Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM

51 posts, read 222,563 times

Advertisements

Just a curiosity questions here. When applying for a loan, if you have a recent large deposit, say like $25000, why does the bank want proof of where these funds come from. Why do they care?

Mine was a gift, i have to do a gift affidavit. Just wondering whats the different where it comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
I know it seems crazy, but not everyone is honest about the source of their money.

If large deposits were borrowed (meaning you have to pay it back), it has a significant impact on your ability to make mortgage payments. Don't you think?

Sounds like you would have loved Countrywide and their lending standards.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I know it seems crazy, but not everyone is honest about the source of their money.

If large deposits were borrowed (meaning you have to pay it back), it has a significant impact on your ability to make mortgage payments. Don't you think?

Sounds like you would have loved Countrywide and their lending standards.
Ah, makes sense now. I have never thought like a loan shark before , but yeah I can see that if this deposit was actually a loan then it should not be counted as assets.

got it.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxpower View Post
Ah, makes sense now. I have never thought like a loan shark before , but yeah I can see that if this deposit was actually a loan then it should not be counted as assets.

got it.
Or if it came from selling crack that may be important information for the bank to know as well.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Or if it came from selling crack that may be important information for the bank to know as well.
yeah, then you would definitely get the loan because you have a secure income stream in an unstable economy

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
The bigger part of the picture is that on FHA, you are allowed to obtain a "gift" to buy a house for any amount of the down payment and closing costs. On a conventional, you must have at least 5% of your own money before a "gift" is allowed. They want to make sure you're using your own money to buy the house.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 AM

55 posts, read 267,722 times
Another 2 reasons for having to document the source of the large deposits:

* It's required by Federal statute for loans that are backed by the government that all deposits over $1,000 are sourced and documented

* Part of the loan program you are going through might require that a certain percentage of the down payment came directly from your earned funds. I view it as the banks want to make sure you have skin in the game and arent just passing through funds that were gifted to you.

I just went through a series of back and forths with our mortgage broker regarding a number of cash deposits between $1k & $5k that were made in our accounts that were gifts for post-purchase renovations. The program we are going through provides up to 100% LTV, however, the buyer must put at least $1,000 of their own funds into the transaction at closing. In the end it wasn't a huge deal as we had more than sufficient funds in our bank accounts to cover the $3,500 we had put into the transaction that could be directly sourced from my salary.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
How's this for nonsense? We recently closed on a conventional loan. We had a sizeable downpayment (greater than 50% of home price) consisting of equity from a previous home and liquidation of some mutual funds. At application provided proof of the mutual funds and the equity which was parked in a savings account (and the HUD-1 showing how much we netted from home sale). After closing, the bank sold our loan. New bank wanted to see "where the money came from." Thinking they were concerned that the mutual fund money came from a gift, I gave them copies of my year-end statements from last year showing the same # of shares. Oh no, not good enough. I had to show statements where the mutual funds were liquidated (we did this after the loan application) AND bank statements showing where we deposited the mutual fund money into our checking account. I gave them the first page of the bank statements with the recap of the month's business, and the pages which listed each deposit but didn't give them the pages with all my checks and debit card transaction detail, since I didn't think it had anything to do with "where the money came from" and wasn't any of their damn business where I was spending my "other" money - remember, this was after closing. But they kept after me so I finally just gave the whole statement because I was so sick of hearing from them and there was some statement we signed during closing that we would "cooperate fully with documentation if loan was sold" and would be liable for all legal fees associated with any non-cooperation.

The loan was sold to BB&T in North Carolina. I'd steer clear of these clowns if you can avoid it.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I would have done everything I could to not give them one single item.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:24 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
How's this for nonsense? We recently closed on a conventional loan. We had a sizeable downpayment (greater than 50% of home price) consisting of equity from a previous home and liquidation of some mutual funds. At application provided proof of the mutual funds and the equity which was parked in a savings account (and the HUD-1 showing how much we netted from home sale). After closing, the bank sold our loan. New bank wanted to see "where the money came from." Thinking they were concerned that the mutual fund money came from a gift, I gave them copies of my year-end statements from last year showing the same # of shares. Oh no, not good enough. I had to show statements where the mutual funds were liquidated (we did this after the loan application) AND bank statements showing where we deposited the mutual fund money into our checking account. I gave them the first page of the bank statements with the recap of the month's business, and the pages which listed each deposit but didn't give them the pages with all my checks and debit card transaction detail, since I didn't think it had anything to do with "where the money came from" and wasn't any of their damn business where I was spending my "other" money - remember, this was after closing. But they kept after me so I finally just gave the whole statement because I was so sick of hearing from them and there was some statement we signed during closing that we would "cooperate fully with documentation if loan was sold" and would be liable for all legal fees associated with any non-cooperation.

The loan was sold to BB&T in North Carolina. I'd steer clear of these clowns if you can avoid it.
I find it hilarious when a bank who buys a loan does a high degree of due diligence on the viability of the note, you take "issue" with it... even when you specifically say yourself that you signed over permission for them to do so.

Seems real backwards to me and something that only confirms I'm glad that I bank with BB&T instead of the real TBTF clown banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages