Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 PM

544 posts, read 901,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Have you experienced summer in Austin? It’s 37-38 Celsius every single day.
Why is language a reason to stay? Montreal is bilingual. If anything, it’s a positive.
Cost of living: how so? Montreal is one of the more affordable large cities in NA.
Taxes: Yeah, okay. Have fun paying $1,200+ per month for health insurance for your family.
Government interference: Have you been paying attention to US politics for the past two decades?

As for reasons why one would WANT to make the move, they are countless. It all depends on the lifestyle one seeks. Sunbelt cities are extreme sprawl and car-centric suburbia, for one. That in itself can be a major reason for one to want to move.
It looks like Toronto99 hit a nerve. Arcenal has listed many misconceptions about the US in this post (I have lived decades in both countries and know about what I speak) but does make a good point on why the OP wants to make a move. Sometimes a career opportunity, whether it be a company, a promotion, a chance to learn something you can't learn anywhere else makes a big change like this worth it. If it's to do the same thing in a different company, then I am with Toronto99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Montreal is not bilingual to the point where there are no inconveniences if one does not speak French.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
It looks like Toronto99 hit a nerve. Arcenal has listed many misconceptions about the US in this post (I have lived decades in both countries and know about what I speak) but does make a good point on why the OP wants to make a move. Sometimes a career opportunity, whether it be a company, a promotion, a chance to learn something you can't learn anywhere else makes a big change like this worth it. If it's to do the same thing in a different company, then I am with Toronto99.
I’ve lived in both as well, and currently choose to live in the US. I have citizenship in both. What misconceptions did I list?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal is not bilingual to the point where there are no inconveniences if one does not speak French.
Clearly. But the fact of the matter is that one can pretty easily become bilingual by living there and assimilating.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Clearly. But the fact of the matter is that one can pretty easily become bilingual by living there and assimilating.
Realistically, how many anglos in Montréal actually "assimilate" to French? Not many.

Though most do learn the French that is needed to live there. Some still resist though their numbers are diminishing.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Realistically, how many anglos in Montréal actually "assimilate" to French? Not many.

Though most do learn the French that is needed to live there. Some still resist though their numbers are diminishing.
Depends on the mindset with which one moves. I've always thought it ridiculous to attempt to live somewhere and not want to learn the local language and cultures. How many Americans move to Japan with no desire to learn Japanese?

If one doesn't intend to learn French to some level of decent fluency, especially given the countless resources available in the city, moving to Montreal makes no sense.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 PM

50 posts, read 183,432 times
Quote:
Have you experienced summer in Austin? It’s 37-38 Celsius every single day.
Why is language a reason to stay? Montreal is bilingual. If anything, it’s a positive.
Cost of living: how so? Montreal is one of the more affordable large cities in NA.
Taxes: Yeah, okay. Have fun paying $1,200+ per month for health insurance for your family.
Government interference: Have you been paying attention to US politics for the past two decades?

As for reasons why one would WANT to make the move, they are countless. It all depends on the lifestyle one seeks. Sunbelt cities are extreme sprawl and car-centric suburbia, for one. That in itself can be a major reason for one to want to move.
Yes, I have been to Austin in the summer and its VERY hot. However, I am assuming the OP is a native Texan or has been in the state for a long time and can tolerate the heat. Montreal winters on the other hand....

Montreal is affordable compared to Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco but a lot more expensive than other North American cities including Austin

$1,200 is worth it for excellent health care. Enjoy your "free" Canadian health care with massive wait times and crowded, decrepit hospitals (better to drive to Burlington, Vermont for health care).

The state government of Texas believes in leaving its people alone. Have fun with the provincial government of Quebec always up your behind.

And specific to Austin, be warned there is no decent BBQ and no Americana music scene (James McMurtry and Alejandro Escovedo rarely play in Quebec)

Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 PM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto99 View Post
And specific to Austin, be warned there is no decent BBQ and no Americana music scene (James McMurtry and Alejandro Escovedo rarely play in Quebec)
I'd be very surprised if there were decent sugar shacks and a French-language music scene in Austin.

Your point is?

Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto99 View Post

Montreal is affordable compared to Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco but a lot more expensive than other North American cities including Austin

$1,200 is worth it for excellent health care. Enjoy your "free" Canadian health care with massive wait times and crowded, decrepit hospitals (better to drive to Burlington, Vermont for health care).
No, Montreal is not more expensive... Have you tried renting in major sunbelt cities?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

And no one in their right mind drives to Burlington for healthcare instead of using the resources available in Montreal.
What decrepit hospitals? You mean this one?
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5080.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.azuremagazine.com/articl...e-de-montreal/

Or the MUHC+Shriner's?
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4725.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by Yac; 07-22-2019 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I'd be very surprised if there were decent sugar shacks and a French-language music scene in Austin.

Your point is?
What about skiing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal