Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM

91 posts, read 248,831 times

Advertisements

Even though I think it is preposterous, I have been told by a few (very few) people that in Montreal, Francophones look down on Anglophones. Looking at Google Earth, I see that Montreal lies within a Francophonic province which is part of an bilingual country which is surrounded on three sides by English-speaking areas: Ontario, the United States and New Brunswick/Newfoundland and Labrador.

It would seem that since Quebec is a Francophonic province that most people would know or at least understand some French, so I would think any "looking down on Anglophones" would be done by a minority. On the other hand, je m'excuse mes amis Francophonique, I have noticed that where ever the French language is, a linguistic rivalry takes place. I had a friend from Africa and his tribe was split between England and France and after colonization, the French-speaking members of the tribe don't like the English speaking members because they speak English. The same thing is happening in Cameroon.

Anyway, I was just curious about this so-called looking down upon idea. I've been to Montreal before and I was treated just fine. Maybe it was that mix of USD and CAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
I wouldn’t say that francophones look down on anglophones since looking down on someone implies a feeling of superiority over them. Generally speaking, most francophones don’t feel superior to anglophones. In fact, many probably have an inferiority complex vis-à-vis anglos.

If there is a negative feeling towards anglophones, it is probably resentment.

You actually touched on one of the main reasons for it: it varies a bit depending on whether or not you are talking about the city itself, the island of Montreal (which includes the city plus some suburbs) or the broader metro region, but overall, anglos are generally around 20% of Montreal’s (a bit higher overall on the island, a bit lower in the metro region) population.

You then supposed that anyone in this area would know how to speak French, which I presume includes the approx. 20% of the population that are anglos. The reality is that only about half of them speak French.

The other half speak only English (sometimes unapologetically so), and mostly carry out their daily business expecting that every non-anglo person (usually francophones) they encounter is going to instantaneously switch to English to accommodate them.

Hence the resentment.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn’t say that francophones look down on anglophones since looking down on someone implies a feeling of superiority over them. Generally speaking, most francophones don’t feel superior to anglophones. In fact, many probably have an inferiority complex vis-à-vis anglos.

You actually touched on one of the main reasons for it: it varies a bit depending on whether or not you are talking about the city itself, the island of Montreal (which includes the city plus some suburbs) or the broader metro region, but overall, anglos are generally around 20% of Montreal’s (a bit higher overall on the island, a bit lower in the metro region) population.

You then supposed that anyone in this area would know how to speak French, which I presume includes the approx. 20% of the population that are anglos. The reality is that only about half of them speak French.

The other half speak only English (sometimes unapologetically so), and mostly carry out their daily business expecting that every non-anglo person (usually francophones) they encounter is going to instantaneously switch to English to accommodate them.

Hence the resentment.
Part of it is point of view. I think many of the Anglophones view Montreal as part of Canada, an English-speaking nation, and for that reason, expect English to be spoken. I also believe many Francophones view Quebec as a distinct cultural entity, separate from the rest of Canada. I read National Geographic any chance I get. I have read about Montreal an Quebec, as well as its political issues. From what I read, Anglophones view Quebec as part of Canada. In an article from April 1977 titled "One Canada or Two", one person explained that the Francophones of Quebec see themselves as a majority(and in sheer numbers they are) and that they expect French to be spoken in every aspect of Quebecois life from school to business.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Part of it is point of view. I think many of the Anglophones view Montreal as part of Canada, an English-speaking nation, and for that reason, expect English to be spoken. I also believe many Francophones view Quebec as a distinct cultural entity, separate from the rest of Canada. I read National Geographic any chance I get. I have read about Montreal an Quebec, as well as its political issues. From what I read, Anglophones view Quebec as part of Canada. In an article from April 1977 titled "One Canada or Two", one person explained that the Francophones of Quebec see themselves as a majority(and in sheer numbers they are) and that they expect French to be spoken in every aspect of Quebecois life from school to business.
Exactly.

That is why I often say that many Canadians view Quebec as a gigantic ethnic neighbourhood. A non-Chinese person won’t necessarily learn Chinese if they buy a hipster condo in Chinatown, and many people don’t see the need to learn French even if they happen to live in Quebec. Even if Quebec is bigger than all but 20 of the world’s approx. 200 countries.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,245 times
I think being the minority in Canada, the French has the right and responsibility to protect their French culture and heritage, and to some extent, some extreme measures are necessary. For example, if all Francophones love to speak English on a daily basis to communicate with other residents, I would be very worried about the future of the French language in Quebec. I love the fact that they often show too much pride in their language and culture to the extent of "looking down on Anglophones".

The problem really is, the percentage of francophones who can speak decent English is way higher than vise-versa. So if you are worried about being looking down for not speaking French, why not learn French if you ever need to go to Quebec? I came to Canada, and I learned English.

Who are more arrogant? I don't know. In my understanding, French Canadians only expect to protect the French culture in Quebec as much as they can, while Anglophones often think having a francophone province within the country is a pain in the ass and if possible, they hope francophones should be forced to speak English so that they themselve will have more fun in Montreal bars.

Plus, what will Canada be without Quebec and the francophones, a smaller and culturally poor United States? There is not much unique national identity to speak of.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Hence the resentment.
I am surprised that that kind of Anglo-supremacy exists in what is clearly a Francophone locale. Even in the United States as you approach the border, the signs are in English and French ("Exit/Sortie") and we lack a national language although some seem to want a certain non-Portuguese Iberian language to dominate. I would really expect anyone trying to survive in a bilingual society, especially living in the place of the minority language, to know that language.

The last time I was there, I was expecting everyone to speak to me in French. Instead, only the toothless prostitutes and beggars did... then when I played dumb, they went to near perfect English.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I think being the minority in Canada, the French has the right and responsibility to protect their French culture and heritage, and to some extent, some extreme measures are necessary. For example, if all Francophones love to speak English on a daily basis to communicate with other residents, I would be very worried about the future of the French language in Quebec. I love the fact that they often show too much pride in their language and culture to the extent of "looking down on Anglophones".

The problem really is, the percentage of francophones who can speak decent English is way higher than vise-versa. So if you are worried about being looking down for not speaking French, why not learn French if you ever need to go to Quebec? I came to Canada, and I learned English.

Who are more arrogant? I don't know. In my understanding, French Canadians only expect to protect the French culture in Quebec as much as they can, while Anglophones often think having a francophone province within the country is a pain in the ass and if possible, they hope francophones should be forced to speak English so that they themselve will have more fun in Montreal bars.
Heh, I think the problem is that in the Anglophone mind, speaking any other language other than English is a pain. Come on down to the United States and ask people how they feel about "press 1 for English".

Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
I am surprised that that kind of Anglo-supremacy exists in what is clearly a Francophone locale. Even in the United States as you approach the border, the signs are in English and French ("Exit/Sortie") and we lack a national language although some seem to want a certain non-Portuguese Iberian language to dominate. I would really expect anyone trying to survive in a bilingual society, especially living in the place of the minority language, to know that language.

The last time I was there, I was expecting everyone to speak to me in French. Instead, only the toothless prostitutes and beggars did... then when I played dumb, they went to near perfect English.
To be fair, English-speaking people have lived in Quebec for about 200 years. That's only about half as long as the French speakers, but they have nonetheless been here for a while.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I am not surprised about the supremacy existing within a minority of Anglophones. South Africa was like that, with the minority having a superiority complex against the majority of the population.
As for what you said about expecting to speak French, I made a friend from Quebec(actually, I have two friends from Quebec now). They are both Francophones and were delighted to find that I could speak French, but still insisted to speak to me in English. Then again, they were in the USA, but still, I kind of like speaking French with them.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Heh, I think the problem is that in the Anglophone mind, speaking any other language other than English is a pain. Come on down to the United States and ask people how they feel about "press 1 for English".
As an English speaker, it doesn't really bother me to hear press one for English. Sometimes I wonder about the person who doesn't speak Spanish and how that person would deal with not speaking English too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal