Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 PM

433 posts, read 1,371,590 times

Advertisements

Hey Montrealers, I was wondering about something? Is our college (or more known as CEGEP) system here in Montreal the cheapest compared to elsewhere? I always hear things like on the internet and in movies about how college is so expensive.

But when I was in college for a year before dropping out to go to trade school instead, my parents didn't make any complaints about it being expensive or anything, they just easily paid for the 2 semesters I was there. I think it was somewhere around $130 for tuition. So is our college education the cheapest compared to other places in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
CEGEP is not quite college its like a 2 year high school extension before college/university so yeah $130 sounds about right, after CEGEP the price for continued education in college or university goes up, for residents it could be $2000 or double for non residents.
Considering some of Americas higher learning establishments like Harvard or Yale can cost as much as $40K a year i'd say Canada's colleges and Universities are very reasonably priced..

Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
... So is our college education the cheapest compared to other places in the world?
OMG yes. By a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot!!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM

43 posts, read 173,831 times
You have to be careful. In the US, many people will refer to university as "college". Attending Harvard? "Going to college."

For the rest of the world, the CEGEP is system is akin to the last two years of high school, with the notable exception that you can take a three-year professional certification in the trades (electrician, etc.). In that sense, CEGEP is cheap but nothing spectacular.

The university system in Quebec, however, is quite cheap by North American standards. Not by continental European standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal