Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM

61 posts, read 151,441 times

Advertisements

Background - My father passed away about 2 years ago. He had a credit card and I was an authorized user. The account was not paid, and the credit card company has put this on my credit report as a charge off. For the first year or so, it said I was deceased and it was charged off. I disputed the charge off, as I am not dead or responsible (as I was an authorized user, NOT a joint account holder). They finally took off the deceased part, but still show as a charge off.

I am considering purchasing a home in the near future and want to know if I would be required to pay off the charge off as a condition of getting the mortgage.

I would be putting down at least 20% and my credit score is regularly from 710-760.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
An authorized user has zero financial responsibility on fhe account. You just happen to have a pulse. Write all three bureaus and tell them "xxxx" credit card is incorrectly reporting you and why. Send them a copy of the death certificate. The three bureaus are Experian, Equifax, and Transunion and their info can be found the web.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Yeah, been there, done that.

They brought me back to the living, but "verified" the debt. Creditor also "verifies" debt. Next step law suit, which is impractical. I have a very common name and have played the game before, extensively. You can't prove a negative.

So, I need to know if I would be able to get a mortgage without paying this off and with it still on my credit report.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
I don't know if this will help, but when my late wife died she had a couple credit cards in her name. The card companies asked me if I'd ever used the cards. I hadn't. They both said since I'd never used them I didn't have to pay the balances (of a few hundred bucks).

Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,315 times
To answer your question, you most likely won't have to pay it. You will have to write a letter explaining it.

Your credit and down payment look good. If your income and debt are good it is time to find an agent, lender, and start looking. Get pre-approved instead of pre-qualified.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,612,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lls1662 View Post
Yeah, been there, done that.

They brought me back to the living, but "verified" the debt. Creditor also "verifies" debt. Next step law suit, which is impractical. I have a very common name and have played the game before, extensively. You can't prove a negative.

So, I need to know if I would be able to get a mortgage without paying this off and with it still on my credit report.
At this point probably not, due to the new underwriting requirements.

I found this out recently when I applied to refinance a mortgage with USAA, they use an automated system with Fannie or Freddie as the underwriter and any disputes and/or other problems have to be corrected in order for the mortgage to go through. If it's showing up and the automatic underwriter catches it you may have to find someone to do a manual underwriting process.

Last edited by bellhead; 07-31-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Does the credit report charge-off line indicate you were an authorized user?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Does the credit report charge-off line indicate you were an authorized user?

It doesn't show me as an authorized user.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
I think that's your problem. If it was reporting properly, nobody would be telling you to pay it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think that's your problem. If it was reporting properly, nobody would be telling you to pay it.

Yeah, but if I could get them to change it, the charge off wouldn't be there in the first place. I had other accounts where I was an authorized user, and had no problems. It's just this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages