Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

48 posts, read 114,035 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a weekend in Montreal. As before, I've noticed the city has a higher than usual number of exotic/uber expensive cars. In less than 24 hours, I noticed five Bentley Continentals (three convertibles and two coupes), one Lamborghini and too many Porches to count. This was during particularly crappy weather too, and on nicer days I've seen many more high dollar cars - way more than in Boston, on average.

At the same time, Quebec has the highest tax rate in Canada by far. It's so much that way that I bet very few people driving those cars (if any) came to Montreal with nothing and worked their way up through a regular job, losing more than half of it to the government every year in the process. It just doesn't seem possible to start from the bottom and earn (and keep) that kind of money, at least not while working for someone else, anyway.

So how do those Montrealers do it? Is it old family money or is it neuvaux riche making their money elsewhere and finding ways to avoid the oppressive tax rates?

What's the big money industry in Montreal, anyway? Is it finance? Minerals? Shipping?

Just curious....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
There is quite a bit of old money in Montreal. Some of it locally/nationally acquired in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Much of the westward expansion and development of Canada was planned and managed from Montreal during those periods.

Also, it is a little-known fact that some members of European aristocracies moved to Montreal at various points in the first half of the 20th century when things got rough overseas. Some of their descendants are still in Montreal. I saw a news report about this community a few years ago. So these are some explanations.

As for the modern-day situation, well just a hunch but Montreal is in essence the Québécois Hollywood. Anybody who is anybody in the Quebec show business industry (which has the "big fish in a small pond" thing going on) lives in or around Montreal. Of course, these people do not make the astronomical money that Hollywood stars make, but some of them do make a lot more money that the average person does. In many cases more than enough to buy luxury cars and other nice stuff.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 AM

86 posts, read 400,957 times
Did you not notice the extremely high number of econoboxes/compact cars on the road?

Québec is the uncontested fiefdom of all the Toyota Yaris/Echo/Honda Fit/Civic/Chevrolet Aveo/Mazda 2/3/Ford Fiesta/Focus/Nissan Versa/Sentra/Mitsubishi Lancer/Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio and others in North America. That's what the people who pay the high taxes are practically forced to drive. They can't afford anything else. Make no mistake, the rich don't pay all that much in income taxes, they generally get to evade both revenue agencies pretty easily due to many legal (but rarely illegal) ways of saving taxes (I'm not saying that's wrong, by the way, I'd do the same if I had the opportunity).

Come to the Toronto area, you'll see a lot less econoboxes/compact cars and a hell of a lot more high-end ones.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAmerican View Post
Did you not notice the extremely high number of econoboxes/compact cars on the road?

Québec is the uncontested fiefdom of all the Toyota Yaris/Echo/Honda Fit/Civic/Chevrolet Aveo/Mazda 2/3/Ford Fiesta/Focus/Nissan Versa/Sentra/Mitsubishi Lancer/Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio and others in North America. That's what the people who pay the high taxes are practically forced to drive. They can't afford anything else. Make no mistake, the rich don't pay all that much in income taxes, they generally get to evade both revenue agencies pretty easily due to many legal (but rarely illegal) ways of saving taxes (I'm not saying that's wrong, by the way, I'd do the same if I had the opportunity).

Come to the Toronto area, you'll see a lot less econoboxes/compact cars and a hell of a lot more high-end ones.
Not sure if it is directly related to taxation but yeah, Quebec on average has no equal in North America when it comes to the prevalence of smaller cars.

But I still think that, with a few exceptions, Montreal has more of the spectacular cars (of the variety described by the OP) than most other North American cities, even ones that are larger like Toronto I'd say.

This is more a question of personality and culture than money. (Of which Toronto has more than Montreal it is true.) People in Quebec just like flashier stuff.

So yeah, in Toronto you are more likely to see a Lexus in an average driveway, whereas in Montreal it'll be more like a Honda Civic.

But in Montreal the sea of smaller cars will be peppered with the odd Ferrari or Alfa Romeo much more often than the sea of sensible luxury vehicles (Lexus, Lincoln, etc.) will be in Toronto.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM

195 posts, read 673,028 times
I don't agree with this statement and am half quebecois myself but someone told me once that Quebec is like New Jersey in French if that helps explain the mentality with the flashy Real Housewives-esque lifestyles, bad stripey dye jobs on the women, plethora of cheetah print outfits

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 PM

48 posts, read 114,035 times
I did notice the number of cheap cars (like the Yaris, the Smart, etc.) and figured it was a reflection of what regular folks are forced into, thanks to the confiscatory tax rates. A friggin' combined sales tax of 14% on top of it all - holy crap!

When you combine the anti-Anglophone mentality, the political situation and the tax rates, I get the feeling Quebecs best days are behind it. Kind of sad but kind of the case with most places French speaking, unfortunately.

.....Except maybe for Monaco and Switzerland.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinanshakin View Post
When you combine the anti-Anglophone mentality, the political situation and the tax rates, I get the feeling Quebecs best days are behind it. Kind of sad but kind of the case with most places French speaking, unfortunately.

.....Except maybe for Monaco and Switzerland.
And yet... the economic situation in Quebec is better than it's ever been. Unemployment is close to historic lows, the prosperity gap between Quebec and the rest of Canada and even North America has narrowed significantly (it is even gone or in Quebec's advantage if you factor in the overall lower cost of living in Quebec) and poverty rates are lower than ever as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinanshakin View Post
I did notice the number of cheap cars (like the Yaris, the Smart, etc.) and figured it was a reflection of what regular folks are forced into, thanks to the confiscatory tax rates. A friggin' combined sales tax of 14% on top of it all - holy crap!

Except for Alberta, sales taxes are not much lower (generally in the 13% range) in the other Canadian provinces, and in some cases (PEI, NS) they are even higher.

In any event, taxes aren't the only thing you have to pay in life. I wouldn't want to live in a place where taxes are super-low but a crappy three-bedroom bungalow costs 2 million dollars. Would you?

I know that people look at the taxes in Quebec, but they are only part of the picture. Overall, Quebec is a fairly low-cost place to live, mainly due to the affordability of housing.

Saying that no one can afford to live in a particular place by citing the impact of taxation on one's ability to buy a large vehicle is about as intellectual to linking its livability to the price of beer.

Now, some people (like VirtualAmerican) may have personal objections to Quebec taxation policies, chiefly for ideological reasons, and that is perfectly fine. We can have that debate.

But let's not portray things here for what they are not. On an everyday level, Quebec is on all accounts a very livable place. It may not be to everyone's taste, but then again neither is Houston, Texas.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 AM

195 posts, read 673,028 times
Exactly - you will make more money in Houston, can buy a much larger home, pay much less in taxes, and have access to far cheaper consumer goods but....you have to live in Houston :-D

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM

86 posts, read 400,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But I still think that, with a few exceptions, Montreal has more of the spectacular cars (of the variety described by the OP) than most other North American cities, even ones that are larger like Toronto I'd say.

This is more a question of personality and culture than money. (Of which Toronto has more than Montreal it is true.) People in Quebec just like flashier stuff.

So yeah, in Toronto you are more likely to see a Lexus in an average driveway, whereas in Montreal it'll be more like a Honda Civic.

But in Montreal the sea of smaller cars will be peppered with the odd Ferrari or Alfa Romeo much more often than the sea of sensible luxury vehicles (Lexus, Lincoln, etc.) will be in Toronto.
Seeing what you really meant in your first post, then yeah, I have to agree with you entirely about Montréal's "Hollywood" similarities and the other reasons (cultural, Québecers like flashier stuff, etc.) why there would be more exotics (let's call them that) there than in the rest of North America. But I must say I certainly see TONS of exotics right here in Mississauga on any given week (when the weather permits, of course). The "non-exotic-but-still-high-end" luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Lincoln, etc.) barely even register on my radar anymore due to their... well, ubiquity all over the GTA....

But I still notice all the Cadillacs - I drive one!

Quote:
And yet... the economic situation in Quebec is better than it's ever been. Unemployment is close to historic lows, the prosperity gap between Quebec and the rest of Canada and even North America has narrowed significantly (it is even gone or in Quebec's advantage if you factor in the overall lower cost of living in Quebec) and poverty rates are lower than ever as well.
I have to disagree here. Not because what you stated isn't true, but simply because I believe it would be a mistake to assume that the above stands because of Québec's very own "economic prowess" as the context of your post seems to suggest. I'm certainly not an economist, but in my opinion, the Great Recession experienced by North America as a whole mostly hammered sectors of the economy/industry which aren't particularly present within the province, which caused it to be largely "spared from the recession," as Premier Jean Charest (I think) recently commented.

Thus, if Québec has been "spared from the recession" and other regions of North America have not (especially the U.S.), is it any wonder that Québec is doing as good if not better economically than its North American counterparts at present? Of course it isn't. Were the economies of the United States and Canada not coming out of a recession right now, I think it's safe to say that they would be knocking poorer Québec's socks off as we speak, just as they all did right before we found ourselves in this mess.

Quote:
I know that people look at the taxes in Quebec, but they are only part of the picture. Overall, Quebec is a fairly low-cost place to live, mainly due to the affordability of housing.

Saying that no one can afford to live in a particular place by citing the impact of taxation on one's ability to buy a large vehicle is about as intellectual to linking its livability to the price of beer.
Of course. No one is saying that. But I've lived in Québec for 24 years and I know that its population's increased propensity to drive smaller (as opposed to its North American neighbors) isn't quite linked to an accrued spirit of eco-consciousness... it is but one of the symptoms one can readily observe within the province that tells of a larger, overarching and complex issue involving taxation, government intervention, public spending and debt, and the economic/business climate as a whole.

Quote:
Now, some people (like VirtualAmerican) may have personal objections to Quebec taxation policies, chiefly for ideological reasons, and that is perfectly fine. We can have that debate.

But let's not portray things here for what they are not. On an everyday level, Quebec is on all accounts a very livable place. It may not be to everyone's taste, but then again neither is Houston, Texas.
That would be personal, practical, economical, fiscal and yes, ideological reasons. And I agree Québec is a great place to live, but I personally think it would be even better still if more Québecers were as open-minded as you, since that would allow them to actually HAVE these kinds of debates amongst themselves, at a time where the necessity of government frugality and austerity to insure a bright future for Québec becomes more and more critical. This is clearly not happening right now though - all Québec (City) is talking about is Mayor Labeaume's "project" of a multi-million dollar NHL amphitheater, paid for almost entirely by PUBLIC FUNDS which the government simply does not have. Revolting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal