Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 AM

30 posts, read 21,927 times

Advertisements

The City-Data community has been helpful in the past, I'm hoping that anyone with a similar experience or first hand knowledge of a situation like this could chime in.

I'm planning on buying a home here in the near future, but I'm trying to improve my credit right now. In a few days I will be able to pay down my outstanding credit card balances to below 30%. It appears that this will get me close to a 700 credit score.

I have a couple questions..

When applying for a mortgage, will the lender simply look at my current score, or will they look at recent fluctuations? Obviously I'm hoping for the former, but I'm expecting the latter.

When should I attempt to get pre-qualified? As soon as my credit score reaches it's plateau? Before? Well after?

I'm anxious to get going, but if waiting is the right thing to do and will result in a better interest rate, then I'll just have to deal with it.

Appreciate any help/advice you could give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:20 AM

383 posts, read 385,143 times
Whatever the middle score is on your report at the time it is what the lender will go by. Wait until after you have paid down your credit card and your score improves before getting prequalified.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,326,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreau View Post
The City-Data community has been helpful in the past, I'm hoping that anyone with a similar experience or first hand knowledge of a situation like this could chime in.

I'm planning on buying a home here in the near future, but I'm trying to improve my credit right now. In a few days I will be able to pay down my outstanding credit card balances to below 30%. It appears that this will get me close to a 700 credit score.

I have a couple questions..

When applying for a mortgage, will the lender simply look at my current score, or will they look at recent fluctuations? Obviously I'm hoping for the former, but I'm expecting the latter.

When should I attempt to get pre-qualified? As soon as my credit score reaches it's plateau? Before? Well after?

I'm anxious to get going, but if waiting is the right thing to do and will result in a better interest rate, then I'll just have to deal with it.

Appreciate any help/advice you could give!
Do it right now. Your Lender SHOULD be able to run an Analysis that specifies what to pay down, by how much, to get optimal scoring uplift with minimal cash outlay. And then update your credit for you in about 4 days. And it should be free. Make this a screening question to prospective Lenders. It has different names: Credit Bureau Update, Quick Update, Scoring Analysis, etc.

I'm doing one literally right now, popping a borrower's score by 55 points based on a total spend of about $300.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 21,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Do it right now. Your Lender SHOULD be able to run an Analysis that specifies what to pay down, by how much, to get optimal scoring uplift with minimal cash outlay. And then update your credit for you in about 4 days. And it should be free. Make this a screening question to prospective Lenders. It has different names: Credit Bureau Update, Quick Update, Scoring Analysis, etc.

I'm doing one literally right now, popping a borrower's score by 55 points based on a total spend of about $300.

I've always had it in my head that the Lender is the "bad guy" and would be more of an adversary when it comes to my credit score, rather than a source of help. The more I read, now I'm seeing that it's more the Underwriter that I have to worry about.

Edit: Would I be better off working with a local Lenders for this? I typically do things online, but I'm wondering if something like this would be easier in person.

Last edited by deathreau; 03-29-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,326,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreau View Post
I've always had it in my head that the Lender is the "bad guy" and would be more of an adversary when it comes to my credit score, rather than a source of help. The more I read, now I'm seeing that it's more the Underwriter that I have to worry about.

Edit: Would I be better off working with a local Lenders for this? I typically do things online, but I'm wondering if something like this would be easier in person.
Better off working with whoever picks up the phone and sounds like they care, can spell, and meets the first couple expectations.

I'm in Oregon but do a lot of work in FL and all over.

Lenders don't get paid unless you close - even Underwriters don't get bonused. Their job is to keep it between the lines but also help find a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages