Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 02:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

WVU Medicine has ousted Walmart as West Virginia's largest employer. Mylan Pharma is #5. WVU Medicine will soon be even larger since they are in the process of hiring hundreds in Morgantown.

WV MetroNews – Wal-Mart ousted as largest employer in the state; held spot for 18 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:12 AM

203 posts, read 153,340 times
It is rumored that those 200 nursing positions may be very hard to fill and that overseas recruitment may be considered.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 AM

There is a shortage of nurses these days. Mon General is also hiring nurses. I'm sure they will do whatever it takes to get the nurses they need.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:12 PM

632 posts, read 832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Believe me, it doesn't.
You're actually pretty off-base here. In addition to the numerous restaurant, hospitality, retail, etc options, Morgantown actually has a pretty diverse amount of career opportunities for a city this size

Some of the bigger ones:

WVU
WVUH
Mon General
USDA
NIOSH
DOE
Mylan
NRCCE
Greer Industries
Neurosciences Institute
Northeast Natural Energy
PNC
FCX Systems
Gabriel Brothers

And within a 30 minute drive of other places like:

NASA
NOAA
Lockheed Martin
Bombardier
FBI
Pratt & Whitney
Aurora
Calfrac
Chevron

Old 11-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
You're actually pretty off-base here. In addition to the numerous restaurant, hospitality, retail, etc options, Morgantown actually has a pretty diverse amount of career opportunities for a city this size

Some of the bigger ones:

WVU
WVUH
Mon General
USDA
NIOSH
DOE
Mylan
NRCCE
Greer Industries
Neurosciences Institute
Northeast Natural Energy
PNC
FCX Systems
Gabriel Brothers

And within a 30 minute drive of other places like:

NASA
NOAA
Lockheed Martin
Bombardier
FBI
Pratt & Whitney
Aurora
Calfrac
Chevron
Add to that list USDA, Protea, WVNET and the Federal Corrections system. We easily have the most diversified and solid local economy in our state.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:21 PM

456 posts, read 603,175 times
all the nurse that need to be hired should be good news for local college nursing programs. I'm sure all the local hospitals are recruiting for these graduates. Morgantown hospitals pay more than most other local hospitals but may have to up the ante if they want to keep them in state. with all the new things coming to Morgantown that should start getting easier. now to get better housing options for the 24=35 year old group in downtown and in the area in general. WVU medicine should be involved to insure this happens

Old 11-05-2016, 04:23 PM

632 posts, read 832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Add to that list USDA, Protea, WVNET and the Federal Corrections system. We easily have the most diversified and solid local economy in our state.

Had the USDA listed but the others are good additions

Old 11-05-2016, 04:51 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Can add KeyLogic, they employ over 100 people, but in extension the company is contractors for NASA and DOE/NETL

Old 11-05-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Had the USDA listed but the others are good additions
Indeed you did. Somehow I overlooked that. KeyLogic absolutely belongs in the list too, Matt is right. And there are some viable startup's too, such as Sustain U and the company that employees former coal miners in making mining equipment.

Real estate is a significant employer here too, both from the construction and the sales ends.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:05 PM

120 posts, read 151,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, there are plenty of good paying research jobs here, and Mylan is known to be a generous employer. In addition, since the school is home to a doctoral level national university, there are tons of academics running around here with 6 figure incomes. I'm not sure what field you are talking about, but our city has a lot of good paying jobs for a small city.
I should have qualified my statement better. I meant good paying jobs with companies that are actually hiring (like the medical industry is) and that do not have very strict requirements in the form of several years experience doing a very specific thing with a very specific degree requirement. There are tons of applicants per job in this town for terrible paying jobs along with what you might consider well paying jobs (i.e. engineering). This town is definitely an employer's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown