Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a LIBOR rate loan? How low is your rate and how often does it adjust? My rate is 2.78% and adjusts every 6 months. I would like to sell this house and buy another house before rates climb back up. I am looking to buy within 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM

768 posts, read 4,342,591 times
Adjustable rate loans typically adjust every 6 or 12 months. The exception were the monthly Pay Option ARM's which adjusted every 1 month. The LIBOR index tends to be a more volatile index, meaning when rates are low it'll be one of the lowest and when rates are high it tends to be one of the highest. Most margins (index + margin = your interest rate/fully indexed interest rate) are 2-2.75%, and given the low LIBOR rate (0.43%), the fully indexed rates should be right around where yours are. Realize that some people have an ARM that is still in the initial fixed rate period, so their rate wouldn't be based on the index + margin yet.

I don't see how the second part of your post, about selling & then buying, directly relates to the first part. Was there an additional question you had relating to buying & selling? Were you thinking about purchasing a home with another LIBOR ARM and that is why you wanted to find out what the going LIBOR ARM rates are? Most ARM's will have an initial fixed period, usually anywhere from 1-10 years, at an interest rate that is higher than the current fully indexed rates on ARMs (shorter term ARM's aren't much higher - still in the 3's). Finding a 1-month ARM, where the fully indexed rate is immediately based on the current index, are tougher to find.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
I would like to sell my home with the Libor before interest rates climb back up. I would also like to buy another home with a fixed rate VA loan. My Libor was fixed for 5 years but I am in the adjustment period now.
That's was a great explanation!! Thanks!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 AM

768 posts, read 4,342,591 times
You are welcome. I don't think your LIBOR rate will get unmanageable for the next couple years, although I could see it getting to 5-6%. Depending on how you think home values may go, and your financial position in relation to mortgage interest deduction and what not, it'd be wise to talk to a few agents to find out what your home could sell for now vs. what the market is projected to do 2 years from now. There is quite a bit to consider, and it'd be wise to talk to some professionals to see what potential obstacles there could be, if any, with your plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages