Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM

49 posts, read 276,329 times

Advertisements

Ok I think I fixed the messaging thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
Income needs to be documented with 2yrs full tax returns...last 2yrs of w-2's, 2paystubs with at least 30days of pay/YTD, 2months of FULL bank statements, all asset statements.

If you have good credit AND you're putting money down, then the Underwriter might REQUIRE LESS. I recommend that you have ALL of this ready to give to any lender.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM

Banker---when you say you need 2 years of documentation, what if, like my fiance, he just started in his career? Do they not count him as making as much as he is if it's a recent employment? I mean, I have copies of our tax returns, but they definitely don't reflect how much he is actually making.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:40 PM

if salaried or hourly wage, the probably no.
if commissioned, selfemployed, overtime, definitely YES.

it will help the file to support income, but salary or fixed wages generally override the 2yr tax returns.

If he is receiving commissions then it's different ballgame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDurmie View Post
Banker---when you say you need 2 years of documentation, what if, like my fiance, he just started in his career? Do they not count him as making as much as he is if it's a recent employment? I mean, I have copies of our tax returns, but they definitely don't reflect how much he is actually making.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:47 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,296 times
Quote:
When my husband and our bought our house, he had his written job offer that stated his salary was to be $x a year. Since he had just come out of grad school, it was 3.5x higher than what was in his previous returns. They accepted that for his income since we were buying the house off of his income. Things might be different now with the mortgage meltdown though.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Phew!!! Ok well he's hourly, so I guess that's good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
You and your husband make 110K, that's $9,166 per month. With little debt that you have, why not save up some money for down payment and go regular 30 year fixed loan? Don't get yourself into 20/80. How long have you been making these money, why don't you have any savings?
Are you in your 20's trying to buy a $250,000 house?? They will be just fine buying a home with as little as $0 down. They will be able to get a 30 year fixed rate. It is nearly impossible for 1s time homebuyers to save up 20% down in today's world. With their income there is no reason to waste years renting when they could own on very favorable terms.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
If it's his career out of college that should be ok. I did the same thing. We bought a home 3 months after I started my "real" career job. It worked out fine. Oh, and I'm salaried.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,783 times
Renting isn't always "wasting" your money since in most markets you pay much less in rent than for a comparable mortgage. If you're making 110k after taxes though, it really shouldn't take long to save 50k for a 20% downpayment - surely less than a year once other expenses have been paid. However, if they go ahead and borrow 100%, it shouldn't take them too long to pay off that first 20%, so I don't think it would be too bad.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM

You should be fine if you're not claiming overtime for hourly wages.

Quote:
Phew!!! Ok well he's hourly, so I guess that's good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages