bar tables. Now that I think of it, there was one above the dream theater, but not much action there. Dreamland Billiards ? Anyway, left for the Navy in 74 and came back to a different Monterey. One my questions if anyone can remember is, when did the MBS department store close in Seaside off Fremont street? Thanks
MBS closed in the early 1970s. Sorry, but I have no other details to share.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbloyer View Post
I was the manager at Flora's and then Capone's Warehouse from 1970 to 1973. I have met many former military personnel that visited at that time. I also worked at the Sardine Factory, Barbara Kelly's, Aldon's, the Briar House, Pine Inn, The Shutters and Del Monte Lodge 1967 thru 1977.
Do you remember when the Shutters closed? I remember seeing Jack Sheldon there. Was he a part-owner or did he just like to perform there? I used to frequent the Warehouse, too--the Warehousemen played at our wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County