Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

Small, high end housing development will replace Sabraton School on 6 acres.

https://www.dominionpostlive.com/201...hool-location/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Lack of zoning in the county came up on the WestRidge thread. By it's nature a development like WestRidge provides basic protections for it's tenants.

I will post some added info here as there was some interest in the zoning topic. This is not colored by my opinion but a news report. This may give people not familiar or new to area an idea of how far away we are from zoning. Zoning dictates land use.

Even basic subdivision regulations cannot be agreed on here. There currently is no standard. Bare bones things like having an adequate road and providing storm water management. A public hearing in 2017 brought out a dozen or so developers who complained of wording in those proposed regulations. One issue was that high density developments are to provide sidewalks on both sides for residents. (sounds reasonable to me )

This report is from Nov 2018. I can find no news updates to this story so I have no idea where this issue stands. With all the building that has been going on in the county for decades, this may illustrate how far we are behind.

Subdivision regulations allow for governing bodies to ensure safe and proper development of roads, storm water management, utilities, right of ways, and other infrastructure needs.
Many proposals have been made by the Monongalia County Planning Commission about these regulations, but agreements couldn’t be made.
The commission made the decision to fund a group that will take these proposals and make a finished product for a presentation on land-use sub-division regulations.

“Right now if you have a problem with water runoff from your neighbor, you have one address, and that is, you may sue your neighbor. That’s it. So we would like to have some sort of standard for all of the subdivisions that are being built.

https://www.wboy.com/news/local/mono...n-regulations/

This second article points out we are even behind other counties in WV on this issue. Yet we are growing faster than most.

Similar ordinances are in place in Kanawha, Greenbrier, Putnam, Morgan, Mineral, Berkely, and Jefferson counties already — setting minimum standards for big developers.

WV MetroNews Proposed Monongalia County ordinance aims to better regulate large developers like Eastern Panhandle - WV MetroNews

Last edited by motownnative; 07-02-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 348,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

I lived right by here for about 5 years so it’s especially exciting for me to hear they are doing something with the school since I used to drive past it everyday. When is it supposed to be done?

Old 07-02-2019, 10:06 AM

I’m assuming that’s the old Woodburn elementary, is that right CT?

Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
I’m assuming that’s the old Woodburn elementary, is that right CT?
No, this is the old school in Sabraton on Listravia, near the McDonalds.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification

Old 07-06-2019, 06:45 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
Saw it mentioned on Facebook, but Enterprise is supposedly building next to Sheetz off of Exit 1.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:06 AM

120 posts, read 151,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

This town doesn't need high end developments. It needs affordable developments.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Affordable rentals will always be hard to come by in Morgantown. The expanding healthcare field, Westridge businesses, and 20,000+ students drive demand sky high.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
While affordable developments are always needed (and I pause to think this site is the best for new "luxury" housing), increasing the housing stock at all does work to increase availability of affordable housing. Here's a good write-up, IMO: https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...-yimby/591061/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown