Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 PM

195 posts, read 648,939 times

Advertisements

How is Montreal? The climate, people etc? I'm thinking about moving there in my future... but I can't speak french Only 3 words lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 51,246 times
You might have some trouble then. Montreal isn't as french as Quebec city but they get LOTS of snow, and cold winters. Plus hardly anyone likes that province because they complain about everything. I would suggest Toronto, its Canada's LA/New York might be better for you coming from Jersey.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM

466 posts, read 1,626,231 times
I would like to visit Montreal. I live in the Buffalo/Niagara region. Is there a bus take goes from that area to Montreal? If not, what are some buses that go from Toronto to Montreal? I can get to Toronto pretty easily if I cannot go to Montreal from Buffalo/Niagara. Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 02:36 PM

110 posts, read 621,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Plus hardly anyone likes that province because they complain about everything. I would suggest Toronto, its Canada's LA/New York might be better for you coming from Jersey.
You got to be very ignorant to say stuff like that...or like it often happens....an Anti-Quebec person......

So, the reality is this guy, even from Jersey, may prefer Montreal to Toronto exactly because he wishes to see something different. He wants another experience rather than simply going to another city that looks like almost any other city in the US. Hows Toronto so different than Chicago, New York, Seattle, Boston etc.... Montreal offers a unique challenge in North america bringing three world together in the same city. The french world, the english world and the multi-ethnic world.

And believe me, if you havent been in the New york/LA jewish world than you dont know what complaining is all about....these people are complaining about everything. That is serious complaining.

Yes, it can be cold in the winter and there is a lot of snow....that is the downside of it unless you really love winter and snow therefor Montreal can be a magical city.....the old port on a snowy day is simply magnificient.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Welcome to Montréal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I live in the Buffalo/Niagara region. Is there a bus take goes from that area to Montreal? If not, what are some buses that go from Toronto to Montreal? Thanks
I may be too late here but i just joined the forum so.....so your best bet would be to take the Greyhound bus from Toronto to Montreal but remember to purchase your ticket as early as possible in order to have a decent price because it can be very expensive buying it the same day.

You can also take the Viarail train from Toronto to Montreal. But my favorite is to share a ride. It is very cheap and you get to meet people, sometimes very interesting ones. You go to craigslist.com, in the Toronto section and then share ride.....and look for Montreal ride.

You'll be more than welcome to Montreal and if you need advices or hints.....dont hesitate.

À bientot

Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
I may be too late here but i just joined the forum so.....so your best bet would be to take the Greyhound bus from Toronto to Montreal but remember to purchase your ticket as early as possible in order to have a decent price because it can be very expensive buying it the same day.

You can also take the Viarail train from Toronto to Montreal. But my favorite is to share a ride. It is very cheap and you get to meet people, sometimes very interesting ones. You go to craigslist.com, in the Toronto section and then share ride.....and look for Montreal ride.

You'll be more than welcome to Montreal and if you need advices or hints.....dont hesitate.

À bientot
merci beaucoup! i am thinking of going there this august for the Rogers Cup (tennis, if anyone watches).

Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM

47 posts, read 200,442 times
Toronto is like New York, LA most certainly not.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone View Post
exactly. LA is much like its western side of the country, big suburban jungle.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone View Post
I would also say that Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston and New York are similar type cities. They are ''old'' North american types. They are similar in that way but everyone has their own identity and of course Montreal has the french/quebecois parts that differentiates it from anything else in America.

Toronto is ''trying'' to be like NYC...trying way to hard.

August in Montreal is great. The tennis tournament is also very well attended and the park where it's being held is very nice. It's a drive up in the northern part of the city but that allows people to get out of the Center part or the Old part.

Great place.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,291,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
You might have some trouble then. Montreal isn't as french as Quebec city but they get LOTS of snow, and cold winters. Plus hardly anyone likes that province because they complain about everything. I would suggest Toronto, its Canada's LA/New York might be better for you coming from Jersey.
I lived in Quebec for three years - two years in Quebec City and and one year in Riviere-du-Loup. I loved living there - the province is beautiful and the people are, for the most part, warm vibrant friendly people.

Canadian Guy - I am curious: How long (and where) did you live in Quebec ?

NNJ - If you don't speak French I would probably recommend that you chose somewhere besides Montreal to live UNLESS you don't need to work to live, or have a professon where you can hang up a shingle and run your own business. Otherwise, you may have a challenge finding work there (as well as in other French-speaking areas of Canada - all of Quebec, much of New Brunswick and parts of Ontario) as being bilingual (French and English) is frequently a prerequisite.

If, on the other hand, you are a professional or independently wealthy, then Montreal is a gorgeous vibrant city and you would probably love it!

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-06-2009 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal