Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 03:54 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Of course.
But, you now agree that you don't expose buyers' full capabilities to the sellers' side of the transaction.

That is fundamental to the conversation.
So fundamental I never would have assumed anyone believed otherwise.

I would have said "Well duh!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 01:42 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I've not heard of a seller asking for more, simply because they can see that the buyer can afford it.

I have. Of course, the seller or agent are not going to tell the buyer, "You qualify for more, so let's have more."
But, are you certain that a counteroffer from a seller is not formed because they see that the buyer has a ton of headroom?
Probably should not be certain of that, methinks.
If no one is bidding against you, the seller can ask for the moon and you can just say no. When I bought my current house, the seller asked for Best And Final, which I gave, and then came back asking for more. That was annoying. I told my agent I gave BAF. They can take it or leave it. They took it.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:02 AM

175 posts, read 169,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
If no one is bidding against you, the seller can ask for the moon and you can just say no. When I bought my current house, the seller asked for Best And Final, which I gave, and then came back asking for more. That was annoying. I told my agent I gave BAF. They can take it or leave it. They took it.
Exactly. When you think about it, it's kind of bizarre that someone would assume they can ask a buyer to pay more money than they are offering 'just because they can afford it'--if the offer is already over their ask price. I have seen sellers come back for more in those situations. It's greedy and it can & does backfire. But also, sometimes, they get what they want!

If there are competing bids, then the buyer can decide to increase or not, if asked, depending on the value they place on the property. If there are no other bids, then where's the leverage?

Old 09-07-2023, 08:41 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Any LO worth your time would be able to put together a pre-approval letter specific to the property on which you are offering and stating the offered price. In the event that there are competing offers (or not); LO worth your time would also be able to send an email/text/call the listing agent to reassure them of the buyer's financial strength and they, the lender's, ability to close smoothly and on time.

This isn't meant to/doesn't convey that the buyer is spending at "the top" of their limit....but rather to show that they are working with a lender who will be involved throughout the process and is aware of the specifics.

Calling up or going to the website of a big bank and entering your info for them to run your credit and spit-out a number they think you can spend....and then sending that regurgitated generic pre-qual letter with your offer...is NOT the way to go about things, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages