Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 AM

334 posts, read 495,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Not at all ... I'm the one who needs to apologize. Indeed, it was my mistake and I am sorry. I should have looked more closely as I thought your post was directed toward me, but I can see clearly that it was not. My bad. My only excuse is I just had a bit of a squabble with my wife and it caught me in a bad frame of mind, so to speak.
It's all good brother. We've all been there.

Anything anti-Luck upsets me to a default (which is why I hate WVRC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 01:08 PM

158 posts, read 247,080 times
WVRC was a good mom and pop outfit that Luck sued out of town. Despicable hillbilly behavior if you ask me!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
I must take issue. WVRC is radio in West Virginia. It is the comprehensive, high quality, available anywhere radio that built the Mountaineer fan base into one of the Nation's best. People grew up listening to those great football and basketball teams of the 1950s on WVRC radio. I have always supported Oliver, and would continue to do so, but the quality of radio provided by WVRC was legendary. Some of you are too young to remember Jack Flemming and Co. but they were the best of the best. Comparitively speaking, much of our state falls into the "poor" category and most of those people are lucky if they can afford to go to a football game once per year. WVRC brought that game to them, and it made that game come alive for them.

The slight of WVRC was political in nature, which makes it despicable. It is my only criticism of the Luck regime. I have no idea how much Oliver was involved with that, but it was wrong. Bray Cary was given preferential treatment (probably for political reasons too), which is equally wrong. Regardless of politics, WVRC provided top notch service to our University and to the people of our state for decades. That should count for something. The political battle between Raese and that certain former governor and current US Senator (who has never done anything that wasn't negative for his alma mater) absolutely should not have carried over into a school that belongs to everyone regardless of politics, and it divided the wealthy support group into two camps to the detriment of the institution. Bringing that about was a huge mistake, and my hope is that the new AD will be able to heal the rift. By the way, the greatest benefactor our state has ever known (Milan Puskar) was in the other camp. WVRC should have had every consideration then some given WV Media.

And, yellowman, your ethnic slights of our Appalachian people are getting more than a bit tiresome. The people of our state were for more than a century exploited by your pals east of the Blue Ridge, thus they have a little catching up to do, but they are every bit as intelligent, and in many ways more sophisticated than your bubble headed space cadets.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I was another that wasn't upset when it was reported that Luck was leaving. I think some of the recent attempts to bring back some of the old rivalry games was an acknowledgement that going to a conference with most of the teams out west where WVU will struggle just to make a bowl game wasn't good for the long term.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was another that wasn't upset when it was reported that Luck was leaving. I think some of the recent attempts to bring back some of the old rivalry games was an acknowledgement that going to a conference with most of the teams out west where WVU will struggle just to make a bowl game wasn't good for the long term.
Agreed... I think WVU did what they had to do after being spurned by the ACC... but I hope they're formulating a long term strategy to join either the ACC, Big Ten or SEC.

WVU is the the most geographically awkward situation in the Big 5.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM

I really don't get that it is that important in this day and age. Regardless of conference, most games require teams to travel by air. It isn't really that much longer to travel to Texas than it is Florida, and the Big 10 is just as spread out as is the XII. So is the ACC. And, all those old rivals are now spread out into different conferences so there is no way to keep them all together. Also, the argument that away games are harder to get to for fans holds little weight too because only a limited number of fans get into away games anyway, and we have enough fans in Texas to more than fit the bill. Recruiting has also picked up because we can now recruit in Texas... check out the rankings of our recruiting classes.

The ACC is the weakest of those leagues, by far, and now that Notre Dame has their sweetheart deal with them it is likely they will break apart within the next few years just as did the Big East. Just wait until Florida State doesn't have the record to make the playoffs and they get snubbed for a bowl in favor of a Notre Dame team that has one more loss and you will see what I mean. Besides, the ACC is the only Power 5 conference that does not have even one true marquis team on a level with Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, etc.

The attempt to get some of the old rivals on the schedule is an attempt to maintain more of an east coast presence, that's true, and an attempt to maintain tradition, but we are just fine in our league, and having most of our old rivals on the slate regularly would be a major step down in terms of quality of opponents. When the regular season games are so good, getting to certain bowl games isn't as pressing an issue.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
When you regularly have games against Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor and the like bowl games don't have quite the same sense of urgency as they do when your schedule has only Pitt, Boston College, USF, UConn and the like. And, in the end all the surviving Power 5 leagues will be of the quality that it won't be easy to get to a bowl game because the weak sister of the Power 5 ... the ACC, is doomed by their special arrangement with Notre Dame and the fact that they don't have a top flight marquis athletic program. Being in the XII might not be as optimum as being in the SEC or Big 10, but it is a whole lot better than being in the ACC. I happen to believe the XII will expand within the next couple years and we will get a closer opponent, and when the ACC self destructs they will have their pick of a couple more too.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
When you regularly have games against Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor and the like bowl games don't have quite the same sense of urgency as they do when your schedule has only Pitt, Boston College, USF, UConn and the like.
Hardly. Start missing bowl games and see how long your job lasts. I expect you to defend WVU no matter what they do and sometimes I agree and sometimes not but lol, you aren't going to convince anyone that playing Texas and Oklahoma every year is more important than going to bowl games.

Miss out on many bowl games and you aren't going to be able to recruit the top players either.

Quote:
And, in the end all the surviving Power 5 leagues will be of the quality that it won't be easy to get to a bowl game because the weak sister of the Power 5 ... the ACC, is doomed by their special arrangement with Notre Dame and the fact that they don't have a top flight marquis athletic program. Being in the XII might not be as optimum as being in the SEC or Big 10, but it is a whole lot better than being in the ACC. I happen to believe the XII will expand within the next couple years and we will get a closer opponent, and when the ACC self destructs they will have their pick of a couple more too.
The ACC isn't going to self destruct either.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Hardly. Start missing bowl games and see how long your job lasts. I expect you to defend WVU no matter what they do and sometimes I agree and sometimes not but lol, you aren't going to convince anyone that playing Texas and Oklahoma every year is more important than going to bowl games.

Miss out on many bowl games and you aren't going to be able to recruit the top players either.

The ACC isn't going to self destruct either.
We aren't going to miss many bowl games, but it will be harder to get those Orange, Sugar and Fiesta Bowl invites. You have your opinion about the relatively weak ACC, but all you have to do is look to Big East 1 to prognosticate the future for that league long term. History indicates that they will self destruct to the point of needing to merge with the American Conference to survive, and it will be Duke and Wake doing the merging. Both the SEC and the B1G are likely to want a presence in North Carolina, the heart and soul of the ACC, and the SEC is likely to want into Virginia to get into the DC/Baltimore market as well. You can connect the dots from there. All they have to do is determine which domino they want to fall first.

Also, it is well known that Florida State is not thrilled with the level of competition in that league. They've been lucky to have near perfect records the past couple of years, but most feel that they need perfect records in the ACC to get a playoff birth given the weak competitive environment there. They also lucked out this year given the split championship in the much stronger XII.

All you really have to do though to gauge the strength of the ACC is go to a Pitt game, and see 20,000 people who paid $10 to sit in a 60,000 seat stadium to see Pitt play an ACC opponent. It's almost as bad as a mid major these days. They do have more money than mid majors though, which is why they are likely to get Doc Holliday there as a coach if rumors floating around bear out to be true.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Holgerson is likely looking over his shoulder to see what Holliday is doing. Especially now that Luck is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown