Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Only podunk towns get excited about a new Dunkin Donuts. I'm sure that would be cause for celebration in Grafton... I'd think Morgantown would be a little beyond this...
To be fair most people don't care. It is a few posters on this forum that make big deals about chain restaurants, has stations, target, cabellas, holiday inns, etc.

Where I live now people would roll their eyes if anyone cared about these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Since Evergrey is a Pitt troll who comes here mostly to stir up crap and create dissention, what would you expect from him. I lived in the NYC area for years. There, Pittsburgh is considered a podunk town. Everything is a matter of scale. We are seeing the amazing reworking of the former industrial area, Sabraton, here that continues without interruption. Dunkin Donuts is a part of that development. So it the announcement today that a new drug store will be built where the old Southern States cooperative now sits. I'll post more about that as it comes available.

Evergrey's problem is he is hopelessly stuck in an urban morass where more people are trying to get out than trying to get in. His school is smack against one of that city's worst areas. I can assure you that a new donut shop would be greeted with glee in the Hill District. They even welcomed a new Pitt dormatory there like that was some kind of economic bonanza. Give me my college town any day. He can keep his urbanized craphole.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Since Evergrey is a Pitt troll who comes here mostly to stir up crap and create dissention, what would you expect from him. I lived in the NYC area for years. There, Pittsburgh is considered a podunk town. Everything is a matter of scale. We are seeing the amazing reworking of the former industrial area, Sabraton, here that continues without interruption. Dunkin Donuts is a part of that development. So it the announcement today that a new drug store will be built where the old Southern States cooperative now sits. I'll post more about that as it comes available.

Evergrey's problem is he is hopelessly stuck in an urban morass where more people are trying to get out than trying to get in. His school is smack against one of that city's worst areas. I can assure you that a new donut shop would be greeted with glee in the Hill District. They even welcomed a new Pitt dormatory there like that was some kind of economic bonanza. Give me my college town any day. He can keep his urbanized craphole.
I dont know. Everygrey seems to like Morgantown, and is familiar with the area. He is not a big fan of WVU, but I have never really seen him troll.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont know. Everygrey seems to like Morgantown, and is familiar with the area. He is not a big fan of WVU, but I have never really seen him troll.
He trolls in a subtle manner so as to not be banned, but he is trolling in any event, like his "podunk" comment on this thread. Click on his name, then check out where he normally posts.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
He trolls in a subtle manner so as to not be banned, but he is trolling in any event, like his "podunk" comment on this thread. Click on his name, then check out where he normally posts.
I'm pretty sure that you are jumping to some major conclusions here. That post wasn't insulting Morgantown, it was just pointing out that as an increasingly large cosmopolitan town it should be above the point of being excited for a new Dunkin Donuts opening up, that's all.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but it's possible to dislike the school WVU if you are a Pitt fan and yet still like the town it resides in. It's called having an open mind that is not entirely dominated by sports.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Okay, you have a point there, but it is clear his preferences are Pittsburgh and Pitt. One wonders what would be his position on any positive developments in the craphole that is Pitt's back yard (the Hill District)? Sabraton has always been our most blighted (formerly industrialized) area, and each of these new developments here is a highly positive sign. I think we've had maybe a hundred more positive developments in Sabraton than they have had in the Hill District in the past 5 years.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I'm pretty sure that you are jumping to some major conclusions here. That post wasn't insulting Morgantown, it was just pointing out that as an increasingly large cosmopolitan town it should be above the point of being excited for a new Dunkin Donuts opening up, that's all.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but it's possible to dislike the school WVU if you are a Pitt fan and yet still like the town it resides in. It's called having an open mind that is not entirely dominated by sports.
This is correct. I love Morgantown... I even love WVU despite being an alum of Pitt and Penn State. While I'm certainly not an active "fan"... I'd say the Mountaineers are my 3rd favorite college sports program. Morgantown and WVU are all part of the greater region I live in... so of course I wish them success.

I just think it's a little ridiculous to celebrate the opening of a new Dunkin Donuts or a "NYC style" hot dog cart downtown... who has apparently been there for a couple decades before CTMountaineer discovered him.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Well, since you resorted to the time tested ShPitt tradition of name calling, it was difficult to discern your dubious good will intentions. Let me try to respond in kind. There is not a city in West Virginia that is 15% the size of Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh isn't 10% the size of New York City. Everything is relative. A new Dunkin Donuts wouldn't be noticable in Pittsburgh unless it were to be build in the Hill District or some similar neighborhood. In our little town, it merits a mention. That doesn't make us a "podunk" any more than Pittsburgh being a mere fraction of NYC makes Pittsburgh a podunk. And, our hotdog vendor is a nice touch for a small town. You mention that we have had one here for a long time. I haven't seen one on Liberty Avenue. Does that mean Pittsburgh is a podunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown