Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM

308 posts, read 680,264 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have been planning on relocating from Jersey to PA. We would like to do this as soon as possible which would ofcourse be contingent upon securing jobs in PA. We are considering buying a home in PA while we are still residing and working here in NJ. We are first time home buyers and we would like to take advantage of the $8000 tax credit and the low mortgage interest rates, especially since they are now on the way up. As I understand it, to qualify for the tax credit the home has to be a primary residence. Given our scenario, would we be able to have our mortgage arranged as a primary residence? It certainly will be when we move to PA. I also need to mention that we are looking to make a down payment of between 40 -50% and we both have excellent credit. We also have an opportunity to move in with relatives and pay very low rent while making our mortgage payments on the house in PA. We would do this until we found work in PA. Does this sound like a feasible plan or am I off my rocker? Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
The primary residence must be the one you actually live in. Not what you might do down the road. You would not qualify for the $8K credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages