Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 AM

13 posts, read 39,936 times

Advertisements

i will be moving to montreal soon and i am looking now for a place to stay. i have around $700 a month for rent and would like to know if could find a place for that amount in a neighborhood not far from downtown montreal (30-45 mn walking distance) where i will likely work.

i went online and found something in my price bracket in a place called Hochelaga maisoneuve, does anyone know about this neighbohood?

is it safe? how would describe the latter.
and also if anyone has suggestions of good places to go for $700 any advice will be welcome.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimaty View Post
i will be moving to montreal soon and i am looking now for a place to stay. i have around $700 a month for rent and would like to know if could find a place for that amount in a neighborhood not far from downtown montreal (30-45 mn walking distance) where i will likely work.

i went online and found something in my price bracket in a place called Hochelaga maisoneuve, does anyone know about this neighbohood?

is it safe? how would describe the latter.
and also if anyone has suggestions of good places to go for $700 any advice will be welcome.

thanks in advance.
It is traditionally a poorer, working-class area of Montreal that has been undergoing a gentrification (embourgeoisement) in recent years with lots of developments. Many of the defenders of the working class residents fear they will be forced out by the newer, richer residents.

The gentrification is not complete and there are still many poorer residents here, but it is getting richer every year.

It is not a low-crime area like a leafy rich suburb but it is not super-dangerous either.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,297 times
It think HoMa is far to walk towards the downtown area. There are areas closer. Just above and East of the Park LaFontaine or around Masson and Iberville but getting to be a bit of an awfully long walk.
HoMa is not an area I would want to live in but that is me. I like to visit for the Value Village and other
thrift shop. There is some nice old architecture too but in general I find it a bit depressing. Plus the crime in some pockets=not good. Though it isn't that bad probably in most areas. It is more of the wrong place at the wrong time type of crime.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
South of downtown is Verdun,St Henri,Point Ste Charles, Griffin Town area,Subway makes downtown a 10 minute ride or a 20 minute bus ride or under an hours walk.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM

24 posts, read 87,873 times
Hochelaga is gentrifying so its not as bad as it used to be. It was downright scary in the 90s. Now its just another working class neigborhood although still a little rough around the edges. I agree its a little far from downtown, especially east of Pie-Ix

Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,297 times
Yes, certainly is gentrifying. There are no more low cost slums left in Montreal, darn it!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 AM

13 posts, read 39,936 times
thank you guys. well i will keep looking around and see what is available in my price bracket not far from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal