Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightjack View Post
Quebec official language is French : Ontario official language is English. That's not new. Where is the OPPRESSION you are talking about? Keep calm and read..
Because I don't agree with your assessment, in a calm manner by the by, does not indicate disagreement with the legislation in various provinces. It indicates merely that only one province has felt it necessary to enforce draconian measures to supposedly "protect" a language. That is the oppressive part.

Any flourishing culture and language should stand on it's own and thrive based on it's merits as a relevant entity. It should maintain itself; should it not?

Enacting laws and applying those laws in an arbitrary manner is simply admitting a "weakness" right out of the box, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Because I don't agree with your assessment, in a calm manner by the by, does not indicate disagreement with the legislation in various provinces. It indicates merely that only one province has felt it necessary to enforce draconian measures to supposedly "protect" a language. That is the oppressive part.

Any flourishing culture and language should stand on it's own and thrive based on it's merits as a relevant entity. It should maintain itself; should it not?

Enacting laws and applying those laws in an arbitrary manner is simply admitting a "weakness" right out of the box, is it not?
In the absence of international borders or language territoriality (like Switzerland) there really is no other choice.

Even the mighty U.S. of A and the variety of the mighty tongue of Albion that they speak is feeling the pressure on its southern front, and they have an international border there!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
More to add to the pathetic file CJAD 800

Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
More to add to the pathetic file CJAD 800
That is quite sad actually...I cannot imagine throwing a sandwich at someone because they were minding their own business speaking their native tongue..this lady needs to get a life.

Why do Anglo's in Quebec put up with it? If possible leave and come to an area of the country where you can speak however you want without fear of assault via sandwich.

It might be said that Francophones have experienced this type of abuse in the past by Anglos's but does that make what this lady did right?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Why do Anglo's in Quebec put up with it? If possible leave and come to an area of the country where you can speak however you want without fear of assault via sandwich.
I'd give some serious consideration to that option but the rest of my family is too entrenched here with work and schooling and social life..

Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Can anyone tell me why I can't even get a job sweeping a floor at a VIA RAil station in Windsor without being bilingual?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 AM

Rather odd. is there more to the story? is a condition of employment for VIA maintenance staff across Canada bilingualism? or they are just using a creative way of saying you didnt get the job?
I can see that happening in Quebec but Windsor?I'd have a talk with your local Ombudsman,newspaper or MP as to why a floor sweeper in Windsor is turned away from a job because he isnt Bilingual..

Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rather odd. is there more to the story? is a condition of employment for VIA maintenance staff across Canada bilingualism? or they are just using a creative way of saying you didnt get the job?
I can see that happening in Quebec but Windsor?I'd have a talk with your local Ombudsman,newspaper or MP as to why a floor sweeper in Windsor is turned away from a job because he isnt Bilingual..
As jambo said, it sounds a bit fishy. We'd need more info to have an opinion on the subject.

I suspect that even most ticket and service agents who work with the public at the VIA station in Windsor are not biliingual, and that there probably is one wicket staffed with a bilingual agent identified as such with a sign, and that the other wickets are staffed by English only speakers. This is usually the way it goes.

In any event, might I respectfully suggest that our friend aim higher with his or her career aspirations than a job sweeping the floor in a train station...

Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
".... a job sweeping a floor at a VIA RAil station in Windsor without being bilingual?"

So he exaggerated a bit. LOL
More like the administrative jobs will come with such a prerequisite.

"Bilingual (English and French)
Candidates must meet the language requirements to be considered. A language test may be required.
Language skill levels of position (Read/Write/Understand/Speak): AABB or BBCC"

Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 PM

37 posts, read 48,508 times
Les préposés au sens (I) | Le blogue de Josée Legault
Le blogue de Josée Legault

For those who read french, a very interesting point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal