Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:05 PM

47 posts, read 135,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurluvr View Post
Hmmm... my memory fails me... I don't recall if Abinante is the one I'm thinking of (it might be).... and the location where the liquor store is sounds familiar.... I was thinking it was kind of near where McDonalds use to be (is that even still there?)...
Memory test - Start at the boat rental at lake El Estero and head toward downtown -

McDonalds - still there though totally torn down and rebuilt. Black Arches. (Before McD's the lot was a car dealership - Principal Lincoln-Mercury

[Cortes St]

Empty lot- don't know.
Machine shop/iron works.
Del Mar French Laundry. (still have the radio jingle in my head . . . for pick up and delivers call Del Mar French Laundry
Casa Bodega building. Legends say it's haunted.

[Figueroa St]
PG&E substation
Zackit Electronics
Beattie Motors Ford

[Washington St]

A gas station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM

183 posts, read 254,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
Memory test - Start at the boat rental at lake El Estero and head toward downtown -

McDonalds - still there though totally torn down and rebuilt. Black Arches. (Before McD's the lot was a car dealership - Principal Lincoln-Mercury

[Cortes St]

Empty lot- don't know.
Machine shop/iron works.
Del Mar French Laundry. (still have the radio jingle in my head . . . for pick up and delivers call Del Mar French Laundry
Casa Bodega building. Legends say it's haunted.

[Figueroa St]
PG&E substation
Zackit Electronics
Beattie Motors Ford

[Washington St]

A gas station.
Thanks for the info! I remember the Del Mar French Laundry. And I was thinking they had torn down that McDonalds, but didn't know they had rebuilt. Black Arches?! Wow! And yes, I remember the Casa Bodega Building.

I need another Monterey Peninsula visit! It's been 5 years since my last one!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,114 times
Was stationed at the Defense Language Institute for about four months in 1971 and loved it!! Had a great job, ate in an award winning mess hall, and a visit to Monterey required only a short walk. Still have pics. Friday night routine included a stop at a little bakery (great gingerbread men), then to a topless club where we'd share our bakery goods with the genuinely gorgeous dancers, then we'd end up at Capone's Warehouse, where the featured performer was Barbara Kelly, who I thought was fabulous. Hated to leave when I was transferred to Germany, but had a great time there, too!!

Old 12-23-2015, 10:19 AM

235 posts, read 405,552 times
Trying to get a visual on that nostalgic exchange of freshly baked gingerbread men and the gogo dancers...sounds like you indeed had a memorable Monterey experience!

Old 01-08-2016, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbloyer View Post
I was the manager at Flora's and then Capone's Warehouse from 1970 to 1973. I have met many former military personnel that visited at that time. I also worked at the Sardine Factory, Barbara Kelly's, Aldon's, the Briar House, Pine Inn, The Shutters and Del Monte Lodge 1967 thru 1977.
My Mom was a waitress at The Warehouse in 1971. I have a photograph of her in the Untouchables tee at the restaurant. Small world.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRF67 View Post
Was stationed at the Defense Language Institute for about four months in 1971 and loved it!! Had a great job, ate in an award winning mess hall, and a visit to Monterey required only a short walk. Still have pics. Friday night routine included a stop at a little bakery (great gingerbread men), then to a topless club where we'd share our bakery goods with the genuinely gorgeous dancers, then we'd end up at Capone's Warehouse, where the featured performer was Barbara Kelly, who I thought was fabulous. Hated to leave when I was transferred to Germany, but had a great time there, too!!
My Dad was also at the Defense Language Institute in 1971 - studied Greek. He went on to Schweinfurt, Germany after a brief stop in Ft. Bragg for Special Forces training. And my Mom was a waitress at the Warehouse. You probably saw them both and didn't know it.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Trying to get a visual on that nostalgic exchange of freshly baked gingerbread men and the gogo dancers...sounds like you indeed had a memorable Monterey experience!
I was really fortunate--my entire active duty military experience was like an extended fantasy camp!!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourevers View Post
My Dad was also at the Defense Language Institute in 1971 - studied Greek. He went on to Schweinfurt, Germany after a brief stop in Ft. Bragg for Special Forces training. And my Mom was a waitress at the Warehouse. You probably saw them both and didn't know it.
I might have cleaned your dad's teeth!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,403 times
Default Dli

If you walked down Franklin St. to get downtown Monterey you walked past my house. I lived in the big white house with the ivy hedge on the corner of Franklin and Cedar.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,403 times
Default godonbloyer

I too worked at the Briar House in the mid to later 70s. The chef then was Joe, but I can't remember his last name. Would he have been the chef when you were there? John Muench (sp) was the owner. I was part of the last crew to work there under the name Briar House. It sold twice while I was there and the last (and I believe current owners, Anton and Michele's) didn't keep any of the employees on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County