Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 71,066 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house. I am making a decision on either NDG or Nuns island.... Can anyone provide suggestion?

And I don't think any area in NDG is good... which area is good in NDG?

Thanx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 AM

39 posts, read 285,118 times
It depends on what you're looking for. In NDG there's more to do, and it's closer to transit, but Nun's Island is quieter, and safer.
Nun's Island is kind of a cool place to live, with some great views of the water, and some historical neighbourhoods, and not too much traffic. Just make sure you don't buy a house near the bridge, or you'll hear all the highway traffic.

NDG has some dangerous areas, like Walkley ave., but if you stay further Wsst, closer to Montreal-West, it's not so bad.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Thank you for your reply. So it's any area that close to Walkley ave?
Which area in NDG is the best? As you said close to montreal west? and the price also higher?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask. Where would you suggest to live in Montreal?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 PM

110 posts, read 620,971 times
NDG seems more interesting especially for someone arriving in Montreal. NDG is an intown area with some local vibe such as Monkland avenue (Monkland Village), a better access to transit system and some real nice charming streets with three's and town houses etc...

Ile des Soeurs is relatively remote, surrounded by water, of course, but it isn't as lively not as entranched in the city like NDG.

There are many other areas where one could move but it depends if you are by yourself or with a family, if you are planning to have a car or only use the transit system, if you wish to beneficiate from the city's nightlife and cultural scene or if you prefer having your own garden and living a more quiet life, per example.

If you prefer to be surrounded by a specific ethnic group or you wish to be close to malls or you'd rather live among francophone for a better immersion etc....

There are plenty of different areas but some may not appeal to you for different reasons.

Give us some more insight about you.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 47,249 times
I am looking for areas to live in Montreal,that are dominated by thiere strong ethnic background...( Italian,South American,Central American,Indian,Packistanie,Lebaness,ect,ect )...If theire is anyone that can help me with this,it would be very much appreciated....sleepless in USA

Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Walkley Ave is dangerous? Really? I wouldn't say so. My OH's parents literally live on Walkley and I've walked through NDG around Walkley and Monkland many times. Feels like typical suburbia to me. How is it more dangerous than anywhere else in Montreal?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuitsung View Post
I am looking to buy a house. I am making a decision on either NDG or Nuns island.... Can anyone provide suggestion?

And I don't think any area in NDG is good... which area is good in NDG?
LOL! That makes me think of my husband and whenever he mentions NDG. He grew up there. Apparently, it stands for No Damn Good. Or No Damn Girls.

Seriously though, we hang out in his old 'hood whenever we go back and think it's got a great vibe and lots of life and character. Never thought it felt or looked unsafe. However, like anywhere, use common-sense and be aware of your surroundings. No place is ever 100% safe.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 16,431 times
I am also looking at NDG area for my first housing. But as well, I concern a lot about safety issue. I would like to know if it is safe around namur metro station? or victoria/jean-talon? Please help!!! Thank you everyone!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Walkley Ave is dangerous? Really? I wouldn't say so. My OH's parents literally live on Walkley and I've walked through NDG around Walkley and Monkland many times. Feels like typical suburbia to me. How is it more dangerous than anywhere else in Montreal?
That would be the part of Walkley between Fielding and Cote St Luc Rd that might be considered a bit rough for some.The rest of NDG is very nice,i like the streets that cross Sherbrooke between Girouard and Park Row West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal