Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM

36 posts, read 161,149 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in Toronto but my girlfriend and I both like Montreal so much that we visit there a lot. Now we are even toying with an idea of moving there. I know we have to consider a lot of other things than just the language but if we want to really move there, we think we should at least learn French.(We both don't speak French. My girlfriend is from Canada but from an English speaking province. I'm not from Canada and even English is not my first language.)

But I hear that Quebec French is so different from France French that even French people sometimes have difficulty in communicating in Quebec. Is that true or a bit of an exaggeration? I'm asking this because I think if you want to learn French by learning materials(text books, CDs etc.) they usually teach France French, so I thought it would not be that practical to use them. Do they usually teach France French or Quebec French in language schools in Canada?

Unless you actually live there is it difficult to learn Quebec French?
(Learn Quebec French outside of Quebec?)
Is the difference not that significant to worry about?
(can just learn France French and adjust later?)

Any advice on how to learn Quebec French?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM

65 posts, read 157,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighthope View Post
Hi,
I live in Toronto but my girlfriend and I both like Montreal so much that we visit there a lot. Now we are even toying with an idea of moving there. I know we have to consider a lot of other things than just the language but if we want to really move there, we think we should at least learn French.(We both don't speak French. My girlfriend is from Canada but from an English speaking province. I'm not from Canada and even English is not my first language.)

But I hear that Quebec French is so different from France French that even French people sometimes have difficulty in communicating in Quebec. Is that true or a bit of an exaggeration? I'm asking this because I think if you want to learn French by learning materials(text books, CDs etc.) they usually teach France French, so I thought it would not be that practical to use them. Do they usually teach France French or Quebec French in language schools in Canada?

Unless you actually live there is it difficult to learn Quebec French?
(Learn Quebec French outside of Quebec?)
Is the difference not that significant to worry about?
(can just learn France French and adjust later?)

Any advice on how to learn Quebec French?

Thank you!
This is something that comes up on these threads often enough. The difference is in colloquialisms, accents, and speed of delivery where some french people will need to get acclimatized to the speech. The french are less exposed to Quebec french than we are to France french so they are may have a learning curve. But there are a lot of french immigrants in Quebec and they
just adjust to it the way an english person adjusts to american speech. Americans would have a harder time adjusting to certain colloquial english spoken in parts of the UK than the opposite. If you find a french instructor in T.O. that is from Quebec or french Ontario, they will point out the differences. It is no big deal. Plenty of people from all over come here and learn both english and french at the same time at work or in school. You have to think of Quebec french as american french vs European french. Good luck with your studies and your move!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 PM

36 posts, read 161,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
This is something that comes up on these threads often enough. The difference is in colloquialisms, accents, and speed of delivery where some french people will need to get acclimatized to the speech. The french are less exposed to Quebec french than we are to France french so they are may have a learning curve. But there are a lot of french immigrants in Quebec and they
just adjust to it the way an english person adjusts to american speech. Americans would have a harder time adjusting to certain colloquial english spoken in parts of the UK than the opposite. If you find a french instructor in T.O. that is from Quebec or french Ontario, they will point out the differences. It is no big deal. Plenty of people from all over come here and learn both english and french at the same time at work or in school. You have to think of Quebec french as american french vs European french. Good luck with your studies and your move!
Thanks for your reply!
One of the reasons I asked this question was that I speak good English and have no problem in communication in Ontario. But I lived in Newfoundland for 2 years and I really had hard time understanding their English. I was fine if they slowed down for me but it is still difficult to understand them when more than 2 Newfoundlanders talk to each other!!So that experience kind of worried me a bit.
Yeah but I guess the basic is the same and I'll start studying!
Thanks for taking the time for replying!!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 PM

65 posts, read 157,202 times
Pleasure!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
If you are thinking of moving to Quebec and have an opportunity to learn French from a teacher who is from Quebec, then by all means, go for it. But if not, it's not a big deal. People who learn French as a second language always sound a bit bookish and academic at first anyway, no matter who taught them.

For the sake of comparison consider this:

Departures from standard spoken French frequently heard in Quebec (with standard French in brackets):

J'm'en vas (je m'en vais)

Quessé ça? (qu'est-ce que c'est?)

C'est-tu (est-ce que c'est)

R'garde-lé (regarde-le)

Departures from standard spoken English frequently heard in the United States (with standard English in brackets):

I ain't gonna do it (I am not going to do it)

I done it (I did it)

I dunno (I don't know)

How y'all doin'? (How are all of you doing?)

There are many more examples of course.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you are thinking of moving to Quebec and have an opportunity to learn French from a teacher who is from Quebec, then by all means, go for it. But if not, it's not a big deal. People who learn French as a second language always sound a bit bookish and academic at first anyway, no matter who taught them.

For the sake of comparison consider this:

Departures from standard spoken French frequently heard in Quebec (with standard French in brackets):

J'm'en vas (je m'en vais)

Quessé ça? (qu'est-ce que c'est?)

C'est-tu (est-ce que c'est)

R'garde-lé (regarde-le)

Departures from standard spoken English frequently heard in the United States (with standard English in brackets):

I ain't gonna do it (I am not going to do it)

I done it (I did it)

I dunno (I don't know)

How y'all doin'? (How are all of you doing?)

There are many more examples of course.
Good thing I'm learning this now. I won't have so much to worry about.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Quebec French is kind of a "sing-song" twang and the only way to learn is to go and immerse yourself. And it's not a bad "immersion" and you'll probably have a lot more fun doing it there than in Toronto!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM

83 posts, read 280,916 times
Comparing Québec French to France French is like comparing American English to British English. We Québecers are more familiar with France French than the French are with Québec language and culture. Your best bet is to learn from a Québec native. You'll have an easier time that way.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I'm a second-language speaker of Canadian French (I'm from the States), and I have a much harder time understanding people from France. I can still get the gist of what they're saying, but it's much more difficult to understand. The French like to swallow their vowels and talk in a very breathy, nasal-sounding accent.

I really don't know why most schools in the U.S. teach France French instead of Quebec or Acadian French, even in states that border Canada. I mean, Canada is right next door, and France is all the way across the Atlantic Ocean. It's far more likely for an American to run into a francophone Canadian than someone from France, Switzerland or Belgium. Not to mention there are plenty of Acadian or Cajun French speakers right here in the USA.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM

195 posts, read 672,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Comparing Québec French to France French is like comparing American English to British English. We Québecers are more familiar with France French than the French are with Québec language and culture. Your best bet is to learn from a Québec native. You'll have an easier time that way.

mets-en ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal