Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM

17 posts, read 64,466 times

Advertisements

Is there a reason why I should not file the complaint with CFPB now? I have a request in at the Congressional Reps office and am waiting to hear from someone (hopefully today). I did call FHA Connection again this morning (fourth time since March). The lady I spoke with this time said she couldn't provide eligibility date information (again). I asked why and she said if my Lender's underwriter called they could get the explanation as to why some claims have dates and others don't. I know theyve had not luck either. I'm the consumer with the claim, why can't you provide me the information? Sorry ma'am. The Lender also forwarded and email they sent to HUD requesting the date back in June with no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Here is how to complain directly to HUD:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

For questions or complaints about FHA loans or programs, contact our FHA Resource Center:
- Find the answer online
- Email us
- Call toll-free (800) CALL-FHA (800-225-5342)

If this is the same number you've already been calling, I think you need to specify that you want to be escalated straight to the complaints department/a supervisor as you've called in several times already.

The CFPB's website complaint form is designed to complain about banks in the private sector. I don't see that you can even select HUD as your complainant.

Since the CFPB beats its drum a lot about "open government," it would be great if they could turn their eyes a bit inward onto HUD!

Open government > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Daisy, I found another link that seems more to the point:

Current FHA guide section 4155.1, chapter 4, section A.2 G

4155.1 4.A.2.g Waiting Period for Borrowers With Past Delinquencies, Defaults or Claims on FHA Loans

If the borrower has had past delinquencies or has defaulted on an FHA-insured loan, there is a three-year waiting period before he/she can regain eligibility for another FHA-insured mortgage.
The three-year waiting period begins when FHA pays the initial claim to the lender. This includes deed-in-lieu of foreclosure, as well as judicial and other forms of foreclosures.
Lenders should contact the Homeownership Center (HOC) having jurisdiction over the area where the property subject to default is located for information such as the date the claim was paid, and
date of the initial default.

The link below will help you find your local HOC:

Contact HUD Homeownership Center

It does say lenders should call.. so I don't know if they'll tell you anything if you call.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM

Is there some reason I should not file the complaint with the CFPB now? I have a request into my congressional reps office and also contacted FHA Connection again today hoping they old pull a date out of their hat. No luck. They, once again said they could not provide a date for the claim and the woman said some claims just don't have dates. This doesn't make sense to me. I feel as though I'm banging my head against a wall.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM

The HOC isn't the same thing as FHA Connection. The quoted text above states an exact place to contact to answer the exact question you're asking.

Secondly, I don't think CFPB is set up to deal with FHA complaints. You can sure go ahead and try the CFPB.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Wow, not sure what happen with my first post, but it seemed to disappear and the 2nd was a rewrite, so my apologies for the redundancy. I've been calling 800-225-5342 for the claim update. Below is an email the woman sent to me today after speaking with her on guidelines. I will attempt to call and escalate tomorrow. Going by the below, its a little unclear which guideline we'd actually fall under. Im not sure what the differentiator between a preforeclsure sale and FHA pre foreclosure program. We were urrent on the loan prior to entering the short sale process, but the bank required us to be 30 days late before entering the shortsale program. I'm guess that means we fall under the pre-foreclosure program and our eligibility is based on the date the claim was paid, which we don't know unless FHA connection or HUD can answer or Wells Fargo is kind enough to provide the information in response to my written request (not really holding my breath). I did just get a call from the congressional rep, so hopefully their inquiry will help.

Email from FHA connection:

Thank you for contacting the FHA Resource Center, a response to your inquiry is provided below. If the information does not fully address your question, please forward this email (do not reply) to answers@hud.gov, and provide additional information so that we may better serve you. You may also speak directly to a customer service representative by calling 1-800-CALL-FHA (1-800-225-5342) or visit our online knowledge base at FHAFAQ, 24 hours/7 days a week.

FAQ: What are the guidelines for borrowers with a short sale on a previous principal residence?

When a previously owned property was sold for less than what was owed (short sale), borrowers are considered eligible for a FHA insured mortgage if, as of the loan application date, all mortgage and installment debt payments were made within the month due for the twelve months preceding the short sale.

Borrowers that were in default at the time of the short sale (or pre-foreclosure sale) are not eligible for three years from the date of the sale.

Borrowers who sold their property under the FHA pre-foreclosure sale program are not eligible for three years from the date that FHA paid the claim associated with the pre-foreclosure sale.

Lenders may make exceptions for borrowers in default at the time of short sale if
• The default was due to circumstances beyond the borrower’s control (such as death of a primary wage earner, long term uninsured illness, etc.); and
• The credit report reflects satisfactory credit prior to the circumstances (beyond the borrower’s control) that caused the default.

Borrowers who pursued a short sale agreement on their principal residence to take advantage of declining market conditions and purchase a similar or superior property within a reasonable commuting distance are not eligible for a new FHA insured mortgage.

ML 09-52
Handbook 4155.1: 4.C.2.I

DISCLAIMER: All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM

let me know if you try calling the HOC and if they're more helpful than the regular 800 number.

Also, if they say they can't tell you anything because you're not a lender, ask your loan processor to call.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM

The only phone number provided for the Denver HOC is the 800# for FHA resource center. It gives an address but no other phone number...at least that I'm seeing.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
The Resource Center will not be able to assist with a claim (or you will be going the long way around). Ask your loan officer for the 800 number given when they pulled the report that gave the claim number.

Debsi, have you ever called on a claim before? The last ones I had were not even into the HUD office, but a federal collection office.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM

No, I'm just going by what the stinking regs say... don't get me started on whether they truly do what they say they do...

I have filed many HUD claims, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages