Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM

351 posts, read 799,235 times

Advertisements

American traveling with wife and two young kids (14 and 13). Any "must see" or off the beaten path. We do not know French but are learning some basics. Will we have any issues in Quebec city? They both look like beautiful places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 AM

26,890 posts, read 38,189,505 times
Language-wise, you won`t have any more problems than you would in a non-English part of western Europe.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM

thanks, I kind of figured that with the language thing. How about any place that we should not miss while we are there?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 AM

If you tell me what you are interested in, I can tailor my responses to your interests.

Are you more cultural or sporty? Outdoors or indoors?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM

all but sporting I guess. Heck I'm even a big fan of the Nils (80's punk band form Montreal) and may check out one of Alex Soria's old haunts. But this will be a family vacation. We like architecture, urban parks, cafes, museums. Good bike rental place for the family to check out the sights would be nice too. Thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM

I will have some more specific answers for you when I get some time, but for the moment you might want to check out these two threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ous-plait.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...-city-kid.html

Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Regarding Montreal, the old city may not be as spectacular as Quebec City's, but it is still very interesting. It is full of restaurants, shops, cafés, cobblestone streets, etc. The centre of it is Place Jacques-Cartier.
Vieux-Montréal : site officiel

There is an interesting architectural museum in Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal) called Pointe-à-Callière. It is a few blocks away from Place J-C.
Pointe-à-Callière, Musée d'archéologie et d'histoire de Montréal - Home

As a large city, Montreal has many interesting museums. The museum of fine arts (musée des beaux arts) is your typical big city art museum. It is north of the old town and north of the main shopping street (Rue Ste-Catherine). The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (http://www.mmfa.qc.ca/en/index.html - broken link)

There is a pretty decent contemporary art museum on Ste-Catherine heading east but still right in the downtown core
Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal :::

It is probably worth it to go up to the top of Mount Royal to see the view of the city that is built all around it:
Accueil

Some famous Montreal churches:
Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal
bienvenue
Oratoire St-Joseph :: Accueil

One street I really like in Montreal is St-Denis, which is just northeast of downtown, in the hipster district of Plateau Mont-Royal:
La Rue St-Denis a Montreal, quartier Le Plateau

The Olympic Park area in the east end of the city also has quite a few sights:
RIO - Must see! - Montréal Tower Observatory
Biodome
Jardin botanique de Montréal - The Montreal Botanical Garden [Jardin botanique de Montréal / Montreal Botanical Garden]

If you are looking to rent bikes, you will probably be interested in Bixi. It works and is highly popular. BIXI - Accueil

Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM

Forgot this (since you said you were interested in architecture):
Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA) | An international research centre and museum devoted to architecture

Old 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM

wow thanks! some very good stuff. merci beaucoup

Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 AM

Thinking about this again and most of the big festivals are already done for the year, but there is this one in Quebec City getting ready to start:

Accueil - Les Fêtes de la Nouvelle France SAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal