Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 13,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Years ago I sometimes took my sis bowling at Monterey Lanes or Cypress Bowl.

I've known Bob Oberg for many years. His place was called "the Sable Knight" before.

When I was single, I shared a 2bdrm apt with a buddy, on Casanova Avenue...

Friends, the Enea brothers had a place called "la Cantina", over close to Roller Chevrolet.

Long ago I had a small apt on David Ave. I liked going over to Segovia's, on Lighthouse.

Segovia's - Monterey, CA | Yelp

After "The Warehouse" shutdown, they had Oscar Hossenfelter's video game room & the 'Merry-Go-Round......

Once in a while we went to "The Outrigger" for dinner...right there on Cannery Row. It has a different name now.
When Obergs burned down I helped covert Aldon's into a rock club. I was the manager. I went to Segovia's, La Cantina, Mission Ranch and many others. Al Foster was one of the bartenders at La Cantina. My name was in the Monterey Herald many times. I sat on a flag pole on the Row for 35 days raising money for the USO. KMBY sent a DJ up to do a remote with me. I also worked for Bert Cutino and Ted Balisteri also worked at the Lodge in Pebble Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 AM

235 posts, read 405,087 times
So glad you replied! Your monkey made me laugh many times. Great memories.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Could someone please tell me where the old Jack-in-the-Box used to sit back in the 70s in Monterey? I remember walking down Fremont Street past the Safeway several blocks but I can't recall exactly which intersection it used to sit on. Thank you!

Also, is Troia's supermarket still in business?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:05 PM

47 posts, read 135,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Could someone please tell me where the old Jack-in-the-Box used to sit back in the 70s in Monterey? I remember walking down Fremont Street past the Safeway several blocks but I can't recall exactly which intersection it used to sit on. Thank you!

Also, is Troia's supermarket still in business?
Jack is in the same place it's always been, El Dorado and Abrego. You may have walked up Munras from Safeway (now gone, its a Trader Joe) to the point where El Dorado, Munras and Abrego meet.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5929...zg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Troias is still open.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbloyer View Post
When Obergs burned down I helped covert Aldon's into a rock club. I was the manager. I went to Segovia's, La Cantina, Mission Ranch and many others. Al Foster was one of the bartenders at La Cantina. My name was in the Monterey Herald many times. I sat on a flag pole on the Row for 35 days raising money for the USO. KMBY sent a DJ up to do a remote with me. I also worked for Bert Cutino and Ted Balisteri also worked at the Lodge in Pebble Beach.
..I remember when you sat on the flagpole, Gordon....."Well Done"....

At La Cantina, I remember sometimes we played "Liar's Dice", at the bar.
For Hors d'oeuvres, at times, there was Calamari......yum..

My friends & I enjoyed playing dice & bowling, Pool, Shuffleboard, etc at the "Shadow Box", in Seaside, on Fremont... Owners were Derry Berry, Ray Ramirez, Sammy Rodriquez.

A few times Clint bought me a few beers at his Hog's Breath. I was a mechanic in Carmel, & worked on his vehicles, & family vehicles. My wife worked with Dina Ruiz...
Sometimes we went to "The Mission Ranch" on weekends.

Take Care...

Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM

183 posts, read 254,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurdy Gurdy Man View Post
Hey -

I'm still around. My name's Philip, and the picture features Chango the Monkey. The show retired in 2006, after a 36 year run. My last monkey, Goldie, is still alive, and living in an animal sanctuary in Texas. Check out Monkey Models There's a video of Chango slapping a guy's head, along with hurdy gurdy music. Cheers,

Hurdy Gurdy Man

I totally remember you and your adorable monkey(s). I'm not sure which one(s) I would've met. I lived in Monterey from 1976-1979 and spent lots of time at Fisherman's Wharf. Of course, I've made many return trips to visit, so probably met others all the way up until you left.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the map Barovelli. Back in the early 70's, Rodney Allen Rippy was the child spokesperson for Jack-in-the-Box. Quite memorable. I also remember tuning into Reverend Ike on the radio! Then there was Herb Jepco with the first nationally syndicated overnight radio talk show, The Nightcap. One other detail I recall from my days in Monterey back in 1972 was the "weather channel" for our cable--it was a camera that panned slowly over a series of analog weather instruments!

I have very much enjoyed the other nostalgic additions to this thread. Please keep them coming! And if anyone can answer some of my original questions from page 1, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,689 times
Default Organ Grinder with a Monkey

Hello,

I'm the old organ grinder with a monkey. The show went on, to become a concession with the California State Department of Parks and Recreation, in 1993. We moved from the front of the Wharf, about 75 feet to a location in front of the Custom House. This was after the Parks Department, got enough money to redo the Custom House Plaza, redo the walkway to the Wharf, and to take out the tracks of the old Del Monte Express. The old railway tracks became a very popular hiking and biking trail. The old Del Monte Express, used to take whole trainloads of white sand from the giant sand dunes in Pebble Beach - that used to exist there. They were higher than the Del Monte Forest. Some of it, was used to make the beach at Waikiki in Hawaii !! When the EPA finally shut down Wedron Sand Mining, there was nothing left, except room for the Spanish Bay golf links, the health center, and a complex of restaurants and stores. It is all known as Spanish Bay, now. However, the surf spot out front of where the sand mountains used to be, will always be known as "Dunes."

Due to injuries, I was forced to retire the monkey show in 2006. The last three monkeys were placed with a nice sanctuary in Texas. One of them, Goldie, is still alive. You can view a history of the whole show, at
www.monkeymodels.com. My mother taught Third Grade at Thomas Larkin school for quite a number of years. A lot of people remember their teacher, Mrs. Monroe. A lot has changed here, since 1972.

Phil Monroe
Hurdy Gurdy Man

Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM

I sure would like to see some photos of the Del Monte Express, or at least its route through Monterey. I'm sorry to say that I don't recall it, but maybe it stopped operating before I moved there (summer 1972). I do share Hurdy Gurdy Man's amusement of sorts about how land that was essentially ignored near 17 Mile Drive just a generation ago is now million-dollar property. My brother and I used to get on that part of the Drive above High Street in Monterey and ride to our heart's content. Those were the days!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,007 times
Does anyone remember the restaurant across from Harbor House Gift Shop on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey? It burned down in the 1970's. The exterior looked like a ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County