Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 08:44 AM

959 posts, read 1,826,383 times

Advertisements

Our buyers private lender said they did not approve his loan due to a low appraisal. I knew nothing of this, it was never mentioned to me and buyer wants to back out and get escrow money back. However, I believe they must have only done a desktop appraisal because I was never informed an appraisal actually even happened. Can HML's use a desktop only appraisal and deny because of that? And would I, the buyer, be allowed to know that an appraisal had actually been done? Shouldn't I be aware of something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:08 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,714,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Our buyers private lender said they did not approve his loan due to a low appraisal. I knew nothing of this, it was never mentioned to me and buyer wants to back out and get escrow money back. However, I believe they must have only done a desktop appraisal because I was never informed an appraisal actually even happened. Can HML's use a desktop only appraisal and deny because of that? And would I, the buyer, be allowed to know that an appraisal had actually been done? Shouldn't I be aware of something like that?
Hard money lenders often use avm's to see if a property is even worth a "real" appraisal. A "real" appraisal can be a drive-by too, and many appraisers in my area have their own e-keys, so they can access vacant homes without begging an agent. So you might not even know that a real appraisal was done. As a seller, what you can "allow" is specified in your purchase contract.

The buyer often clearly states in the purchase agreement that they will "apply for a 30yr fixed loan with $xx down at a rate not to exceed x% within x days of offer acceptance". - if they complied with that & didn't get a loan at the stated rate & term, then you're done. Get the denial letter & release the funds & remarket the property.

Fwiw, a hard-money-lender offer isn't nearly as good as a "conventional" offer - they're basically loan-sharks & the terms are awful - the only time it makes sense to use hard money, is if the buyer is planning on flipping the property. The other side is, a hard-money offer shouldn't tie up your property for long, I'd expect a two-week close at most. Anyone trying to tie the property up for longer than that isn't qualified to buy a bike at Walmart, they're most likely late-night TV addicts looking to make a fast buck based on some "system" that requires the seller to take all the risk.

Last edited by Zippyman; 07-20-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages