Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,012 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My spouse just received a job offer in Fairmont. I have been doing some research online for apartments or rental homes, but could use some help. We would have to rent until we sell our current home. We have a large (80 lb) dog, and I have been unable to find any place that allows big dogs. We are coming from a mid-sized mid-west city with a large university about 5 miles from us. We are used to the college town atmosphere but do not want to live right next door to student housing or student apartments. We are not concerned about schools as our kids are grown. Any suggestions on areas to live, rentals that might allow big dogs, and reputable real estate agencies would be appreciated. We are willing to spend up to $1000 a month for rent. We plan on coming in January to check out the area and hopefully will have some living options lined up to look at. Also, do most people that live in the area use the Pittsburgh airport for flights?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Now would probably be a good time to find a rental in our area because the first semester graduation will be taking place in a week or so. You can drive around and see signs for rentals, but specifically those that would permit a large pet I wouldn't know about. You should check out the Sunday Dominion Post online for real estate classifieds, and it also wouldn't hurt to contact a good real estate agent. Let me know if you want the name of one and I can PM you the information.

Our local airports (Fairmont and Clarksburg) offer commuter type flights to Washington, DC where you can make connections to any place in the world. If you want more direct flights, the Pittsburgh Airport (easily the largest airport in northern Appalachia) is around an hour from here and they have several carriers, and are an International Airport with customs and the whole works.

This is a wonderful area in which to live, with most of the amenities of a large city without most of the negatives, plus we have outstanding outdoor venues nearby. Welcome to Morgantown.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,063 times
Smile Morgantown Rentals that allow pets

Hi,

Rentals in Morgantown that allow pets are few and far between. I moved here 5 years ago with 2 dogs. First of all I got sticker shock on rent and had to beg to get my dogs allowed. You will usually pay additional deposit and rent for a pet.
Easiest airport is Pittsburgh. It is an easy drive to Morgantown, takes about 70 minutes.
Good Luck!

Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Not sure if you are still in need of rental, but DO NOT rent in Morgantown. Rent in Fairmont - MUCH cheaper and you will likely find a place that will accept your dog. Motown is high dollar because of WVU. Fairmont is relatively dirt cheap. Only problem is, it's hard to find online rentals in Fairmont - suggest a local realtor

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

49 posts, read 107,630 times
I have to somewhat agree with RVAtoCNC, I think I would look at Fairmont first, but I wouldn't rule out Morgantown.

I work in Fairmont but live in Morgantown. When I first move here a few years back from Virginia, it was really hard to find a rental that allowed dogs in Morgantown (60 lb pittbul mix & 95 lb lab mix), but I found a duplex in South Park neighborhood (google Morgantown High School for those not familiar with the area) for $750/mo. A coworker rents a comparable duplex outside Fairmont for $275 a mo.

I still live in Morgantown but bought a house last year. If it wasn't for the fact that my wife works in Morgantown and grew up in Morgantown, I would probably living in Fairmont to reduce my commute and the fact that property can be up to ~50% less than something comparable in Morgantown. I do enjoy living in Morgantown, but you DO pay for it.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM

671 posts, read 1,056,970 times
But for $500 more/month you don't have to live in Fairmont. Pretty fair pricing.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Removed (discussing other poster) Morgantown IS expensive compared to everywhere else in the state due to the students. This isn't really a debatable point...and it's a pretty important thing to bring up in a discussion with someone moving to the area who will work in Fairmont. Morgantown is a nice place to live, but, like everywhere else, it has drawbacks like horrific traffic, high rent (to straight up predatory land lords), the students taking over, etc. It is unfair to people doing research on a town to promote this nutty suppression of anything negative about Morgantown.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-07-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
If you don't like to read my posts, most of which come straight from newspaper articles, simply ignore them. You are one sick puppy to come here and do that. I have no idea what your crappy agenda is, but we aren't talking about Tobacco Road here. We have a city that has been rated among the Nation's best by several sources, and your negativism is just sour grapes for whatever sick reason.

Since you want to come here to stir up crap, why don't you enlighten us on just where you were born, and where you were raised. Looking at an earlier post I believe I have a pretty good idea. Ah, never mind... here it is //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post16694738

For some reason there are people from your hometown who are threatened by positive developments anywhere north of Sissonville and will look for any reason to counter them. That includes some of the college students who hail from there... an illogical sort of inferiority complex. It is unfortunate that area is moving in a different direction than NCWV, but we have absolutely nothing to do with that here and we are not in the habit of pointing out negatives about it. We have a gentlemen's agreement to not do that here, and for the most part folks are honoring it. It would be much appreciated if you would do the same. There is a special board to promote Charleston. I suggest you make use of it rather than trolling here.
Thought you would want to get the last word in - with the usual personal attack that goes along with it - all because I suggested to the OP who got a job in Fairmont to consider living in Fairmont because it's closer and the rent's cheaper.

Here's my last word:

"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments."

Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
RVAtoCNC and WVUPharm2007 are correct. The negatives and the positives should be given about any place when someone asks for opionions and observations. It's alright to add personal experiences and opinion when talking about a particular locale, but it should blind your perspective or the advice you give someone.

removed - discussing other poster

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-07-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Thought you would want to get the last word in - with the usual personal attack that goes along with it - all because I suggested to the OP who got a job in Fairmont to consider living in Fairmont because it's closer and the rent's cheaper.

Here's my last word:

"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments."
I invite anybody to look at your posting history then comment. You have some sort of issue with our city.
Since you're a Charleston native, one might well imagine what that happens to be, but the point is you never offer anything constructive, only negatives here. If that is okay, then it is okay for us to do that on the Charleston board too. Your posts on this board are constantly of the trolling nature.

Given the general directions of our two towns in the past decade plus, it is surprising that you would open Charleston up to such criticism by making comments like you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown